Plasti Dip my Grille

cjd3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
What kind of prep work do you have to do to the grill? Plan on dipping mine this weekend.

Clean it first, but most importantly, dry it, and everything around it. If water accumulates near the grill, it could drip down while you are spraying. This happened in a few places for me an it left a little mark, but it mostly went away after a few more coats. Blue 3M tape is pretty good too for protecting the lights and vents.

Remember to leave a slight gap when masking, you do not want to tape right on the line.

So my first attempt didn't go so well haha. It looked really bubbly up close. Didn't look to bad from far away. When i started to take the tape off it started to peel some of the plasti-dip from the grill.Maybe ill just try taking the inserts out so i dont have to worry about tape when i do it again.

And maybe ill wait until it gets warmer outside. Didn't know about the temp thing.

So, when I did a search on the forum, to find all the other information on this site for how to remove your grill, I found that the external link that we have always refered to isn't working. In turn, I found one of my old posts by searching for "grill" that can help you.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11803-12-sel-grill-replacement/?p=89882

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done a matte grill and rims on a silver SEL? I'm considering plasti-dip for all the chrome front and back (including door handles) but would be great to see photos if anyone has done it. I did a little photoshop work and I think it looks pretty good.

Thoughts?

post-26529-0-44071600-1368803504_thumb.jpg

post-26529-0-82257200-1368803505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Has anyone done a matte grill and rims on a silver SEL? I'm considering plasti-dip for all the chrome front and back (including door handles) but would be great to see photos if anyone has done it. I did a little photoshop work and I think it looks pretty good.

Thoughts?

Looks good! I'd go for it

• Like 1

Thoughts?

I did my rims, will do my bumper next week...

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/11507-how-to-plasti-dip-your-rims-video-tutorial/page-2?do=findComment&comment=96142

Thanks to Candurin, I am able to hit the holidays that were left when I ran out of PD. Quick little weekend Project.

20130519_104728_zpsfc842f8f.jpg

20130519_122644_zps4e3c21ef.jpg

20130519_125547_zps643591e8.jpg

And while I was at it, I dipped the back of my S4. Im really suprised how much it adds to the phone. The phone feels very sturdy and I feel way more confident when I hold it now.

20130519_133809_zps98d03da2.jpg

• Like 1

Finally, a great use for sale papers ;) Great results, Cellbine, both the car & phone!

Thanks! I have wanted to PD my cellphone for awhile lol

My pleasure. Just have your wife send me some amazing Korean recipes that we can cook at home (arguably my wife's favorite cuisine).

I had that problem before. I just took a little extra time to not have the tap overlap the area that I'm dipping. All the tap peeled off clean this time.

Have your wife take a look at our old Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PobMogo/featured

We don't make videos anymore, but there are some great recipes.

Man! I wish my bumper didn't come out like crap when I tried to mask it. That's why I am going to resort to taking the bumper off.

It kept peeling off the PD when I removed the tape.

Oh well. Bumper removal seems easy enough.

Thanks guys. I think I will tackle this in the coming weeks. Maybe rims then front grill. Any forums/links/videos for taking off the front bumper? Seems like this is the best way to do it. I'll be sure to take some photos and post when i'm done.