Just damaged one of my 22" sport wheels

daconfusion

I have a nice gouge in my front wheel and to repair it locally will not guarantee similar finish.

Are these rims really chrome? The phone conversation with a wheel shop (without actually seeing the wheel) led to them assuming a very difficult feat to do the black/"chrome or polish" refinish after repair.

So my questions:

Can anyone who has had their wheels repaired or knowledge of the process used to finish comment on repair?

If I were to repair this one, has anyone changed the color/finish of their wheels to something cheaper/more manageable? I dont want to spend 500-1k to replace or repair this wheel, when I know for sure there will be a chance I damage them again in the future.

Ill post pics if I get the heart to take some pictures.

Kind off topic.... but one of the ONLY features I miss from my 2010 GMC Terrain is the reverse-tilt rear view mirrors. With the low profile tires on these cars it's silly not to be able to SEE your wheels when parking is only asking for damage. The workaround I have is to set memory position 2 to right mirror tilt, but auto tilt would be handy.

Sorry to hear about your damage... although I thought Sports had 22" polished aluminum... easier to fix than chrome 'clad' plastic wheel covers the rest of us have.

WRT MFT, I've had my Edge Limited for almost a month and 1,000km and I've only had one issue with the radio not coming on (kind of glitching) for about five minutes after startup. Maybe I've been lucky?

I am seriously considering just having all 4 powder coated because I will damage them again in the future.

Any pictures of Sport 2011's with different color wheels?

Powder coat will not help your issues. They will just chip the same.

I like the tilt reverse idea, there's a gotta be a way to get that working.

Just found this:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php?year=Universal&make=Universal&model=Universal

Scroll down to universal reverse tilt module (standard = one mirror $60 , deluxe = both mirrors $100)

Edited by cal3thousand

if I cannot get a shop that is willing to repair the wheel (so far the ones I've called have said they cannot make the wheel look new due to complicated paint??), I can get it repaired and powder coated, then if I ever damage it again, it is fixable and will match.

I didn't imply that powder coat will protect me from damage.

What do you guys think?

The cost of one brand new wheel is higher than repair/power coat of all 4.

Or I can mail the wheel to a reputable shop that has repaired 22" sport wheels if anyone has a recommendation.

When I bought my Edge, I got a 5 year Tire & Rim Road Hazard Warranty ( for $399) from the dealer. I don't have the 22" but I do have the 18" chrome-clads that were a $760 option..

We got the tire and rim pckage on my wife's MKS. DO you think that it will cover for scraped (gouged) wheels? We have the 19", they are the brushed and charcoal ones

Edited by JOEHIO

Which new Lincolns are these?

The ones they're working on now. Total revamp of Lincoln starting with the dealerships and dealer experience followed by 7 vehicles with 100% unique sheetmetal, drivetrains, interiors and new luxury features. Word is the new MKZ is stunning and resembles an Aston Martin more than a Ford. I expect a lot more luxury features for Lincoln now that Mercury is gone and they've committed to making Lincoln a true luxury brand.

The ones they're working on now. Total revamp of Lincoln starting with the dealerships and dealer experience followed by 7 vehicles with 100% unique sheetmetal, drivetrains, interiors and new luxury features. Word is the new MKZ is stunning and resembles an Aston Martin more than a Ford. I expect a lot more luxury features for Lincoln now that Mercury is gone and they've committed to making Lincoln a true luxury brand.

Thanks for the heads-up. This is kind of perfect timing; I think I'll be ready to move up market when these cars come around. :)

I heard about the new Lincolns. John McElroy was raving about them.

I hope they rethink the MKT. I cringe every time I see one in the wild.

Won't it be a few years before they hit the showroom floors?

I heard about the new Lincolns. John McElroy was raving about them.

I hope they rethink the MKT. I cringe every time I see one in the wild.

Won't it be a few years before they hit the showroom floors?

The new MKZ and a refreshed MKS and MKT will be shown between now and the Detroit Auto Show and will arrive sometime in 2012.

Not sure when the rest will arrive. The only big change I expect for the MKX would be unique styling on the doors, roof and glass so that it doesn't look just like an Edge from side profile, plus all the new luxury features.

Word is they will also have new drivetrain technology with huge increases in fuel economy. Should be interesting.