Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

Thanks for sharing. It's been almost a year for me with an unreliable MFT, and being told that each release was going to fix the problems when it didn't, or that I didn't know how to use the system and then I demonstrated the problem. This update is welcome, but not one that I can get excited about. I feel that Ford really blew it with the MFT product release and all they can do now is fix the system.

Sorry for the bummer post, but the MFT in my Edge still isn't reliable and the dealer says there will be no more updates until next year's release and that I just have to live with it. They were willing to reload the system, but I would have to give up the car for another day.

The missus and I were first time Ford buyers who will not buy another product from Ford. I feel that we were sold a non-production ready product with the MFT and while some of the owner's may accept the products short-comings, the lies, and the insults; I can't. This has been one customer experience that I don't intend to repeat.

I got that same email this morning and what they sent me said nothing about sending a flash drive to up date myfordtouch. It told me to go to syncmyride and get the latest down load of the new redesigned MyFordTouch , But I see nothing?

That's not the new MFT update. That won't be ready until Spring.

Quote from letter.

Early next year, owners located in the U.S. will be mailed a USB flash drive with the software

upgrade for installation that they can do at their own convenience. If they prefer, owners may

also visit their local Ford or Lincoln dealer for the software installation. The upgrade mailing will

include instructions informing owners how to simply plug the USB flash drive into the MyFord

Touch Media Hub’s USB port in order for installation to automatically begin.

Does anyone know what the plan is for Canadian Vehicles ?

I'm sure 'we' will have to go to our fine stealership to get this update. May be able to download it but probably will not get sent a USB stick send via mail.

'We' don't count...example: less SYNC features than USA

Quote from letter.

Early next year, owners located in the U.S. will be mailed a USB flash drive with the software

upgrade for installation that they can do at their own convenience. If they prefer, owners may

also visit their local Ford or Lincoln dealer for the software installation. The upgrade mailing will

include instructions informing owners how to simply plug the USB flash drive into the MyFord

Touch Media Hub’s USB port in order for installation to automatically begin.

Does anyone know what the plan is for Canadian Vehicles ?

I'm sure 'we' will have to go to our fine stealership to get this update. May be able to download it but probably will not get sent a USB stick send via mail.

'We' don't count...example: less SYNC features than USA

If it can be installed from a USB flash drive then it can be downloaded from syncmyride.com just like the current updates. You should not have to go to the dealer. Doing it this way keeps most of the load off the servers which will make it easier for those who have to download. I also think there is a legal issue with mailing software out of country.

Quote from Social Media rep on Facebook... I followed up with a request for more info on this.

Jaclyn At Ford Hey,!

Along with the Performance Upgrade that will be mailed out early next year, customers that purchased the navigation system will receive an SD-card with new and improved map data. :)

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jaclyn,

In-Vehicle Technology Team

Quote from Social Media rep on Facebook... I followed up with a request for more info on this.

Jaclyn At Ford Hey,!

Along with the Performance Upgrade that will be mailed out early next year, customers that purchased the navigation system will receive an SD-card with new and improved map data. :)

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jaclyn,

In-Vehicle Technology Team

Getting better and better :P

Gary Jablonski you and your team should be ashamed of this thing! I am a software product manager at a Fortune 1, before that at Apple, so maybe it's me…but reading this letter made my skin crawl and as a Product Manager I would be ashamed!

"Ford has held four customer clinics in which hundreds of owners talked directly to Ford engineers about their experiences with the new technology. Owner feedback was clear and consistent, revealing that MyFord Touch was a key purchase reason."

User experience has NOTHING what so ever to do with why-to-buy and or demand generation. "Purchase reason" is pre-sales, and "user experience" post-sales. It seems to me that the "experiences" were nothing to write about so all you were left was "this is why I bought the car…but it's been nothing but a failure".

"While owners reported that they love the system, there were distinct areas where they wanted improvements."

Looking around…anyone here "love the system"? <<Insert Crickets Joke Here>> The reality we all loved what the system promised but ended up HATING what it delivered, or failed to deliver.

"Earlier this year, Ford started delivering on their requests, beginning with more instructions and information on how to best utilize the capabilities of the system."

Oh, I see, it's a user problem! WE ARE TO BLAME because WE USERS don't understand your crappy UI! Tell me Gary, does my inexperience cause the system to freeze? Does it case the system to reboot? Does it cause the system to just have a black screen? I'm sorry! I'll for sure get on-line and take some training videos!

“Evolving the software with meaningful enhanced features was part of our plan from the very beginning. It’s no different than the experience with our smartphones and laptop computers – except now, it’s your car that gets better.”

Gary, I don't want you to "evolve" the software. I JUST WANT WHAT IS THERE TO WORK! Do you understand how angry I am that I spent over $3000 for a system I can't get to stay working for more than an hour or so of driving? As an owner, watching the Ford commercials for MFT, is a painful experience. I have no pride in ownership! Friends snicker in the car when the system dies on me….with "how much did you pay for this"? How sad is it that I need to use my iPhone for Nav because I can't trust the MFT system not to freeze and leave me far past my exit.

My 2007 GT500 with NAv has NEVER had an issue Gary! NOT ONE! and as far as UI and system responsiveness, runs rings around the 2011 MFT. It's for sure pretty but it doesn't work.

Anyway, I am currently driving with the rear camera image frozen on my screen…later today I will AGAIN pull the fuse and see if I can get it to clear. Of course I will loose EVERYTHING again and get to try MySync which given how often I have to do that is the one great thing about the system!

Thanks Gary!

• Like 1

Would anybody with some techknowlege like to weigh-in on how the performance enhancement and GUI redesign will address (or not) the 'black screen of death' issue? I purchased my vehicle a week ago, immediately upgraded to 2.11, and then 4 days later had my first experience with: First the iPhone doesn't pair anymore, then the rearview camera won't come on and when it finally does it stays on after you've shifted into drive, then the imfamous black screen of death. I guess I'll be keeping a 10mm wrench in the car to disconnect the neg. battery terminal as needed.

Would anybody with some techknowlege like to weigh-in on how the performance enhancement and GUI redesign will address (or not) the 'black screen of death' issue? I purchased my vehicle a week ago, immediately upgraded to 2.11, and then 4 days later had my first experience with: First the iPhone doesn't pair anymore, then the rearview camera won't come on and when it finally does it stays on after you've shifted into drive, then the imfamous black screen of death. I guess I'll be keeping a 10mm wrench in the car to disconnect the neg. battery terminal as needed.

Simple - the old one was written by BSQUARE using Flash. The new one was written by Ford and Microsoft and doesn't use Flash. It's totally new, more efficient software. The old software - at one point - had 1500 bugs. Never should have been released but the new Edge was fully dependent on it so Ford took a gamble they could stabilize it within a couple of months. They lost and they're paying the price.

Gary Jablonski you and your team should be ashamed of this thing!

<<in the interest of brevity, snip>>

Thanks Gary!

I couldn't agree more that from a product delivery standpoint, they should be ashamed of what they've foisted on the public. Every time I see a Ford ad on TV that's highlighting how great MFT is, I want to scream (actually, I usually do scream) "THAT"S NOT WHAT IT"S LIKE AT ALL!"

I've spent 35 years in IT infrastructure and have purchased lots of bleeding edge and beta software, but at least I knew what the risks were when I deployed it. With MFT, I haven't had the number of issues that some people have experienced, and I've learned to live with its idiosyncrasies in my 2011 Sport, but I really feel sorry for the people that may not have the technical insight into what's happening behind the scenes and are even more frustrated with it than I am.

Best thing I ever did was install an On/Off switch inline with fuse 29 so I could reboot the system when I wanted to (even driving down the road).

• Like 1

There is an entire thread of people who have had little or no problems with their MFT systems. I know others on other forums as well. It's not a universal failure and there are satisfied owners out there. I'm not defending Ford - just trying to keep the reality in perspective.

any links to the "people who have had little or no problems" and "other forums"

Thanks

Simple - the old one was written by BSQUARE using Flash. The new one was written by Ford and Microsoft and doesn't use Flash. It's totally new, more efficient software. The old software - at one point - had 1500 bugs. Never should have been released but the new Edge was fully dependent on it so Ford took a gamble they could stabilize it within a couple of months. They lost and they're paying the price.

Ford is paying the price? Boo Hoo

Sorry, I think that I am the one that is paying the price ($40k usd) for their f up

There is an entire thread of people who have had little or no problems with their MFT systems. I know others on other forums as well. It's not a universal failure and there are satisfied owners out there. I'm not defending Ford - just trying to keep the reality in perspective.

Where is that thread? I recall it being created several months ago but after a few posts, it seemed to die.

UPDATE

I just saw your post about Blue Oval thread. Wasn't there a thread on this forum?

Edited by wilsons66604

"Earlier this year, Ford started delivering on their requests, beginning with more instructions and information on how to best utilize the capabilities of the system."

Come on Ford!

Why should an owner need to read a manual and watch videos to learn how to use a system?!?

When a person rents an Edge at HERTZ or AVIS, will they be required to take a class before driving off?

The best technology is the technology that doesn't need manuals (iOS)

http://www.fordedgef...ith-their-edge/

Nick the moderator over on blueovalforums.com

To be honest, the subject of that thread is "Is anyone satisfied with their Edge?", which is a bit different than being focused on whether or not they're satisfied with MFT. If that's the only example you can come up with, I'd say that it's far outweighed by the number of threads on this forum that are related to MFT issues. Based on that alone, I'd say that the majority of people are frustrated and dissatisfied with MFT.

Personally, I really like my Edge. It's just the type of car I wanted to get and I'm happy with what I paid for it. I just happen to agree with JeffIsHereToo that they should be ashamed of the product and admit to it instead of marketing the new release as though they only want to continually improve the product out of good will. That kind of spin in a press release may work with the media and with anyone who hasn't actually used it on a day to day basis, but for those of us that have, it's insulting.

</soapbox>