2012 Edge SE - Stock Head Unit Replacement

Hello -

I just got a 2012 Ford Edge SE and wanted to know if anyone has experience replacing the head unit stereo? Getting the SEL or the higher models was not an option that I had. I have done a lot of search on the internet and have also called a couple of local stereo installers and have come up with nothing. I have a double din pioneer unit that would give me Bluetooth hands free and MP3 playback. Any help would be appreciated…

• Like 1

Since the bezel is integratted to the radio your SOL.. sorry. I have only heard of it being done once and there was LOTS to do that most audio shops will pass on it. due the conditions if (ever) a aftermarket dash kit does come out it will be a few years. Not to mention it will be one that will cost you atleast 100 if it does...

Yes, you are pretty much stuck for now. You can get better sound out of the stock head unit with a few upgrades. Just ditching the stock speakers will yield a huge improvement. Ford's new plastic speakers are, by far, the worst I've ever seen!!! Even cheap Boss or Audiovox speakers would be a huge step up!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I too got conned and was told that I could upgrade the standard factory radio on my 2011 Ford Edge SE aftermarket. I have had my Edge since December 2010 and I want the cool technology that everyone else has dangit! Anyway, started to go to car audio specialty stores in my area to see if I could upgrade to something similar to what Mighty Noid has. I was told that since there are no dash kits out for the 2011 Edge, that it would be a custom job. I am now being told that since the circuit board in the dash is one unit that also controls the a/c - the only way to get it to work is if the place can get a company in China to provide a separate circuit board for the A/c and basically cut-up and modify the bezel to make it work. I am currently waiting to see if such a circuit board is even made right now.

That being said, I am curious how Noid got his system to work due to this issue? Anyone else know how this could possibly work or am I seriously SOL? I was also told by the car audio place that they could get one of those flip out navigation systems to work - but not sure what the difference would be as the circuit board in the dash is still one unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as no matter what I do this won't be cheap.

• 3 months later...

boxergirl - as for my system... the AC is not working and here is an image why it is not...

photo.jpg

They tried to cut the board in half and use jumper wires from one board to the other... and didn't work... it blew up the chip on the board... so I went to a local Ford dealer and tried to order a new board... $500 bucks... no problem there... but they could not give me an ETA on the part... plus they wanted all the money upfront... not going to happen without a ETA...

So driving my brand new Edge without AC is just AWESOME in the summer!!!!!!!!!!! :headspin:

As for a single DIN unit... it will not work either... that board is to large...

• 4 months later...

Any more updates about your bezel modification for the single din? I am interested in the modification for the double din from your previous photos. I am looking at the space in you modified a factory bezel and it seems that the radio control knobs would have left voids where the 2DIN trim would fit in. How were these voids filled around the trim piece. Yours looks seemless.

BTW - not for nothing but have you ever heard of "multi-layer PCBs" ? I'm guessing not.

With the number of parts, trace complexity and density on modern circuit boards, they can not get all the needed traces or pathways on the top and bottom of a circuit board. So they layer them with punch through or pass through connections to the different appropriate layers.

I don't know if this is the case of the climate control circuit boards but it could explain your outcome.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

To all of you guys (like me) waiting for a dash kit to come out for our 2011-2013 ford edge SE's... I just called scosche and they told me that theyre currently designing a dash kit for the edge... and they will release it to the market during the first week of december... i know its a long time to wait, but i rather wait than pay extra for custom fabrication and lose my a/c...

• Like 1

I don't know anything personally, got this from Freestyle site.

Where a member had a Mustang radio installed into a Freestyle.

He wants to sell the Shaker radio and made it available to the forum members.

HERE ARE THE DETAILS:

I'm Selling an 05-09 FORD MUSTANG Shaker 500 Radio Stereo. It is a 6 Disc OEM Radio from an 08 Mustang. I had it in a 2005 Ford Freestyle, all I had to do was take out the Factory one and re-connect the cables and it worked perfectly. It is SIRIUS XM Ready. Amazing radio, also plays burnt CD's. It is used, but it is in MINT CONDITION. Also has an aux port in the back. It is 2008, but it will FIT 2005 or NEWER. Chrome knobs on each of the buttons, WHICH is rare.

DETAILS

Used
Built-in 6 disc changer.
Satellite ready (Requires tuner and antenna - not included)
Plays MP3 audio format CDRs
Plays standard audio format CDs and CDRs
Standard Ford display.
Subwoofer plug.
Part of the Shaker 500 system in the Mustang.
Has the chrome-trimmed knobs and buttons.
Perfect condition.
Ford part number 8R3T-18C815-GD.
WILL WORK ON 2005 OR NEWER.

Message me if you'd like to buy. I'm selling it for 200.

IF YOU WISH TO HAVE SIRIUS XM RADIO IN YOUR CAR, I DO HAVE THE 05 FREESTYLE BRAIN AND CABLE TO INTEGRATE INTO THE RADIO WHICH ENABLES SIRIUS XM RADIO. IT IS EXTRA. Message me if you'd like this icon_smile.gif