Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

I don't think that was a defense but rather an observation and opinion.

Hey, I was only quoting what spongers said "And I am defending Ford, because while they did screw the pooch on this one, they realize that in a big way, and doing everything they can or know how to fix the problem"

My only point is don't assign altruistic motives to a multi-billion dollar company. If they didn't feel it was a valid business decision (and all kinds of tangibles and intangibles go into that kind of analysis), they wouldn't be doing the re-write. The fact that they are doing it is great, but if it wasn't the most cost effective way to deal with it, they wouldn't be doing it.

I'll say it again, it's just business.

Hey, I was only quoting what spongers said "And I am defending Ford, because while they did screw the pooch on this one, they realize that in a big way, and doing everything they can or know how to fix the problem"

My only point is don't assign altruistic motives to a multi-billion dollar company. If they didn't feel it was a valid business decision (and all kinds of tangibles and intangibles go into that kind of analysis), they wouldn't be doing the re-write. The fact that they are doing it is great, but if it wasn't the most cost effective way to deal with it, they wouldn't be doing it.

I'll say it again, it's just business.

It would be FAR cheaper to just tell the users to download the new software from the syncmyride.com website rather than buying, formatting and shipping out thumb drives. In this case the extra cost is offset by the good PR. The best business decision is not always the cheapest. They know they have unhappy customers and they're getting bad press reviews. Would they do anything if they weren't getting a lot of complaints and bad press? Probably not. But the only thing that really matters is what they ARE doing, not why.

It would be FAR cheaper to just tell the users to download the new software from the syncmyride.com website rather than buying, formatting and shipping out thumb drives. In this case the extra cost is offset by the good PR

Well, unless they have the infrastructure in place to handle a sudden increase in downloads when the re-write is released, it MAY actually be cheaper to send out USB drives (definitely old-school, but it definitely works). But since we don't know the specifics of what went into the analysis in the first place, it's just idle speculation. And like I said,it's not just hard costs that go into a decision but a lot of intangibles as well. They weighed the pros and cons and decided to take a course of action that was the most cost effective based on their analysis.

I guess we agree on something.

But the only thing that really matters is what they ARE doing, not why.

If that's your opinion, then OK. I like to understand what factors might be actually driving the decision making process.

Just got some good news from Wayne Cunningham over at CNET. He was the author of the one hands on review that specifically mentioned a different CPU, I contacted him after reading the article and just got this response.

Ford did not update the hardware. According to my sources there, the

software update is all that was needed to improve the performance.

During my demo at the Los Angeles auto show, it seemed to work well.

As for the CPU, I will have to check my notes, but from what I recall,

it is the iMX31, as you mentioned, so 'iMX51' would be a typo.

Thanks,

Wayne

Was surprised to get a response so kudos to CNET and Wayne.

• Like 1

Just got some good news from Wayne Cunningham over at CNET. He was the author of the one hands on review that specifically mentioned a different CPU, I contacted him after reading the article and just got this response.

Ford did not update the hardware. According to my sources there, the

software update is all that was needed to improve the performance.

During my demo at the Los Angeles auto show, it seemed to work well.

As for the CPU, I will have to check my notes, but from what I recall,

it is the iMX31, as you mentioned, so 'iMX51' would be a typo.

Thanks,

Wayne

Was surprised to get a response so kudos to CNET and Wayne.

Great news! Thanks for sleuthing it out

If that's your opinion, then OK. I like to understand what factors might be actually driving the decision making process.

In my experience the factors that go into this type of decision are complicated and never cut and dried. Ford seems to do more to satisfy their customers than some companies and less than others. I've seen them issue extended warranties and service programs for some things but not for others.

It would be FAR cheaper to just tell the users to download the new software from the syncmyride.com website rather than buying, formatting and shipping out thumb drives. In this case the extra cost is offset by the good PR. The best business decision is not always the cheapest. They know they have unhappy customers and they're getting bad press reviews. Would they do anything if they weren't getting a lot of complaints and bad press? Probably not. But the only thing that really matters is what they ARE doing, not why.

Any idea what percentage of 2011 Edge owners are SyncMyRide users?

Any idea what percentage of SyncMyRide users were able to download the last update w/o problems.

Ford can't expect that all owners have compatible computers with internet access.

Sending out a $2 USB stick is much cheaper than paying the dealerships to update the systems.

...you mentioned "good PR"

I've seen no PR from Ford. Ford has made no attempt to keep me posted on what is going on. They know they have a problem but are not communicating with this owner.

Edited by wilsons66604

Any idea what percentage of 2011 Edge owners are SyncMyRide users?

Any idea what percentage of SyncMyRide users were able to download the last update w/o problems.

Ford can't expect that all owners have compatible computers with internet access.

Sending out a $2 USB stick is much cheaper than paying the dealerships to update the systems.

Excellent point. Like I said, there are many things that went into the decision and economics are always a very big part. But if you can save money and please the customer at the same time it's a win/win.

...you mentioned "good PR"

I've seen no PR from Ford. Ford has made no attempt to keep me posted on what is going on. They know they have a problem but are not communicating with this owner.

Really?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35502 - also published on multiple news and media sites.

Providing the update to existing owners free of charge and with a usb stick that the user can install themselves is most definitely good PR.

Excellent point. Like I said, there are many things that went into the decision and economics are always a very big part. But if you can save money and please the customer at the same time it's a win/win.

Really?

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=35502 - also published on multiple news and media sites.

Providing the update to existing owners free of charge and with a usb stick that the user can install themselves is most definitely good PR.

Pretty sure he's referring to direct communication with the customer rather than a press release which may or may not be picked up by a news outlet he frequents. The only reason I knew about the updates and the issues was monitoring this forum. Monitoring Ford Corporation's press releases I suppose is another option but most marketing types would tell us that its better the company reach out to their customers. They have all of our contact info from our vehicle purchases.

• Like 1

Pretty sure he's referring to direct communication with the customer rather than a press release which may or may not be picked up by a news outlet he frequents. The only reason I knew about the updates and the issues was monitoring this forum. Monitoring Ford Corporation's press releases I suppose is another option but most marketing types would tell us that its better the company reach out to their customers. They have all of our contact info from our vehicle purchases.

The original post that started this thread was an email that was sent to tjbron detailing the changes. I moved it to the other information thread here . I don't know who else got the email but I don't see why they would only send it to one person. So they are contacting some people directly.

But we're dealing with semantics again. Wilson said "Ford has made no attempt to keep me posted on what is going on.". In my mind - publishing a press release that is republished across the internet is a very good attempt to keep customers posted, although I agree it is not as good as sending a letter directly to each and every customer.

So in the interest of forum harmony I'll agree that Ford could have done more by sending a letter to each and every customer and leave it at that.

Edited by akirby

The original post that started this thread was an email that was sent to tjbron detailing the changes. I moved it to the other information thread here . I don't know who else got the email but I don't see why they would only send it to one person. So they are contacting some people directly.

I found out after the original post, that I had checked the do not email me button on Sync my ride, so I am guessing that is why I have never gotten anything... but hey - I was notified here.

I take back this statement. Syncmyride.com does have my mailing address.

IIRC Ford has email information not just from sync my ride but from each purchase. There were boxes to check/uncheck about "marketing" etc but important stuff like recalls etc Ford can email. They ofc also have our mailing addresses from the sales contracts.

IIRC Ford has email information not just from sync my ride but from each purchase. There were boxes to check/uncheck about "marketing" etc but important stuff like recalls etc Ford can email. They ofc also have our mailing addresses from the sales contracts.

I'm not a seasoned Ford customer...what is IIRC? Do I need to opt in to get information about my vehicle?

Found another article, some parts corroborate some raise more questions. Below is a link to the full article and my comments are in red.

http://www.thevehicleparts.com/change-the-oil-upgrade-the-firmware-the-digital-dilemma-when-cars-and-computers-collide/

“And, in a move that seems unprecedented in the industry, Ford plans to send USB flash drives to the owners of quarter million existing MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles in the United States so they can upgrade their MyFord Touch systems to the new software….. (The company hasn’t yet announced upgrade plans for the 200,000 or so MyFord Touch-equipped models that have been sold internationally.)”

I thought I read somewhere there were over 600k vehicles with the MFT. Can anyone confirm the numbers? Just wondering if Ford isn’t planning on sending the USB drives out to everyone or if there is some sort of priority being given.

“Interestingly, Ford is not upgrading the actual hardware behind the MyFord Touch system: It’ll still have an 8-inch touchscreen, sport 2GB of flash storage, and be powered by a 400MHz Freescale ARM 11 processor with 256MB of RAM with a separate head unit for handling audio. In other words, it sports considerably less storage and processing power than a low-end smartphone.”

More corroboration that the hardware is unchanged…at least for the 2013.

“Now, imagine buying a used car. If a used vehicle has an in-vehicle information system, odds are that the vehicle’s new owner is going to have to jump through many hoops — and shell out a fair bit of money — to use it. In new vehicles, virtually all in-vehicle systems are activated, with fees for using the service rolled into the price of the system. (The $750 price for the most basic MyFord Touch as an option probably covers less than $100 in parts: The rest is installation, fees, and margin for Ford and dealers). After a free period — three years for MyFord Touch — users have to start paying subscription fees to keep their navigation and other services active. Used vehicle buyers will have to start paying a lot sooner — perhaps from day one — or they simply won’t be able to use the technology. For used car buyers, sophisticated in-vehicle systems have up-front costs and pain.”

I think this is a bit misleading. As far as I know the only services you’d have to pay for would be satellite radio and sync services if you choose to keep them. But much of the main functionality will remain. And those with SD card Nav will continue to have nav…just seems an overstatement to say you won’t be able to use the technology.

“A few years from now, it might be common to see dark, dead touchscreens in the middle of dashboards. Non-functional or unusable in-vehicle systems could detract from a value of a vehicle if — as in the case of MyFord Touch — they’re the only way to handle core functions like climate control or volume levels.”

Honestly didn’t think much about this. But does have me wondering what would happen if something goes bad in the future. I think many of the parts are already near the end of their life cycle, so finding replacements will be tough unless Ford stocks a bunch which I doubt. I would also guess that there is a fair amount of proprietary connectors, drivers, etc that make drop in replacements almost impossible.

“A few years from now, it might be common to see dark, dead touchscreens in the middle of dashboards. Non-functional or unusable in-vehicle systems could detract from a value of a vehicle if — as in the case of MyFord Touch — they’re the only way to handle core functions like climate control or volume levels.”

Honestly didn’t think much about this. But does have me wondering what would happen if something goes bad in the future. I think many of the parts are already near the end of their life cycle, so finding replacements will be tough unless Ford stocks a bunch which I doubt. I would also guess that there is a fair amount of proprietary connectors, drivers, etc that make drop in replacements almost impossible.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I believe it's Kenwood that already has a plug and play replacement screen for the MyFord touch interface. Keeping all the functionality including Sync, etc