Cleaning the black plastic lower body panels

Poorboys Trim Restorer works fantastic. I am never without the stuff for my business.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Trim-Restorer-P35/16-oz-S1/

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a retailer that carries this in Canada or online ordering only? Do apply this stuff right after the vehicle is washed ie: wet or wait until its dry?

Spiff

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a retailer that carries this in Canada or online ordering only? Do apply this stuff right after the vehicle is washed ie: wet or wait until its dry?

Spiff

Sorry, I missed that you are in Canada like myself. You can purchase the stuff at www.eshine.ca. They are fantastic to deal with! Once your vehicle is washed and the trim pieces are dry, that's when you use the stuff. Very simple application as well. Any other questions just let me know.

Spiff

The lower plastic parts helped me to decide on my Black Limited over a Sport model. If maintained, they blend right in while being more durable than painted parts.

Trim restorer works great and last 'forever'

EDIT:

auto correct correction

Edited by wilsons66604

• 2 months later...

I use a soft bristle brush, and car wash soap (during the normal hand wash).

I top them off with Adams SVRT

This stuff is water based, water resistant after it dries, and does not have a wet look. More like a semi-gloss, so it just looks clean and new.

If you are looking for a high gloss appearance, this would not be the product you would want.

Adams sells direct www.adamspolishes.com

• 1 month later...

I waxed my 08 MKX and unfortunately got some wax on the plastic trim panels. No problem I thought but the wax turned white when it dried and I can't find anything to get the wax out. Crappy Tire used to sell a wax remover but they don't sell it anymore. I also thought that time would help me out but there is still a white residue on those panels. I've tried lots of different chemicals - amonia, CLR etc but nothing touches it.

Does anyone know of something that will remove this? How about the stuff from eshine as mentioned above?

Thanks

Edited by Brian K

I waxed my 08 MKX and unfortunately got some wax on the plastic trim panels. No problem I thought but the wax turned white when it dried and I can't find anything to get the wax out. Crappy Tire used to sell a wax remover but they don't sell it anymore. I also thought that time would help me out but there is still a white residue on those panels. I've tried lots of different chemicals - amonia, CLR etc but nothing touches it.

Does anyone know of something that will remove this? How about the stuff from eshine as mentioned above?

Thanks

I would try some Isopropyl Alcohol or mineral spirits. Wash the area afterward with soap.

To the OP, I clean the area at the same time I do the wheels/tires and wells, which is first before the rest of the car. I use a long handled, soft bristled brush (I think I got it from Target) and Zep Citrus APC cut 4:1 with water. ZC is available at Home Depot and Lowes. It is an awesome APC. I use it on the wheels and wells as well. The very best thing to protect them is with CQuartz or Opti Coat. The next best thing is Ultima Tire and Trim guard. The first two have their durability measured in years, and the Ultima is good for 6 months. Oh, there is actually a 3rd choice, which is a product called C4, which is made by GTechnique. It is very expensive however. Ultima is a better bargain.

• Like 1

Thanks

Back to black will get rid of it my father uses it on his truck when he waxes cuz he doesnt have a steady hand like me lol and gets wax all on the plastic

• 2 months later...

I may have missed a section in this Forum were it is talked about but I have yet to find it and this is the closest topic that speaks about the plastic molding at the bottom of the Edge. Does anyone know if this is possible to be painted? I have an 07 Edge SEL in the Dark Grey and was thinking that maybe they could be sanded down, primed and painted to match the vehicle. This would be done by a body shop but before I find a body shop I figured id ask to see if anyone knew first hand. Thanks!

You can do it yourself. I used a kit from paintscratch.com to color match a Ford aftermarket keyless entry keypad for my daughter's silver Focus and it worked great. And then she totaled it and replaced it with a dark grey Focus so I had to take all the paint back off and left it black. BTW - acetone will restore the shine to plastic parts that have been sanded down.

You get a special adhesion promoter, special primer plus the normal base coat and clear coat all in spray cans, plus rubbing compound and cleaner. Just depends on how adventurous you're feeling.

Thanks

When I owned my Volvo guys used to ask the same question re: removing the white wax residue. Recommendation, peanut butter. No one ever mentioned smooth or chunky, but give it a try. I know, you're all laughing So, Google the string, "cars remove white wax from plastic peanut butter"

Try Turtle Wax ICE, works great on plastic, removes everything.

I just soaked the heck out of a wash cloth with Armor All and whiped mine down.. No splatter or slinging and they look brand new.. I am sure they won't look brand new for long which Is why the Armor All probably isn't mentioned in this thread.. I have looked into the 3d Carbon Body kit but honestly I like my plastic moldings on Front, Sides and Rear bumpers which is why I just want them painted..

Thanks

Peanut butter and toothbrush. I thought it was a joke at first but it works wonders. I even tried it once on an expensive Les Paul guitar that someone car waxed and the dried white residue gotin to the open wood pores but peanut butter saved it from being ruined.

Peanut butter and toothbrush. I thought it was a joke at first but it works wonders. I even tried it once on an expensive Les Paul guitar that someone car waxed and the dried white residue gotin to the open wood pores but peanut butter saved it from being ruined.

I think wd-40 works just as well as peanut butter on plastic. It's the oil in the peanut butter that does the job. And peanut butter works better on people and wood than wd-40 would.

• 3 weeks later...