My 2011 Edge Sport and My Complaints!

MikeCho

Ok so earlier last month, I got 2011 Edge Sport with the "Hot Wheels" rims since it wasn't going to benefit me much by waiting for the 2012. Anyway, after my first washing, I notice a few defects. Not to sound snobbish but my high end vehicles didn't have this type of defects. I thought Ford would have improved to the foreign car level. That is why I never bought a Ford.

• On the lower seat belt area, there is a plastic cover with a piece of plastic still from the casting/molding.

• I noticed on the cheaply painted gray molding that runs up and down the center console you can see more casting from where the plastic molding was casted.

• Where the floor carpet goes up to the dash it is cut shorter.

• There is a large uneven gap between the front head liner and the front windshield (you can see this from the outside).

• If you look at the end where the tail pipes are the plastic covering is cheap, flimsy and hollow.

• Sun roof shade won’t shut unless I shut off the vehicle and wait for a while.

• The rear tailgate (don’t know what to call it) has cheap rubber stoppers that fell off

• This vehicle is put together cheaply since I can see the screws and ribbets when you open the doors and back.

• I have some more niggles but sick of typing.

The point I am trying to make is that at $43K you would think this would have better quality. I have better quality on an entry level foreign luxury car that is about the same price! Go open the door on an entry level BMW or Lexus and look and see if they have all these areas that have visible screws. Where are the Ford Union Inspectors that allow this kind of stuff to happen? Lunch Break? I know they get paid well!

I do like the touch screen when it works; except the occasional lock up. I wish it had more power. It is sluggish on take offs. I do like the looks. I just wish I chose something else. Sorry Ford lovers.

Changes? Other than the 2.0 Ecoboost could you list them or provide a link?

I may be forgetting some but a few are:

Thicker windshield glass

Thicker metal on the roof

(Both of these may be late 2011 changes, can't remember)

Added insulation in the body

MFT is SUPPOSED to be better (hope so)

Redesigned mirrors and spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

if you could see all these problems, why did you buy the car then?

I would have to ask the same. All of these are visible from a simple walk around/inspection with the exception of the roof which any service dept should be able to fix. This post sounds a bit suspicious to me talking about the "hot wheels" rims and all these obvious defects yet you purchased the vehicle anyway. Hey, whatever I guess. We're quite happy with ours for the most part as are many others. The MFT is vastly improved with the latest update and will continue to improve IMO. New tech is just that.

To reply to those who say>>Why did I buy it then???

This was an impulse decision which is not always a good thing for a consumer. I had the dealer do a swap to get the vehicle. I did look at the Limited in the dealership before. Once the Sport arrived it looked great but it was a rainy cloudy day so I looked at inside under the lights. You really don't get to know a vehicle until you wash it and detail it yourself. I was just going with the assumption that Ford got their act back together with quality vehicles. I was wrong. I am taking it to the shop again tomorrow for the sunroof that doesn't completely close. I wish I never bought it for its price that I should have bought something else. It is like spending $$ on a steak at Mortons, Ruth's Chris, Capitol Grille, etc.. and having higher expectations but ending up with an over cooked or disappointing steak for the $$ you just paid.

I don't hate the vehicle, I just don't care for the Edge's overall quailty. I feel ripped off for the 40K spent.

• 1 month later...

After having my 18" winters on my 2011 Edge Sport AWD, I am convinced that some idiot at FORD pressured someone into these stupid 22". I know the 22" look good on paper but they are very heavy and impractical tires which take the "SPORT" out of the Edge Sport! They should have had light weight 20" on instead. My acceleration with the 18s is much improved plus the handling is the same. Just out of feel, I know the 18s would be faster on a slalom course. The 22s just feel heavy in the steering. I just don't get it? After sport tuned suspension, great sport looks, why not go all the way and look at the numbers on paper for performance? Who cares about these stupid worthless paddel shifters! It's not like I bought a Ferrari F1. Take the money spent on the paddle shifters and give me HID option.

Again, so much potential but someone killed the word SPORT in the Edge!

After having my 18" winters on my 2011 Edge Sport AWD, I am convinced that some idiot at FORD pressured someone into these stupid 22". I know the 22" look good on paper but they are very heavy and impractical tires which take the "SPORT" out of the Edge Sport! They should have had light weight 20" on instead. My acceleration with the 18s is much improved plus the handling is the same. Just out of feel, I know the 18s would be faster on a slalom course. The 22s just feel heavy in the steering. I just don't get it? After sport tuned suspension, great sport looks, why not go all the way and look at the numbers on paper for performance? Who cares about these stupid worthless paddel shifters! It's not like I bought a Ferrari F1. Take the money spent on the paddle shifters and give me HID option.

Again, so much potential but someone killed the word SPORT in the Edge!

I think you're in the minority and the majority of buyers would prefer the bling of the 22s to actual performance.

I would disagree with you because Ford should be focusing back on performance (SVT) and I think they have with the Mustang. Anyway and real "Hitter" that wants bling would have opt for the X6 or X5 or Cayenne or G550. Only "FAKE Hitters" would want stock 22s for bling!

I think you're in the minority and the majority of buyers would prefer the bling of the 22s to actual performance.

• 2 weeks later...

I would disagree with you because Ford should be focusing back on performance (SVT) and I think they have with the Mustang. Anyway and real "Hitter" that wants bling would have opt for the X6 or X5 or Cayenne or G550. Only "FAKE Hitters" would want stock 22s for bling!

Mike, all those hitter vehicles costs a whole lot more than a Ford Edge does btw. We live near a very affluent area, full of X5's, Range Rovers, and so on. Frankly for me, they are a dime a dozen and for me, and lack imagination on purchase. And if I see another silver Audi Q5, paleeeeeeeeeeeeeze poke my eyes out, and the blind spot in a Q5 is humongous, why would anyone buy one of these is beyond me. But the Cayenne Sport, is one trick looking machine. Ok, off my soapbox about something other than Ford, here is an interesting experience with my Edge. This recent summer, one of our boys played in a tennis tourney smack in the middle of this same neighborhood we live by. Hard to describe the setting, but this particular club is something on par with a massive estate from the early 1900's, as it's also a social club, and it comes with a really cool outdoor set of tennis courts. When you arrive, all the vehicles have to line up via head in parking, as you face the outer courts. So I pull in next to a tricked out M5, and next to a Range Rover whatever. I'm not out of the Edge 5 seconds, and I'm getting quizzed on what I'm driving. The tournament director walks up and looks at it too, then a few other folks, and for about 15 minutes, I gave several the inside and out tour of the Edge. And every time, I had to explain, it's a Ford. And everyone looking at it, was thrilled, because it was a Ford. The overriding comment was "finally an American make that looks good". Sort of cool to have the Euro crowd have a nice level appreciation for an American brand!

Now, I took all of the hitter rigs for a spin prior to buying the Edge except the Cayenne, although I have ridden in one. Frankly for the money, the Edge stacks up nicely to them all and the styling, Sport model or not, is right in there with them all. In fact, load up the options on an X5 or Cayenne, and the economics get into a whole 'nother zipcode so I'm not sure the demographics are really the same for a Cayenne versus Edge buyer :). For those lurking in the forum as I was/did long before we bought the Edge, I'll share some gripes too.............The techno glitches on the Edge irritate me at times (hopefully that software fix Ford is talking about on Youtube really works), Sirius reception is junk for some reason in our area, and the touch screen response time is baffling at times. But take out the techno glitches soon enough with the early this coming year upgrade, and I think the vehicle overall is a solid choice for the money.

I do grapple a bit with performance like you do, but for me, performance is one part straight line, and one part curves. If I get into a drag race with a 3.5 liter 2WD Limited, I guess I'll lose. If we want to run some cones in the parking lot, I surmise I'll win. But in the end, we live in the urban jungle and a 0 to 60 second time is overrated because we can barely hit 50 on the freeway if we are lucky. So I'll take the bling along in stride, continue to answer to those that want to know what I'm driving, and for now, my experience is that the money for the Edge is well spent!

Mike, all those hitter vehicles costs a whole lot more than a Ford Edge does btw. We live near a very affluent area, full of X5's, Range Rovers, and so on. Frankly for me, they are a dime a dozen and for me, and lack imagination on purchase. And if I see another silver Audi Q5, paleeeeeeeeeeeeeze poke my eyes out, and the blind spot in a Q5 is humongous, why would anyone buy one of these is beyond me. But the Cayenne Sport, is one trick looking machine. Ok, off my soapbox about something other than Ford, here is an interesting experience with my Edge. This recent summer, one of our boys played in a tennis tourney smack in the middle of this same neighborhood we live by. Hard to describe the setting, but this particular club is something on par with a massive estate from the early 1900's, as it's also a social club, and it comes with a really cool outdoor set of tennis courts. When you arrive, all the vehicles have to line up via head in parking, as you face the outer courts. So I pull in next to a tricked out M5, and next to a Range Rover whatever. I'm not out of the Edge 5 seconds, and I'm getting quizzed on what I'm driving. The tournament director walks up and looks at it too, then a few other folks, and for about 15 minutes, I gave several the inside and out tour of the Edge. And every time, I had to explain, it's a Ford. And everyone looking at it, was thrilled, because it was a Ford. The overriding comment was "finally an American make that looks good". Sort of cool to have the Euro crowd have a nice level appreciation for an American brand!

Now, I took all of the hitter rigs for a spin prior to buying the Edge except the Cayenne, although I have ridden in one. Frankly for the money, the Edge stacks up nicely to them all and the styling, Sport model or not, is right in there with them all. In fact, load up the options on an X5 or Cayenne, and the economics get into a whole 'nother zipcode so I'm not sure the demographics are really the same for a Cayenne versus Edge buyer :). For those lurking in the forum as I was/did long before we bought the Edge, I'll share some gripes too.............The techno glitches on the Edge irritate me at times (hopefully that software fix Ford is talking about on Youtube really works), Sirius reception is junk for some reason in our area, and the touch screen response time is baffling at times. But take out the techno glitches soon enough with the early this coming year upgrade, and I think the vehicle overall is a solid choice for the money.

I do grapple a bit with performance like you do, but for me, performance is one part straight line, and one part curves. If I get into a drag race with a 3.5 liter 2WD Limited, I guess I'll lose. If we want to run some cones in the parking lot, I surmise I'll win. But in the end, we live in the urban jungle and a 0 to 60 second time is overrated because we can barely hit 50 on the freeway if we are lucky. So I'll take the bling along in stride, continue to answer to those that want to know what I'm driving, and for now, my experience is that the money for the Edge is well spent!

@cjohns28..

I was referring to the Bling of the 22" more so than the Edge Sport. Anyway, I have owned most every Lux Veh Brand, Lexus, Benz, BMW, Audi, Acura, Infiniti..etc..If you read my earlier niggles, I was disappointed more so in the quaility of the Ford. Come on, how does my headliner with the gap even pass inspection to make it out of the assembly line? Never had any of these cosmetic issues with my Lux Brands!

And regarding how the Ford looks...Yeah, if you think about it Ford and GM always trys to come out with the newest look but after a few years it looks old; unlike an older Benz that still has the timeless classy look.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my Edge but I am just dissapointed in what it could have been especially at the price point of $43K. I like the tech features when they work. My veh is a 3 year lease and I probably won't own another one. I will switch back to my Lux brands.

Edited by MikeCho

• 2 weeks later...

@cjohns28..

I was referring to the Bling of the 22" more so than the Edge Sport. Anyway, I have owned most every Lux Veh Brand, Lexus, Benz, BMW, Audi, Acura, Infiniti..etc..If you read my earlier niggles, I was disappointed more so in the quaility of the Ford. Come on, how does my headliner with the gap even pass inspection to make it out of the assembly line? Never had any of these cosmetic issues with my Lux Brands!

And regarding how the Ford looks...Yeah, if you think about it Ford and GM always trys to come out with the newest look but after a few years it looks old; unlike an older Benz that still has the timeless classy look.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my Edge but I am just dissapointed in what it could have been especially at the price point of $43K. I like the tech features when they work. My veh is a 3 year lease and I probably won't own another one. I will switch back to my Lux brands.

Hi Mike, not sure $43k is better than this in general, but I hear ya. One would expect the basics to be handled, but alas, people build cars, sometimes robots too, and nothing is perfect. Nag the dealer, best advice I can offer. I'm lucky though, the dealer in our area, huge, modern, techy, and super sensitive to customer service, so they just bend over backwards to make it right on all counts.

On the wheels for the Edge, I totally get it, really. I drove my wife nuts on wheel sizes, I drove the sport, drove the Lincoln with 18's, then 20's, drove an Edge with 18's and 20's, drove the sales people cuckoo at the dealership, I needed to understand wheel size, ride feel, noise on the road, and all that. I kept coming back to the 22's, I simply couldn't get that out of my minds eye. When I took delivery of the Sport, and it was next to a Black Ltd, with 20's, for me, the right choice. It just creates a stance with the vehicle that works and a bit more noisy and stiff, slightly so, but on a smooth blacktop road, it's more than good enough. And the grip is just amazing, and there is no tire flex at all, the contact patch is dead on the money, even under the potential for understeer in a brisk corner.

If money was no object, I'd like a second ride, Lincoln version, cooled seats, and the totally amazing black paint, with silver fleck in it. I don't remember the paint name for this, but that was one slick vehicle, but paint, seats, and interior finish aside, another $7k-ish just didn't sway me away from the Sport!

Happy New Year, lets see if we all can make 2012 better than the one before!

@cjohns28, I almost thought about the Lincoln but never drove one. I never cared for all the chrome but I do like the lux features. The main reason, I got the Sport is because it didn't have all the cheap plastic Chrome. I do like the look of the 22s but I wish they were lighter 20s. I have 18s snow tires on now and I think they are better than the 22s. Too bad they took the Sport out of the Edge Sport.

Hi Mike, not sure $43k is better than this in general, but I hear ya. One would expect the basics to be handled, but alas, people build cars, sometimes robots too, and nothing is perfect. Nag the dealer, best advice I can offer. I'm lucky though, the dealer in our area, huge, modern, techy, and super sensitive to customer service, so they just bend over backwards to make it right on all counts.

On the wheels for the Edge, I totally get it, really. I drove my wife nuts on wheel sizes, I drove the sport, drove the Lincoln with 18's, then 20's, drove an Edge with 18's and 20's, drove the sales people cuckoo at the dealership, I needed to understand wheel size, ride feel, noise on the road, and all that. I kept coming back to the 22's, I simply couldn't get that out of my minds eye. When I took delivery of the Sport, and it was next to a Black Ltd, with 20's, for me, the right choice. It just creates a stance with the vehicle that works and a bit more noisy and stiff, slightly so, but on a smooth blacktop road, it's more than good enough. And the grip is just amazing, and there is no tire flex at all, the contact patch is dead on the money, even under the potential for understeer in a brisk corner.

If money was no object, I'd like a second ride, Lincoln version, cooled seats, and the totally amazing black paint, with silver fleck in it. I don't remember the paint name for this, but that was one slick vehicle, but paint, seats, and interior finish aside, another $7k-ish just didn't sway me away from the Sport!

Happy New Year, lets see if we all can make 2012 better than the one before!

The more agressive tire (Pirelli Scorpion Zero) on the Edge Sport likely contributes to the higher steering effort due to its higher grip rubber compound. Additionally, the tire's section width on the Edge Sport is 265 mm versus 245 mm on all other models. That means more rubber contact on the road, thus, greater friction working again the power steering mechanism. While the greater unsprung weight of the 22 inch wheels may decrease the vehicle's acceleration, the lower sidewall profile should also reduce sidewall flex while cornering. Ford equips a shorter final gear ratio on the Edge models with 20" and 22" wheels to compensate for the increased mass. Any wheel control issues relating to the higher unsprung weight should be handled by the revised suspension components of the Edge Sport.

While complaining about the unsprung weight of larger diameter wheels seems to be in vogue, understanding the attributes and consequences are more complicated than "smaller = better". If Ford's target was improved transient response (turn-in) and maintaing the tire's contact patch under higher loads, decreasing the tires sidewall profile may have been the best course of action, from an engineering perspective. If Ford's target was increased tire compliance (better ride quality), increasing the sidewall profile would may been the better course of action. In any case, Ford offers a wide array of tire and wheel combinations on the Ford Edge: 17", 18", 20", and 22". There should be something in there to suit almost anyone's preference. If one values the smoothest ride, the Sport model, with increased spring rates and lower profile tires, may not be the best choice. I'm just glad Ford offers me the choice rather than only offering what the lowest common denominator demands. That may be one of the reasons why the Sport model only accounts for 5% of the total production.

• 1 month later...

Love my Sport. Love my 22's, my stiff springs, my stiffer steering, for me its a great package. I noticed screws that couldve been hidden, did i lose sleep over them? Nope. Never noticed if there was a gap between the headliner and windshield cause everytime im walking up to my truck im staring at its lines and those big blingy "Hotwheels" wheels.

Ditto. Can't even count the number of people who complimented them then were shocked that they were factory rims. Not sure why you'd buy the Sport if you didn't like them other than color matched rocker panels maybe!? It's not like the 3.7 is that much faster (not at all with those beasties on it's feet).

I reason why I got the Sport was because:

1. This is a company car and I could only get a Ford since that is who we have a contract with.

2. Wanted a SUV but the Explorer is too big.

3. Edge looks cool but I got the Sport because I hate the chrome grille!

4. Plus the blacked out Sport looks better with all the other options but I just don't care for the 22's (Actually my 18" winter wheel and tire package make the Blk Sport look aggressive).

5. After owning the "high" end brands, Ford still needs to get their act together!

Ok so earlier last month, I got 2011 Edge Sport with the "Hot Wheels" rims since it wasn't going to benefit me much by waiting for the 2012. Anyway, after my first washing, I notice a few defects. Not to sound snobbish but my high end vehicles didn't have this type of defects. I thought Ford would have improved to the foreign car level. That is why I never bought a Ford.

• On the lower seat belt area, there is a plastic cover with a piece of plastic still from the casting/molding.

• I noticed on the cheaply painted gray molding that runs up and down the center console you can see more casting from where the plastic molding was casted.

• Where the floor carpet goes up to the dash it is cut shorter.

• There is a large uneven gap between the front head liner and the front windshield (you can see this from the outside).

• If you look at the end where the tail pipes are the plastic covering is cheap, flimsy and hollow.

• Sun roof shade won’t shut unless I shut off the vehicle and wait for a while.

• The rear tailgate (don’t know what to call it) has cheap rubber stoppers that fell off

• This vehicle is put together cheaply since I can see the screws and ribbets when you open the doors and back.

• I have some more niggles but sick of typing.

The point I am trying to make is that at $43K you would think this would have better quality. I have better quality on an entry level foreign luxury car that is about the same price! Go open the door on an entry level BMW or Lexus and look and see if they have all these areas that have visible screws. Where are the Ford Union Inspectors that allow this kind of stuff to happen? Lunch Break? I know they get paid well!

I do like the touch screen when it works; except the occasional lock up. I wish it had more power. It is sluggish on take offs. I do like the looks. I just wish I chose something else. Sorry Ford lovers.

Hey Mike, I was reading about the gap in the head liner and was curious to see if mine had a gap. I went out to the garage and checked, sure enough mine had a gap also on the passenger side by the windshield. I was still curious to see how many have this problem, so I went to a local dealer here on Long Island and checked because I know they have 2 new Sports with the plastic still all over them. The salesman went and got the keys for both of them and sure enough the both of them had the same problem. You are absolutely right about them being s more on top of their quality control.

Thanks Sam for the update. Yeah like you, I never noticed it at first until I was walking up to my car and got closer at the angle of approach it is so obvious! I had to get mine replaced so now it looks normal. They had to order new headliner and of course the first one came to Ford damaged and then they re-ordered it.

I think that is why they switched their slogan, "Quailty is Job One"..........I'm sure the overpaid union worker inspector wonders why he got laid off and then is crying that he doesn't have a job while collecting unemployment sapping the economy. I'm sure he or she is blaming FORD for not having a job.

I just don't get it and people think it is their right to have a job because of their Union and they should be paid $45 an hour to inspect a vehicle or sweep a floor or push a button at the Ford plant along with weeks of vacation a year entitled to them. All of this to sell a product at $43K which they want to keep costs down by not having HID headlights and homelink. I don't get it. Okay, I was ranting again...Sorry but I am just saying!

Hey Mike, I was reading about the gap in the head liner and was curious to see if mine had a gap. I went out to the garage and checked, sure enough mine had a gap also on the passenger side by the windshield. I was still curious to see how many have this problem, so I went to a local dealer here on Long Island and checked because I know they have 2 new Sports with the plastic still all over them. The salesman went and got the keys for both of them and sure enough the both of them had the same problem. You are absolutely right about them being s more on top of their quality control.