Maintenance schedule? For instance, oil and filter changes?

jeffreybehr

Can someone pls scan and e-mail (jeffreybehr(at)cox(dot)net) the pages in their owner's manual or point me to the correct page in the downloadable manual that contains the recommended maintenance intervals? I can't find it in the downloaded one.

I don't have my manual with me because my Edge is in the shop, but I do remember reading and they also told me at the dealersihp that you need an oil change every 5000 Miles.

My salesman told me 7500. It also states 7500 in the owners manual.

Here is something interesting. They tried to sell me a maint. plan. $795.00 for all the oil changes, tire rotations, balances, brake pads, etc for 3 years. They said oil changes were at 5000 miles. I talked to a friend of mine who runs a Firestone Tire Center and he said it is actually a good deal; based on his cost for the same services.

I looked through the owner's manual and saw 7500. Then I receive something in the mail from the dealership reminding me to come in at 5000 for my oil change.

I plan on showing up at 5000 miles, with mailer in hand, hoping they tell me I have to wait.

5k for extreme conditions - heat, idling, towing, dusty conditions

7.5k for normal operation of highway and city driving without those extremes.

I got my first oil change at 4.5k for free from the dealership and intend on buying the maintenence plan for 6 years @ 5k intervals as i live in a hot and often dusty area and occassionally tow things or drive with excessive weight in the vehicle. YMMV

Let's say, you will put on 15K miles / year. You purchase your own parts. Let's use high numbers for everything, Oil @$3/Qt. x 5 plus filer = $20 x 3 changes / yr. @5K = $60/yr x 5 yrs. = $300. A lot of places will take your used oil.

Brake pads should last for 50K miles. So 1 change @ 3.5 years, plus labor @ $150/parts @$40. = $190.

Tires good for 60-70K. Installed say $ >$500. - not covered under any plan, just tossing that in.

Ford's have always had a rep. for maintaining alignment, so again.. not going to use that as a cost basis.

Add in air filters and Washer fluid. I'd say for 5 years, doing your own oil @ 5K and changing pads once. would run $500 MAX. Use Synthetic oil and going to 7.5K changes would even be cheaper. Ford Motorcraft is a syn. BLEND, BTW.

Just food for thought. You do it and save about 1/2 the dealer plan price, + your time going their.

• 1 month later...
Let's say, you will put on 15K miles / year.

Wow only 15k a year I wish I could get by only driving 15k haha I bought my Edge back in March thats 6 months ago and I got 18k already haha. I drive a bunch for work and get reimbursed for the miles at $0.47/Mile + $ for gas.

Yes its true you will save money if you do it yourself I don't think anyone would deny that but for me while my vehicle is under warranty I almost always bring it in for service and tell them to look at every little squeak and noise I notice while driving . For me its just peace of mind knowing a "certified" mechanic is working on my vehicle, yes some "Stealerships" will work you over on price but most of them are fare.

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer provides the 1st year of oil changes for free at 3K intervals. I read the manual and it says 7.5K intervals. I figured to take the dealer up on their more frequent service since it doesn't cost me anything. However, someone told me that it is detrimental on a newer cars to change the oil more frequently. Does anyone have any science to confirm or deny this?

I average 25,000 miles a year, and I don't consider it a waste at all. When it comes out at 3000 miles, the oil is not clean. It's my money, my time, and my satisfaction.

Maybe others will find this helpful:

Your new 3.5 L engine has an Aluminum Block and 4 Valve Heads. Machining tolerances are great compared to just 10 years ago. Actually each 'new' engine, Tolerances get tightened up considerably compared to the previous generation. What is causing the darkening of the Petroleum oil is blow-by. Combustion gases leaking past the rings, and mixing with the oil. Since the development of the Gas turbine, conventional oil was unable to hold up to the elevated temperatures encountered in them. Synthetic oil's were developed to cope with that problem. Thank your American Farmer the next time you see or hear about Soybeans.

'Oil's' in the last 8-10 years have seen a great improvement also. Ford did not go with 5-20W just for mileage reasons. It's lighter, flows better, less resistant. Motorcraft is a Blend of Petrol and Synthetic oils. ADDITIVES are what constitute the difference between 'oils'. Gas Turbine OIL is not changed out like other oils, Yes, during a major inspection, but those engines operate about 20 HOURS/DAY, day after day, month after month. At each inspection, the oil is just topped off. It's the additives that break down in an oil. When Ford upped the change interval, it's done by considering how long the oil will keep it's properties intact, with the Worst case driver. The SUV Cell-phone wearing, Soccer MOM, who has no idea what Oil is or where it goes. I think some GM's and other cars now can tell YOU, when to change your oil, instead of a set time frame.

'Normal' operation, which is approximately 90-95% of the people who will buy the Edge, is now 7000 miles. That would give a margin of error to 10K before the oil's lubrication properties were depleted and lubrication and anti-wear become a concern. I have a 2 year old Garaged Ford that has yet to roll over 4K miles, - Should I have changed that Oil yearly? I don't think so.

I had a College professor, who wrote the text book being used, and I quote him: "Get the most expensive oil, and the cheapest gasoline, you can find". Times have changed! You ARE wasting money period, when you change oil under 5-7K miles. Just put in Any 100% Soybean Synthetic Oil and your Go to Throttle Up to 10K miles. As always, YMMV.

I average 25,000 miles a year, and I don't consider it a waste at all. When it comes out at 3000 miles, the oil is not clean. It's my money, my time, and my satisfaction.

I didn't say you were wasting money. You are but that's not the point. You're wasting oil unnecessarily. It's not good for the environment or the country.

I didn't say you were wasting money. You are but that's not the point. You're wasting oil unnecessarily. It's not good for the environment or the country.

That oil is recycled unless it's being drained in a ditch somewhere. I believe most oil base stock comes from Pennsylvania for Lub oil anyways, some of the finest oil around. Once it's out of the ground, it's out. Most recycled oil is cracked again and used for a lot of thing's, notably diesel fuel.