Mac, my 2011's front suspension is starting to knock a little while going over bumps. I already did the swaybar links. What usually goes first up front??? Just hit 90 Grand.

Gosh, I am at 200,000 just about. Only suspension work I have done to my Edge is new struts and strut bearing mounts. Check those and ball joints.

• Like 1

After about 8 times around the circumference of the earth and just 40K miles short of a one way trip to the moon. My Edge LU has now developed wheel bearing failure. Not exactly sure which wheel(s) but I will let it ride just a bit longer to make it easier to determine the failed wheel then if it is the back I will replace both rears and so on. Either way I will be replacing ALL four wheel bearings shortly. Now just to decided do I go with OEM motorcraft, SKF, Timken or Moog so many decisions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Long term effort to test oils with the duratec 3.5.

I have ran various oils to date through my 3.5 Duratec on both of my 2011 Edge's.

I am now changing the oil brand for the 5th time. I have ran a synblend bulk oil initially with bulk filter then changed to a AMSOIL with AMSOIL filter for multiple runs with the 0W20 and now I am using Mobile one with AMSOIL filter.

I am now going to the the Purolator Boss oil filter and REDLINE 5W20 synthetic motor oil.

I have testing from many of this oils under two entirely different extremes. 1) all city high idle time and 2) all interstate mileage.

I run the same oils during the phase of the testing for Each brand

The All city Edge is ran for 100 hrs and the All highway is ran for 200hrs

Results so far have me against using 0W20 weight oil for any 3.5 for two reasons; 1) Bearing and high metals wear the oil is just too light for hard use 2) Highway use the extended drive hours (200) the Duratec consumes the oil through the PCV system and will use over a quart of oil during a 200 hr run.

Currently I have mobile one and have lost just over half a quart in the 200hrs and the 100hr engine seem to be just slightly down at nearly 100hrs. Testing samples will be collected soon

My goal is to build a data base of use in hours and type of oil my weight and brand and hopefully show how the oils behave with the 3.5 duratec.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Hello everyone, MAC T here and I am starting a new topic called double edged. The situation is as follows:

I currently own and drive two Ford Edges. This topic will be used to follow two 2011 Ford Edge Limited as they both experience usage in opposition. The Blue Metallic 2011 (MOMOSHA Car) driven mostly city driving and virtually no highway vs the Cinnamon Metallic 2011 (work car) which will be driven 95 percent of the time on interstates in long haul driving situations.

How will each one handle the different driving conditions? What repairs will result in the greatly different usage? Time will tell and it will be documented on this topic.

Note: The documentation of most repairs will be on video.

It has now been two years documenting the maintenance and repairs on both of the 2011 Edge's. So far pretty good results and both are still reliable and run very well.

Had some repairs, but I would consider most to be under the consumable list. Let's see what the future holds as the miles build up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mac, did you try to glue the disc on the old remote first? It worked for me. What is strange is that your unlock button, seems you use it a lot, why not just pull the door handle & utilize the smart keyless entry?

On my fob, the remote start button failed, and it is the one I press the most (double click to remote start).

• Like 2

Mac, did you try to glue the disc on the old remote first? It worked for me. What is strange is that your unlock button, seems you use it a lot, why not just pull the door handle & utilize the smart keyless entry?

On my fob, the remote start button failed, and it is the one I press the most (double click to remote start).

You are a funny man assuming it was my remote. It is my wife's remote to her Edge and WE both will never know why she does not just grab the door handle to unlock the door. LOL You can ask her though, but I will not. LOL

I could not find the missing piece and for 15 buck her remote now looks brand new. It was pretty worn and beat up from being in her purse.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hedging my bets and bought a new fan assembly for my wife's Edge Blueberry. She does a lot of idling and since she is nearly 96K miles I figure this saves me a phone call later while I am on the road and not home. Just replace the fan and hand on to the old one as a back up for LU since LU has 211,000 miles on her fan now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cold weather was rather hard on the aging Michelin Latitudes. Had one go flat and the others were just having issues with holding air. Combination of old rubber and cold temps. Had a yokohama YK580 installed for now (had it laying around the garage) Next week the new Michelin Premier LTX's will be delivered and installed. Then I can test traction in snow vs the blizzaks. Worn Blizzaks vs New Michelins. Wonder which will win.

• Like 1