Front running lights - when are they on?

Limited59

Wondering when the the front LED running lights come on? I realize they are on when you approach the vehicle and when remote start is used. Now that the mornings are dark, my Edge looks quite sinister when it's remote started... with the orange parking lamps and LED strips on.

Question is are they on when driving? Either at night or during the day... I swear I've seen other new Edges driving in the dark with those on but I don't think mine light up the same way. I think mine light during the day but I'm not sure. I notice that Edges without HIDs use their headlamps as DRLs, while mine just lights the orange parking lamps. Maybe that factors in somehow.

This is a Canadian HID equipped Limited, btw.

Wondering when the the front LED running lights come on? I realize they are on when you approach the vehicle and when remote start is used. Now that the mornings are dark, my Edge looks quite sinister when it's remote started... with the orange parking lamps and LED strips on.

Question is are they on when driving? Either at night or during the day... I swear I've seen other new Edges driving in the dark with those on but I don't think mine light up the same way. I think mine light during the day but I'm not sure. I notice that Edges without HIDs use their headlamps as DRLs, while mine just lights the orange parking lamps. Maybe that factors in somehow.

I live in the states so I don't get DRLs. From what I've heard, the service tech can choose one of 3 options for the DRLs. Amber parking lamps, Dim headlamps, & one other combination that I think includes the LED lights.

Edited by wilsons66604

• 1 month later...

I live in the states so I don't get DRLs. From what I've heard, the service tech can choose one of 3 options for the DRLs. Amber parking lamps, Dim headlamps, & one other combination that I think includes the LED lights.

I got my 2011 edge limited in july, I live in Florida like you I also dont have any DRL's. I checked into it and found that the led lights are not DRL's , they are front fender markers whatever that is. The only time they and the orange parking lamps come on is only when turn on the parking lights or the headlamps.

I went a different way in that i purchased a set of LED-DRL's from www.superbrightled.com part number (DRL-CW5-bm2), I'm having them mounted behind the grill grading next to the FORD emblem they just fit, they will come on bright whenever your driving and will dimm down when ever the headlamps are turned on. the power for the LED's will come from the main electrical buss once the car is started , for dimming I'm going to tap off voltage from the orange parking light which comes on with the head lights. Doug.

post-19860-0-82059200-1324160618_thumb.jpgpost-19860-0-57644900-1324160630_thumb.jpgpost-19860-0-63414500-1324160644_thumb.jpg

I got my 2011 edge limited in july, I live in Florida like you I also dont have any DRL's. I checked into it and found that the led lights are not DRL's , they are front fender markers whatever that is. The only time they and the orange parking lamps come on is only when turn on the parking lights or the headlamps.

I went a different way in that i purchased a set of LED-DRL's from www.superbrightled.com part number (DRL-CW5-bm2), I'm having them mounted behind the grill grading next to the FORD emblem they just fit, they will come on bright whenever your driving and will dimm down when ever the headlamps are turned on. the power for the LED's will come from the main electrical buss once the car is started , for dimming I'm going to tap off voltage from the orange parking light which comes on with the head lights. Doug.

Edited by milosm

On my 2012 (Canadian market car), the LED lights come on with the regular HID headlights. DRL's are, as you've noted, the orange lamps inboard of the headlights.

No, DRLs can be programmed to the headlights, or the blinkers. No LEDs. I can verify this personally.

It would be great if you could actually verify whether or not a US dealer could do this or not. When I took mine into the dealer to have it done, they said they actually turned them on, but then somehow they reset back to original (no DRL). At that point they were at a loss and just shrugged and said there wasn't anything else they could do. No explanation of why it mysteriously "reset".

• 9 months later...

I

I think all the aftermarket DRL would light up during daytime or nightime.

I don't have the factory DRL feature (headlights or amber parking), but I manufacture and sell an 8 LED vertical running light that replaces the wimpy stock vertical parking light. Our light is a seemless replacement and the closest look to the original stock light. The DRL LEDs come on at full brightness when the engine is started. The LEDs dim to 50% when the headlights are switched on, making a very cool accent light that is brighter than the stock light.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Boy, this is an old thread. But glad to see it's been resurrected so I can update my last reply from 2012. We now have a true aftermarket vertical LED DRL made specifically for the 2011-2014 Ford Edge. Head over to our website to check them out at www.DAYTIMEBrightLites.com or our new Web store www.DriveBright.com.

Our EDGE DRL Kit allows true automatic DRL functionality even on Edge SE & SEL models that did not come with the stock vertical LED accent lights.

Edited by kc300c
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi KC300c,

Thanks for all of the info. Everytime I searched Google for LED's for a Ford Edge, this forum and your web site came up. Great stuff! I'll be purchasing some DRL LEDs within the next few days. I like the puddle lights as well.

Take care and Thanks again :)

I

I don't have the factory DRL feature (headlights or amber parking), but I manufacture and sell an 8 LED vertical running light that replaces the wimpy stock vertical parking light. Our light is a seemless replacement and the closest look to the original stock light. The DRL LEDs come on at full brightness when the engine is started. The LEDs dim to 50% when the headlights are switched on, making a very cool accent light that is brighter than the stock light.

And they are fantasric and a very easy install