Audiophile Sound System

Hoping some of you guys can give me some insight on the Audiophile sound system. I have heard almost nothing about it other than total watts and speaker #'s. All the other sound systems available on the Edge had some details available on the "Build Your Edge" page. I am very picky about my sound systems and have usually ended up going aftermarket for the best sound. After hearing about all the time spent on cutting down noise on this vehicle, I would presume that extra attention was then put into a good sound system! This time around, I would like to give some consideration to the stock audiophile stystem. Has anyone had a chance to give a good listen to this option? Would appreciate any input on the bottom line......How does is sound?

Thanks in advance!

:sos:

There was an online PDF recently posted here. I think it was a 14 page "dealer" brochure on the Edge. On Page 8, this is what it had to say:

Maximize your listening enjoyment with the latest in

audio technology. Edge’s available Audiophile® Sound System

features a 6-disc in-dash CD changer with 9 speakers in 5

locations: 4 two-way speakers are mounted in the doors, and

an 8" subwoofer and 190-watt amplifier are mounted in the

back to round out your sonic experience.

Personally, I don't really care if they aren't in seperate locations. First off, I'm freakin deaf. And deaf in the high tones. So anything they have will be good enough. Just the fact that they have them vs a single cone is good enough for me. Second, my days of installing custom stereos are over. I just don't care to futz with that stuff any more. Factory stereos have gotten good enough that I don't feel the need or want anymore.

So I think I will be quite pleased with the factory stereo. Or at least the Audiophile one...

Personally, I don't really care if they aren't in seperate locations. First off, I'm freakin deaf. And deaf in the high tones. So anything they have will be good enough. Just the fact that they have them vs a single cone is good enough for me. Second, my days of installing custom stereos are over. I just don't care to futz with that stuff any more. Factory stereos have gotten good enough that I don't feel the need or want anymore.

So I think I will be quite pleased with the factory stereo. Or at least the Audiophile one...

Look guys... I distinctly remember, that the audiophile system stated........

a THX audio system with 14 speakers and a sub-woofer!

Did I miss something??!!

Did I miss something??!!

Did I miss something??!!

From what I have read the upscape THX system was only available on the MKX, they have to hold something back for the jump in cost on that vehicle. The edge was listed in post #2 above (92merc) as a 9-speaker system with sub. I am also upset that they didn't put the tweeters up high to help with seperation but I am waiting to hear from someone whom actually listened to the audiophile set up before I write it off.

I can't speak for the rest of you but the only time I get turn it to eleveeen, is while I am in my car (CUV) alone, so I look forward to a clear sounding system with no distortion. It goes a long way towards taking the edge of a long drive home. With all the attention focused on making this a quite cab, I am hoping the sound system is worthy. I drove a Murano with a sun roof and it sounded like a wind tunnel which would ruin the best stereo.

• 1 month later...

Did I miss something??!!

9 speakers in 5 locations: 4 two-way speakers are mounted in the doors, and

an 8" subwoofer

9+4+1=14

I've listened to the system and for the money you can't go wrong compared with any aftermarket.

And yes, the interior is quiet.

• 4 months later...
9 speakers in 5 locations: 4 two-way speakers are mounted in the doors, and

an 8" subwoofer

9+4+1=14

I've listened to the system and for the money you can't go wrong compared with any aftermarket.

And yes, the interior is quiet.

Nope, :stop: 9 total in the Edge. Re-read that sentence you quoted please.

Anyways, as far as the Audiophile system goes I have definitely been disappointed. I traded my '02 Exporer Limited in for the Edge and assumed I would love the sel+ audiophile sound system as much or more in the newer car. No such luck. First off Ford changed the company they get speakers from and the new one's are definitely a step down. I'm sure they saved money by doing so.

As far as tweets in the A-pillars go, I took off the covers to inspect and you won't be able to run them there because of the air bags under the cover. I'm going to build little pods for my new ones to go on the top of the door in front of the defroster vent.

But for now I've got the rear sub panel off and am building a new box. The stock box is made of ABS plastic and has the amp attached to it. With the space I will save by putting the new amp under the second row seat I can build a much bigger/sturdier box and will be able to put a 10" in. Don't get me wrong, you can get plenty of great sound from an 8", just not the way they did it. I'm just going bigger because I can. It is a neat way they built it but it is just way to boomy. It is not the crisp sound I grew to expect from my previous Ford.

Obviously this is all subjective. I'm certain there are many who are totally happy with their system the way it is. Ford knows this and that's why they felt they could cut some corners with cheaper stuff. I'm a professional musician and probably listen to things with different ears than someone who just wants to rock out to Slayer or listen to talk radio; much love.

I've attached a picture of the sub box and the space with it removed. I can update as my project progress'. Please post up if you've already put in a new sub of your own creation!

Love ya and your Edges!

post-609-1178860732_thumb.jpg

post-609-1178860850_thumb.jpg

Anyways, as far as the Audiophile system goes I have definitely been disappointed. I traded my '02 Exporer Limited in for the Edge and assumed I would love the sel+ audiophile sound system as much or more in the newer car. No such luck. First off Ford changed the company they get speakers from and the new one's are definitely a step down. I'm sure they saved money by doing so.

As far as tweets in the A-pillars go, I took off the covers to inspect and you won't be able to run them there because of the air bags under the cover. I'm going to build little pods for my new ones to go on the top of the door in front of the defroster vent.

But for now I've got the rear sub panel off and am building a new box. The stock box is made of ABS plastic and has the amp attached to it. With the space I will save by putting the new amp under the second row seat I can build a much bigger/sturdier box and will be able to put a 10" in. Don't get me wrong, you can get plenty of great sound from an 8", just not the way they did it. I'm just going bigger because I can. It is a neat way they built it but it is just way to boomy. It is not the crisp sound I grew to expect from my previous Ford.

Obviously this is all subjective. I'm certain there are many who are totally happy with their system the way it is. Ford knows this and that's why they felt they could cut some corners with cheaper stuff. I'm a professional musician and probably listen to things with different ears than someone who just wants to rock out to Slayer or listen to talk radio; much love.

I've attached a picture of the sub box and the space with it removed. I can update as my project progress'. Please post up if you've already put in a new sub of your own creation!

Love ya and your Edges!

My edge has the stock 4 spkr system and it is...well...ok. But i will be upgrading as i am alot like u guys and i want crisper/ thumping sound. And yes as one of the menbers stated earlier...no room for twetters in "" pillars....air bags. The air bags are also located above the front doors and stretch all the way back to the rear. I had the whole inside cieling panel down doing some aftermarket wiring and saw them on each side of the vehicle. Delicate work was used around those things...high dollar to replace.

Anyways

Oops. Back in January I didn't know the Edge and Lincoln are different in many aspects. Now that I've seen a few ten thousands I know most of them.

It's not often I sit in a vehicle to listen to music anyway, as I was in the MKX to watch a movie. In my own vehicle I either listen for the traffic report on AM or open the windows and listen to the exhaust :)

To me any extra weight of speakers,body cladding,spoilers or such just slows the car down in the 1/4.

I'm talking about the THX system in the MKX. I've never seen one in the Edge but plenty of the Lincolns are ordered with it (14 speakers), where are the nine you are talking about? You couln't get the one in the middle of the dash or the ones in the d-pillars or the tweeters in the doors?

Edited by Canadasvt

Oops. Back in January I didn't know the Edge and Lincoln are different in many aspects. Now that I've seen a few ten thousands I know most of them.

It's not often I sit in a vehicle to listen to music anyway, as I was in the MKX to watch a movie. In my own vehicle I either listen for the traffic report on AM or open the windows and listen to the exhaust :)

To me any extra weight of speakers,body cladding,spoilers or such just slows the car down in the 1/4.

I'm talking about the THX system in the MKX. I've never seen one in the Edge but plenty of the Lincolns are ordered with it (14 speakers), where are the nine you are talking about? You couln't get the one in the middle of the dash or the ones in the d-pillars or the tweeters in the doors?

You are correct. The MKX has the 14 speakers. The Edge only has 9 with no middle front speaker,tweeter-mid-range whatever in the front doors, and no speakers in the D pillar.

The THX in the MKX sounds wonderful, especially with the extra sound deadening material.

I'm a professional musician and probably listen to things with different ears than someone who just wants to rock out to Slayer or listen to talk radio; much love.

Have you tried listening to your MP3 with earphones while in the Edge? You won't get any better than that plus save much money,time,effort. Keep headbanging sister! :rockon:

• 1 month later...
Hi, just wanting to know if anyone can help us track our Ford Edge. We ordered it 5 weeks ago, ordered from the dealership on May 28th 2007. This is the VIN number on our order form JM1BK143141145674.

Would be able to provide us any information on this?

thanks

We are on two week summer shutdown now. You may have better luck asking at blueovalforums.

Personally, I don't really care if they aren't in seperate locations. Second, my days of installing custom stereos are over. I just don't care to futz with that stuff any more. Factory stereos have gotten good enough that I don't feel the need or want anymore.

Agree 100%! When you're young it seems like a big deal. But then you grow up and realize that most of you time is spent at home on the couch. So in comes the home theater! Car stereo's only sound good it the car is not moving... no matter how much dynomat is used. So ppl turn the volume up to overcome the noise and then wonder why they cant hear so good anymore. Had a car with 2500w when I was young. Maxed at 162db in competitions. I'm paying for it now!

Agree 100%! When you're young it seems like a big deal. But then you grow up and realize that most of you time is spent at home on the couch. So in comes the home theater! Car stereo's only sound good it the car is not moving... no matter how much dynomat is used. So ppl turn the volume up to overcome the noise and then wonder why they cant hear so good anymore. Had a car with 2500w when I was young. Maxed at 162db in competitions. I'm paying for it now!

Hear, hear!

I have the Audiophile Edge. A 6 cd-mp3-changer with an mp3 input AND Sirius radio pumped thru 190 watt amp to 8 speakers and a nice 8 inch bass?!? What else would you need? After adjusting the Bass and Treble, it sounds just as good as the custom stereo in my Jeep that I traded in.

1 cd = 700 mb

700 mb * 6 cds = 4200 mb

Average mp3 song = 5 mb

4200 / 5 = 840 songs

That's one h*** of a playlist for a road trip.

Hear, hear!

I have the Audiophile Edge. A 6 cd-mp3-changer with an mp3 input AND Sirius radio pumped thru 190 watt amp to 8 speakers and a nice 8 inch bass?!? What else would you need? After adjusting the Bass and Treble, it sounds just as good as the custom stereo in my Jeep that I traded in.

1 cd = 700 mb

700 mb * 6 cds = 4200 mb

Average mp3 song = 5 mb

4200 / 5 = 840 songs

That's one h*** of a playlist for a road trip.

I agree as well.

I was supposed to have the Audiophile with the factory nav, but the dealer made a mistake. What he apparently didn't know was that if the dealer installed the nav, you only get the Audiophile headend and not the speakers, amp or sub. :banghead:

I'm a little dissappointed, but at least the business end is correct. I'll replace the door speakers and that will satisfy me, since I want the two way speakers in the doors even if I don't get the sub!

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to upgrade the stereo system from the dealership. I have the audiophile system and I am looking to add SIRIUS but I don't want all those wires running all over the place so I just want to swap out the main unit and add an antenna. Does anyone know if this is at all possible? I called my dealership but spoke with a sales person who was just trying to get me off the phone saying I should goto Best Buy or Circuit City. Thanks for any answers!

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to upgrade the stereo system from the dealership. I have the audiophile system and I am looking to add SIRIUS but I don't want all those wires running all over the place so I just want to swap out the main unit and add an antenna. Does anyone know if this is at all possible? I called my dealership but spoke with a sales person who was just trying to get me off the phone saying I should goto Best Buy or Circuit City. Thanks for any answers!

Contact your local dealership, ask for the service department. Ask the service man- who's the local radio shop in your area that handles the factory authorized repairs. Call that shop and they can answer ALL your radio questions. I had some radio questions and that's what I did.