Transmission issue-post your stories

Hollywood619

This week my 2008 MKX started having transmission troubles out of the blue. Upon take off it shudders and shakes the entire car, then as I try to accelerate it slips badly with any decent throttle application. The problem is that this problem is not throwing a code. I have the truck at the dealer now for them to try to replicate the problem. Has anyone else had an issue like this. I am glad that I have a CPO car and this is covered, but it is frustrating.

• Like 1

mine is an 08 limited. 80,000 miles. started jumping real bad when needing to down shift from od when pulling a hill. i thought it was a problem in the trans. had it checked out by a buddy at a trans shop. he said it was perfectly fine. another buddy in the fire dept said tune it up stupid:) it s got 80k on it. the new plugs fixed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We have a 2011 Edge Limited. Just over 30,000 Kms (Canada) and the transmission is doing the same thing that you mention above. You take your foot off the accelerator when coming to a potential stop. When you press the accelerator while still moving, it sounds like the transmission is smashing into gear. The car lunges forward and then you start moving again.

I'm going to take it into the dealer but going by the stories I've read so far, it doesn't sound like that is going to be much help. Of course it doesn't do it all the time and following Murphy's Law, it won't do it for me when they test drive it either.

Hey guys! i'm glad i found this post! i've been having the SAME problems!

Ā 

I called my local Ford dealer today and they think they know the problem! The Valve Body Plate needs to be replaced. The guy i spoke to replaced one last week on an MKX and did a few Edge's recently. He said theres a service board(?) out reguarding this faulty plate but it's not officially a recall. Something about the updated Edge's (and MKX's) not getting the updated part when the car was redesigned for 2011.

Ā 

Although he hasn't looked at my car, he said the symptoms are the same and the MKX he fixed last week ran waaaay better after they fixed it last week.

Ā 

Anyway, i'm taking my Edge in Friday to get fixed so we'll see what happens.

Ā 

Hopefully this helps your guys' problem too :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My 2011 edge SEL AWD is doing the same thing 10089 miles on it. I know when i bring it in for servicing, the same old frustrating answer will be told. we took it out for a test drive but couldn't replicate the problem. last night i attempted to get out of a turning lane and basically the car just rolled over into the next lane. i needed to step on it to get out of the way. the guy behind me was blowing at me. little did her know my edge didn't want to be driven for about 1-4 sec. then it just jumped into gear. i pay good money for this car, it still smells new and this crap is starting to happen.

I have been experiencing the transmission slam issue (occurs once every other week on avg.) and have taken to the dealership twice for repairs. They cannot duplicate the problem and therefore won't (can't) fix it. I brought in TSB 11-5-6 with me, but that didn't help. They call into Ford and are told they won't pay for the TSB 11-5-6 repairs without being able to duplicate the problem. I'll be going back a third time this week to take it for a drive with the Service Manager and some special tech. guy they're bringing in. I'll do my best to get the tranny to slam, but it's not easy to do. Wish me luck!

My 1990 Sable did the same thing. I learned how to drive so it wouldn't do it. Kept it until 2004 and traded it in on a 2004 Mercury minivan.

Ā 

Having said that, it appears that the problem won't be "fixed" by changing driving habits. I will keep the seat of my pants alert in case if happens to me so I can demonstrate it to Ford if needs be.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 MKX and i had the bump on acceleration from the time i bought it. It only happened about once a week. I read that TSB thanks to this forum and knew that that was what it was describing. When I took it in for its first service I told them about it....the advisor told me "ford likes the techs to diagnose problems and not just take TSBs from people"...when I got it back they said they could not duplicate it so they diodn't fix it...sigh...a little while later i took it to a different dealer and told them about the TSB...no problem, they did the TSB and I haven't heard the thump since.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2011 AWD 3.5L EDGE and i'm planning on changing the transmission fluid, when I looked for the draining place I found 2 bolts that look the same Which one is it? Or are they both used?And after draining how much fluid should I put in?These are pictures that show the

boltshttp://s13.postimg.o...1111_191543.jpghttp://s21.postimg.o...1111_191556.jpg