MFT Overhaul Press Release

I too am pleased that Ford is addressing these issues. For all my griping to Ford, I will say that I was impressed that they called me personally to inform me that the update was coming....much appreciated. They even put me on a 3 year or 45, 000 mile maintenance warranty for FREE for my troubles. Not sure this is something that is being offered to everyone but if you get a call you might ask. Everyone that has been dealing with this problem should get something. I do beta testing for a living but did not find it enjoyable pointing out the problems Ford should have (must have) known about, and addressed before selling us these expensive vehicles. MFT was not fully baked first time around. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are going to do right going forward and I truly believe that will be the case.

...Why yes I have. You test the hell out of it before you stage it into production.

Ā 

You missed the previous discussions.

Ā 

They did test the hell out of it. The bugs were known well ahead of time. The original developers screwed up big time and by the time they realized it - they didn't have enough time to fix it before the vehicles were scheduled to ship. So they had to make a decision - pull the technology out of the 2011 Edge and Explorer, delay the new vehicles until they could be fixed, or go ahead and hope they could stabilize the software quickly before too much damage was done.

Ā 

There was no easy answer - you don't just delay a new vehicle and they would not have been able to offer Navigation or any type of touch screen radio for several months to a year.

Ā 

In short they were between a rock and a hard place.

Ā 

My point was that you don't just rewrite software like that in a couple of months. It takes 6 months to a year to do a rewrite like that especially when you have to be sure not to screw up again. You just can't rewrite complex software (remember it's integrated into the vehicle controls - it's not just the radio) like that quickly and be successful.

Ā 

Given that, I'd say they've done as much as they could possibly do in the time given once the original mistake was made.

I too am pleased that Ford is addressing these issues. For all my griping to Ford, I will say that I was impressed that they called me personally to inform me that the update was coming....much appreciated. They even put me on a 3 year or 45, 000 mile maintenance warranty for FREE for my troubles. Not sure this is something that is being offered to everyone but if you get a call you might ask. Everyone that has been dealing with this problem should get something. I do beta testing for a living but did not find it enjoyable pointing out the problems Ford should have (must have) known about, and addressed before selling us these expensive vehicles. MFT was not fully baked first time around. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are going to do right going forward and I truly believe that will be the case.

How do you rate a call from FORD?

I've gotten diddley squawk.

Did you call FORD HQ or is this something the dealership did for you?

Ā 

I emailed Ford HQ offering to beta test the new MFT interface and received a phone call from Ford several days later. The phone call was about whether I was happy with the MFT. I am not positive my email and the phone call I got was related but I'm guessing it was

I emailed Ford HQ offering to beta test the new MFT interface and received a phone call from Ford several days later. The phone call was about whether I was happy with the MFT. I am not positive my email and the phone call I got was related but I'm guessing it was

Ā 

Ā 

What email address did you use? I do software design for a living and would like to offer to help Beta test the software as well... or get 3 year 45k :)

What email address did you use? I do software design for a living and would like to offer to help Beta test the software as well... or get 3 year 45k :)

Ā 

I can't find the address but I expect paperwork to arrive in the mail any day now. You can try this #

Ford Motor Company Corporate Office | Headquarters

1 American Rd. Dearborn, MI 48126

(313)322-3000

For the 100th time - it was not lack of testing. They had thousands of bugs identified before the launch. It was a business decision to launch with known problems, not a lack of testing.

Ā 

Ā 

Hey don't bark at me. If you have issues with folks opinions, close the thread.

Ā 

I've paid my dues. I've gone from 2.3 to 2.11 and still if I press the Sirius button by mistake (I didn't keep the subscription) it goes into an endless loop that won't let me cancel out of it and select another audio source.

Ā 

If there are known problems then tell the buying public about it so they can make an educated choice. That certainly didn't happen when I made my purchase. To be honest the stealership was totally clueless about the operation of MFT and just sent me on my way. I've generally supported it as I've not experienced the same level of frustration others have but it's been more buggy than Windows 3.1.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

Hey don't bark at me. If you have issues with folks opinions, close the thread.

Ā 

I've paid my dues. I've gone from 2.3 to 2.11 and still if I press the Sirius button by mistake (I didn't keep the subscription) it goes into an endless loop that won't let me cancel out of it and select another audio source.

Ā 

If there are known problems then tell the buying public about it so they can make an educated choice. That certainly didn't happen when I made my purchase. To be honest the stealership was totally clueless about the operation of MFT and just sent me on my way. I've generally supported it as I've not experienced the same level of frustration others have but it's been more buggy than Windows 3.1.

Ā 

I don't disagree at all. I just don't like to see facts stated incorrectly.

Ā 

And I prefer Margaritas.

...It was a business decision to launch with known problems, not a lack of testing.

It's that business decision that I'm so upset about.

I can understand problems with software development. I can also understand why software should NOT BE RELEASED if it does not work.

Why the hell did FORD release the 2011 Edge? I think Ford released the new Edge because they wanted to avoid bad press for delaying it.

Ā 

Ford really stuck it to me on this one.

I feel like I need a shower.

Edited by wilsons66604

It's that business decision that I'm so upset about.

I can understand problems with software development. I can also understand why software should NOT BE RELEASED if it does not work.

Why the hell did FORD release the 2011 Edge? I think Ford released the new Edge because they wanted to avoid bad press for delaying it.

Ā 

You make it sound so simple - just delay releasing 2 new vehicles (don't forget the Explorer) for months until MFT could be stabilized.

That's almost impossible to do at such a late stage.

Ā 

Here is what they should have done (in hindsight):

Ā 

Delayed the production date for MFT - don't schedule it into a new vehicle until the product was stable. In this case it would have delayed MFT by at least a year (but it would have been stable)

Ā 

OR

Ā 

Design the vehicle to accept both MFT and the old sync/navigation system without huge changes. This would have allowed MFT to be ditched and the new vehicle to be launched with alternate technology. However, it may have required compromises on the MFT design.

Ā 

Ā 

Because Ford failed to do either one of those and bet the farm that MFT would be ready - they were stuck between a rock and a hard place and they did the best they could under the circumstances.

Ā 

I'm not saying they did the right thing - I'm just saying that the error occurred before the vehicles were ever released (lack of a backup plan, lack of oversight on the developers, too aggressive schedule).

Ā 

At that point releasing the vehicles with known bugs and working like crazy to stabilize the software was the only viable business decision.

You make it sound so simple - just delay releasing 2 new vehicles (don't forget the Explorer) for months until MFT could be stabilized.

That's almost impossible to do at such a late stage.

Ā 

Here is what they should have done (in hindsight):

Ā 

Delayed the production date for MFT - don't schedule it into a new vehicle until the product was stable. In this case it would have delayed MFT by at least a year (but it would have been stable)

Ā 

OR

Ā 

Design the vehicle to accept both MFT and the old sync/navigation system without huge changes. This would have allowed MFT to be ditched and the new vehicle to be launched with alternate technology. However, it may have required compromises on the MFT design.

Ā 

Ā 

Because Ford failed to do either one of those and bet the farm that MFT would be ready - they were stuck between a rock and a hard place and they did the best they could under the circumstances.

Ā 

I'm not saying they did the right thing - I'm just saying that the error occurred before the vehicles were ever released (lack of a backup plan, lack of oversight on the developers, too aggressive schedule).

Ā 

At that point releasing the vehicles with known bugs and working like crazy to stabilize the software was the only viable business decision.

Yes, They were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The issue I have, they went ahead and took my money for the system that did not work. It's as if they thought nobody would notice.

Like I said since day one, I feel like there was some deception involved. They knew is MFT was a cluster and continued to sell it as a functioning system.

Ā 

Here is what I think they should have done (in hindsight):

Tell me up front that the system had bugs and they were working on it and give me a $2000 credit.

Yes, They were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The issue I have, they went ahead and took my money for the system that did not work. It's as if they thought nobody would notice.

Like I said since day one, I feel like there was some deception involved. They knew is MFT was a cluster and continued to sell it as a functioning system.

Ā 

Here is what I think they should have done (in hindsight):

Tell me up front that the system had bugs and they were working on it and give me a $2000 credit.

Ā 

I think they believed they could stabilize it within a month or two at most and if they had then it wouldn't be an issue. But they didn't and I agree they should compensate folks who have had problems. I think they will but we'll have to wait and see.