Plasti Dip my Grille

cjd3

I was able to secure a garage for a few hours today and Plasti Dipped my grille and badge.

post-22419-0-91344300-1344217251_thumb.jpg

After masking out the grille, I applied some 4 to 5 coats of Plasti Dip and I am pleased with the outcome:

post-22419-0-96872000-1344217259_thumb.jpg

I also blacked out my Edge badge too. If Ford hadn't changed the Edge Logo, I probably would have just removed it.

post-22419-0-27601700-1344217256_thumb.jpg

I only needed one can, and boy is it forgiving. There are some spots I will need an X-Acto knife to trim off some of the edging, and there are some sections that got pulled off a little with the tape. But all in all, it's not noticeable, and there isn't much of an orange peel texture.

• Like 2

Looks good. I am thinking about redoing my grill with plastidip, but I can't get it shipped to Germany. I am flying to the states at the end of this month, so I'm going to pick up a few cans to do my grill and wheels. But I think I might coat my grill with the shiny plastidip. But I think I'm going to pull the grill off the car and do it that way. I have to take the 3M off first.

• 3 months later...

Haven't thought about it. I like how it looks as is. Did you gloss yours? If so, post some pics so we can see how it looks.

I glossed mine. You can see somewhat of a difference in respect to how it blends with the gloss black body color. I liked the matte but I love the gloss just because it blends in better. Did the grille and the wheels...also helps it hold up better as well.

All black grille

Perf,

I see, I don't think taking your grill off is necessary for dipping your inserts. If you tape it well you will do fine. Just remember that if you don't take your tape off before its dry, you might have a problem taking the tape of clean. Since the plasti-dip is sprayed on both the grill and the tape, when you take the tape off the dip might want to go with it. You will need a straight edge or blade of some sort on hand for a clean separation, if needed. Or, you can put your coats on quickly and take the tape up while its still drying, but if you are doing 5 coats, that is probably not possible.

I took my inserts off, so I was able to spray them without taping a lot. I taped the tabs off that have to fit through slots on the grill when you re-install them. Take the inserts off is more work in the end, but I learned more about the car.

Have you watched my video on how to dip your wheels? I just cleaned my grill the same way I cleaned my wheels in that video and it worked great.

Edited by Cellbine

I glossed mine. You can see somewhat of a difference in respect to how it blends with the gloss black body color. I liked the matte but I love the gloss just because it blends in better. Did the grille and the wheels...also helps it hold up better as well.

I expected the gloss look to be..idk, glossier. How glossy would you say it actually is? It looks somewhat similar to the matte finish.

I'm not sure, but if you do try it, use a fine grit sand paper. I actually have no idea how gloss plasti-dip finishes.

Any thoughts Cmillz? Would you even bother with sanding?

It's actually pretty glossy. It won't shine like the body paint but it gives it that "wet" look. Like paint does when it rains if that helps? As for the sanding thing, I wouldn't try it. I feel like it would take some of the plasti-dip off and would end up ruining it. Even if it did work, I doubt it would help it shine or anything like that....But the glorious thing about plasti-dip is that it's cheap! So if you do decide to try it out it won't be that big of a deal...

Cool. Plus, if you spray your coats at a good distance and keep your coats even, it should come out pretty smooth. Get your technique down and you wont have a problem.

Exactly. And plasti-dip is more forgiving than paint as well. If you make a mistake with paint, it's going to dry with that mistake. A small mistake with plastidip will even out when it dries. A big mistake can just be taken off pretty easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how to safely remove plasti-dip from a painted surface? Some of it dripped on the body paint of my edge on both the front and back bumpers and I would like to remove it w/o taking the paint off as well. I know plasti-dip sells a solution but I was looking for something that I wouldn't need to have shipped here...

There are a few options. Last one should be last resort though. If anyone else can think of other options, feel free to post them.

Option 1) Try to remove it with a clay bar. This is your best shot at getting it off.

Option 2) Try a high speed buffer.

Option 3) A lot of people are going to get loud about this one, but it should only be used as a last resort. I don't recommend this, but you could try cleaning it with gas. As a warning, using gas on your paint could do more damage than good. You will need to be very quick to clean the applied area. Again, this is a last resort.

There are a few options. Last one should be last resort though. If anyone else can think of other options, feel free to post them.

Option 1) Try to remove it with a clay bar. This is your best shot at getting it off.

Option 2) Try a high speed buffer.

Option 3) A lot of people are going to get loud about this one, but it should only be used as a last resort. I don't recommend this, but you could try cleaning it with gas. As a warning, using gas on your paint could do more damage than good. You will need to be very quick to clean the applied area. Again, this is a last resort.

Where can I get a clay bar? and I've heard of ppl using clay bars on their cars before...what else can they be used for?