Suggested Service 700.00!

mmcclure

Service adviser just called stating the 30,000 mile suggested service could be completed while they are completing the TSB 11-05-06 transmission issue. (If you don't know of it, search the forum, print and take to your dealership to get it fixed). She said they had 2 packages..... $700.00 or $400.00... to change the fluids... I even double checked the phone to make certain I was not on the phone with my Mercedes Benz dealer. LOL needless to say told her we would complete this at a later date.

Service adviser just called stating the 30,000 mile suggested service could be completed while they are completing the TSB 11-05-06 transmission issue. (If you don't know of it, search the forum, print and take to your dealership to get it fixed). She said they had 2 packages..... $700.00 or $400.00... to change the fluids... I even double checked the phone to make certain I was not on the phone with my Mercedes Benz dealer. LOL needless to say told her we would complete this at a later date.

That does seem excessive.

Thanks for the heads up on the TSB

Jack

• 2 months later...

30,000 service :

oil change - 19.95 - 59.95

rotate and balance - 39.95 - 79.95

air filter - 30 - 40

alignment - 69.95 - 149.95

trans service - 169.99 - 229.95

rear brake clean and adjust - 34.95 - 59.95

just a quick breakdown from a service advisor of current going rates on a typical 30000 mile service.

now, here's my gripe with your advisors attempt. judging by your sig you have a 2011 edge. well according to ford motor company, the fluid is good for 150,000 miles under normal conditions. since NONE of us drive in normal condtions i agree that trans fluid has to be changed out earlier, but not 120,000 miles earlier. my technicians inspect the fluid at every service and pull a sample for the customer every 30,000. i usually see the need to flush at or around 90,000

I would get the oil change and tire rotation done. At my dealership that's $50-60. I'm a believer in regular alignments.....about every 15,000 miles and around $100 for a 4 wheel alignment at my dealeship. Keeping vehicle properly aligned keeps tires wearing properly, and along wih rotation, not only gives longer tire life, but makes the tires run much more smoothly their whole life. I like my vehicles to drive as nice when tires have 50,000 miles on them as when vehicle is new.

Edited by RJG

30,000 service :

oil change - 19.95 - 59.95

rotate and balance - 39.95 - 79.95

air filter - 30 - 40

alignment - 69.95 - 149.95

trans service - 169.99 - 229.95

rear brake clean and adjust - 34.95 - 59.95

just a quick breakdown from a service advisor of current going rates on a typical 30000 mile service.

now, here's my gripe with your advisors attempt. judging by your sig you have a 2011 edge. well according to ford motor company, the fluid is good for 150,000 miles under normal conditions. since NONE of us drive in normal condtions i agree that trans fluid has to be changed out earlier, but not 120,000 miles earlier. my technicians inspect the fluid at every service and pull a sample for the customer every 30,000. i usually see the need to flush at or around 90,000

Could you tell me what this is? "rear brake clean and adjust - 34.95 - 59.95"

Man it's nice to be an old Do-it-Yourselfer! Not sure why there is ever a need for an alignment unless parts are replaced or ya had an accident.

My experience is as the vehicle ages and wears.... the rear toe gets out. More so than rear camber. Maybe more changes with miles than front suspension. http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/issue/article.aspx?contentid=90813

Edited by RJG

Go to your car's service manual pages in the owner's manual and only do what it tells you is required! Asking for a 30,000 service is = to please TAKE MY MONEY.

I had the same issue with the trans fluid change at 45,000km (30,000 miles) from the Dealer in Canada. They see the Special Usage page and see it as a licence to print money! They use the excuse that living in Canada during the winter means that it's "special usage" but nowhere on the list of usages that indicate special usage does it state cold winter driving.

An inspect of the oil and a visual check of the oil colour is a good indication of its condition. Now at 80,000km (50,000 miles) and still looks good.