New 2012 2.0 EcoBoost Turbo

Thumper07

Saying "hi". Just picked her up tonight. Love love love the car. The new turbo is so much fun to drive and got me a 33mpg average on its first 80 mile highway trip to Miami.

Look forward to talking about technical info and mod possibilities.

Tom

Nice! Does it have the same dual-outlet exhaust as the V6s? Was your last vehicle a V6? If so, how do you compare the sound and smoothness to the six?

Yes it has the same dual exhaust tips. As far as its smoothness compared to a naturally aspirated motor, turbo charged engines have their own funny way of running. They are not smooth, the power comes on fast and strong as the RPMs increase.

My last car was a 420 horsepower Dodge Charger RT moderatly modified. I dragged it for an entire season and took 3rd place overall. Gas guzzling pig though and I do a lot of traveling now with my mountain biking team so I needed something to suit this hobby.

Turbo charged motors though, in my opinion, are fun lively power plants. I test drove the V6 Edge before I test drove the turbo and I liked the turbo a lot more. It is more reponsive initially, has more intant low end torque and is much faster when the gas pedal is pressed to the floor. The V6 is smoother but is lack luster and dull.

I took the Edge to Miami the day I bought it and averaged 33 mpg on the highway during the 60 mile trip. Good gas mileage AND decent power with a fun lively engine....I love it! :rockon:

Yes it has the same dual exhaust tips. As far as its smoothness compared to a naturally aspirated motor, turbo charged engines have their own funny way of running. They are not smooth, the power comes on fast and strong as the RPMs increase.

My last car was a 420 horsepower Dodge Charger RT moderatly modified. I dragged it for an entire season and took 3rd place overall. Gas guzzling pig though and I do a lot of traveling now with my mountain biking team so I needed something to suit this hobby.

Turbo charged motors though, in my opinion, are fun lively power plants. I test drove the V6 Edge before I test drove the turbo and I liked the turbo a lot more. It is more reponsive initially, has more intant low end torque and is much faster when the gas pedal is pressed to the floor. The V6 is smoother but is lack luster and dull.

I took the Edge to Miami the day I bought it and averaged 33 mpg on the highway during the 60 mile trip. Good gas mileage AND decent power with a fun lively engine....I love it! :rockon:

Sounds delicious.

My last car before the Edge was a 5-Cyl turbo (2.3) and I do miss the way the torque piles on.

Makes me want to pick up a 2013 EcoBoost Edge or MKX after this lease is up...

The V6 is smoother but is lack luster and dull.

Ouch!

I disagree, however I've never owned a car (always full-size trucks and SUVs) let alone one with 400 hp. Actually, I find the 3.5L V6 to be plenty powerful for me... and I can't remember the last time I floored the gas pedal in a vehicle - maybe when I was 16? So I can see where we wouldn't share a consensus.

decent power with a fun lively engine....:

lol fun, lively? Definitely words I associate with a 4,200 lb SUV. But seriously, it is a shame the 4-banger isn't available in AWD... not sure Ford will sell too many of these in my neck of the woods.

Yes, it runs on regular gas. I also believe that is the recommended fuel. I read somewhere that premium may get you a little bump, but I don't think it was very much.

The direct injection allows it to use the regular 87. Ford does also say that you will gain performance with 91 or better octane. Which makes sense, especially in a heavily boosted small displacement engine.

The direct injection allows it to use the regular 87. Ford does also say that you will gain performance with 91 or better octane. Which makes sense, especially in a heavily boosted small displacement engine.

I bet there is 50-60 hp easily available with a custom tune for higher octane. The ecoboost has great potential for cheap power. Just wish it was available as the 3.5l in the edge sport trim. I wanted the ecoboost but the look of the sport was worth it for me.

No way. 10-15, tops.

OEMs tend to tune turbo engines for reliability so there is plenty of room. Look at what is done on the audi 1.8T and BMW 135/335/535 with juicebox/proceed devices. Custom tunes for various octane levels and minro bolt ons and they are increasing power way beyond stock numbers. 50-60hp at the crank is not much for a turbo car in stock form.

Edited by NWS Alpine

OEMs tend to tune turbo engines for reliability so there is plenty of room. Look at what is done on the audi 1.8T and BMW 135/335/535 with juicebox/proceed devices. Custom tunes for various octane levels and minro bolt ons and they are increasing power way beyond stock numbers. 50-60hp at the crank is not much for a turbo car in stock form.

I tend to agree here, but the question is reliable power.

I don't know about the manufacturing tolerances of these vehicles so I can't really speak to how much power can be had from these engines. How I see it, Ford is already squeezing a lot of power out of the 2.0L unit at 240HP.

Having said that though, I'm pretty sure it's the Ford Duratec 2.0L unit that also powers the fiesta rally cars that claim 600-800 HP running 2-3 BAR boost.

Ford has reportedly gotten up to 350 hp out of the 2.0L ecoboost in the lab. But that requires significant hardware changes.

You said 50-60 hp with only a tuner and higher octane fuel and that's the part that I doubt.

I have seen dynos posted for the Subie Forester XT after a Cobb AccessPort tuning (computer flash only, no hardware), showing 50+ HP gains with premium fuel. Hardware mods will take that further. Of course, that is from a lower starting point (210 going to 260 hp). So with the Ecoboost starting out so much higher, there might not be as much room to grow it. The question then becomes reliability.

Edited by VinceL

The larger ecoboost engines are putting down some extremely impressive numbers on basic tunes before boosting any PSI. Some of the cars are getting around 100+hp to the wheels with tune and downpipes/cats and boosting psi. I was stating 50-60 to the crank and still believe it will be possible with a premium octane tune and messing with timing. Boost some PSI and they can easily get to 300hp at the crank.

The larger ecoboost engines are putting down some extremely impressive numbers on basic tunes before boosting any PSI. Some of the cars are getting around 100+hp to the wheels with tune and downpipes/cats and boosting psi. I was stating 50-60 to the crank and still believe it will be possible with a premium octane tune and messing with timing. Boost some PSI and they can easily get to 300hp at the crank.

Given how hard Ford is working to get as much power as possible from these engines I just doubt they left that much on the table with software settings. Unless it destroys fuel economy and/or longevity.

Given how hard Ford is working to get as much power as possible from these engines I just doubt they left that much on the table with software settings. Unless it destroys fuel economy and/or longevity.

Exactly! Longevity.

They also have to tune the cars for the large range of people that will buy them. There's always that guy that will inevitably beat on his engine every chance he gets. Turbos are abusive to engine oil as well as the transmission (torque) compared to their NA counterparts.

These engines have to be ready for that jerk that stomps on his pedal and flies into his parking spot and shuts off his turbo engine immediately. I understand that Ford developed the hell out of these turbo units to withstand abuse, but oil coking is still a reality. And although 300hp+ from 2.0L is technically possible, the question again is the reliability of the engine and all its extra moving parts in the hands of "new" turbo drivers.

Edited by cal3thousand

Good Lord man, I though I had ecclectic tastes in hobbies. You win!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Test drove both the V6 AWD and the Ecoboost FWD

In terms of driving enjoyment, there is no comparison.

The Ecoboost won hands down, it is extremely peppy, has enough torque to push you back in your seat and drove more like a sports sedan than a truck PLUS it gets better mileage???

What did I purchase, the V6... although not nearly as "fun" to drive it still had a nice smooth ride and overall the deciding factor was the AWD living in New England.

That and the long term reliability/maintaince costs is probably safer with the V6 than a turbo charged 4.

I am curious to see the real world mileage results from the EcoBoost, it is so new I haven't seen any reliable figures yet other than the EPA estimates.

I have been getting 22 MPH with my V6, AWD ; driving mostly all highway.

Test drove both the V6 AWD and the Ecoboost FWD

In terms of driving enjoyment, there is no comparison.

The Ecoboost won hands down, it is extremely peppy, has enough torque to push you back in your seat and drove more like a sports sedan than a truck PLUS it gets better mileage???

What did I purchase, the V6... although not nearly as "fun" to drive it still had a nice smooth ride and overall the deciding factor was the AWD living in New England.

That and the long term reliability/maintaince costs is probably safer with the V6 than a turbo charged 4.

I am curious to see the real world mileage results from the EcoBoost, it is so new I haven't seen any reliable figures yet other than the EPA estimates.

I have been getting 22 MPH with my V6, AWD ; driving mostly all highway.

Glad to hear it's peppy and has enough torque to push you back in your seat. Really looking forward to driving it. I ordered mine in mid-August without the chance to test drive it - in fact there are still no ecoboost Edges at the dealership. Mine is on the train now and should arrive a the dealership early next week. It's been 9 weeks and a long wait. Looking forward to it's arrival.