RAM AIR INTAKE INSTALLED

CHECK IT OUT!.....ON ACCELERATION I MUST ADMIT IT SOUNDS REALLY GOOD DEFINITLY DOES NOT SOUND LIEK A FACTORY EDGE GET ONE!! IT WAS REAL EASY TO INSTALL AND IT COMES WITH A SPECIAL RAM AIR ATTACHMENT THAT YOU CAN STRETCH OUT TO ANY OPEN SPACE OF THE FRONT END SO FOR THOSE OF YOU LOOKING FOR A COLD AIR SETUP IT WILL WORK THAT WAY ALSO...HAVE FUN!!

post-1295-1189030202_thumb.jpg

Edited by carbonedge07

I don't think you can get any better cold air intake , than the position the factory intake is at. It's ducted straight to the grill. Yours is set to pull air that has been warmed off of the engine.

post-1037-1189032774_thumb.jpg post-1037-1189032794_thumb.jpg post-1037-1189032810_thumb.jpg

Pictures 1 & 2 look more like Ram Air to me.

First off if your worried about warm air from the engine look to the right side of your factory intake box you will see an opening thats sucks in the same air my new intake does as for the factory ram air attachment that is simply to save you gas on highway so the motor doesnt have to search for air at the constant speed......what my new intake does is allow the air to travel more freely and it creates a smooter path for the air and like i said the kit comes with almost 12' or 3" ducting and all the attachments to add your own RAM AIR EFFECT...and trust me ive been driving around with this intake the past few hours and the car just sounds way more aggressive and when i have a 5.0 mustang as my weekend car the new sounding 3.5L now satifies my ears for during the week EXHAUST COMING SOON...

I'm lost here, I thought i said and the pictures show, that 'MY' air is coming straight from the grill, where yours is coming from inside the engine compartment, - You seem to have yours bent down behind the radiator. You'll have to explain how yours is not sucking air from outside the compartment, as I just can't see it from your photo's. To each his own on this mod, but that is no ram air induction. It's just a straight pipe intake. If your happy with the increase in sound, fine. What I do see is a washable filter on a pipe. Glad your happy with it.

Perhaps, you could have told people where you got it, what it was and how much.

CHECK IT OUT!.....ON ACCELERATION I MUST ADMIT IT SOUNDS REALLY GOOD DEFINITLY DOES NOT SOUND LIEK A FACTORY EDGE GET ONE!! IT WAS REAL EASY TO INSTALL AND IT COMES WITH A SPECIAL RAM AIR ATTACHMENT THAT YOU CAN STRETCH OUT TO ANY OPEN SPACE OF THE FRONT END SO FOR THOSE OF YOU LOOKING FOR A COLD AIR SETUP IT WILL WORK THAT WAY ALSO...HAVE FUN!!

Hey that looks good man.....i have been reading the replys, and just do your thing man....do not worry about some of the negative replys. Most people who buy the edge are not into mods or even understand the reasoning behind them. You, me, NYedge and a few others on here like to do that kind of thing....we like to be differant and extract more power and performance from whatever we drive (i have owned 2 saleen mustangs myself) so keep up with the mods. I will be ordering the intake you have next week and am going to try and use the ram air kit for colder air.

• 6 months later...

Not trying to be negative or knocking. Thats not a "RAM Air". I wouldn't even call it a Cold Air Intake. Not sure how low it goes, but its just an intake, short arm. Ram air is where air is forced straight into a duct and into the motor. Cold air is when the intake extends outside of the engine bay and away from the hot air. But anyway...

You said you noticed HP increase, which is good. I was wondering, have you noticed your gas mileage go up or down, preferably up? I'm looking to at least put in a filter, or an intake to help out with the mpg. Of course more horsies are nice, but I didn't buy the edge to hammer red light racers :hysterical: .

I have modified 4 F150's all 5.4's with exhaust, FIPK and chips or programmers. I received nothing more than an extraction of money from my wallet. The sound was appealing and all four seemed to feel more responsive, however any claims of HP increase could not be verified by the seat of my pants. 10% increase is hard to feel no mater who you are.

I enjoyed modifying all my previous Trucks some cars and my Bikes. I get 23-24 mpg all the time with my 07 Edge SEL+, MPH average is usually 45mph. And yes that is a lot of Highway. How else can you get an MPH average of 45 without being on the highway a great deal.

I noticed on every single one of my FIPK kits that when cleaning my filter there was always a fine dust film inside the Tube. I really enjoy K&N products in the right application, however on my daily driver I would just as soon not draw dirt into my engine. Before you dispute this claim take an oil sample to a CAT Dealer or some other place that does oil analysis and see for yourself what the dirt levels are after running an Open Air Cotton filter an a straight intake tube. I have done this several times and always had high levels of dirt with recommendations to change air filter and retest at half intervals.

They just simply aren't good for a daily driver, unless you enjoy washing your rings out of the engine.

• Like 1

I agree with the others, it's neither cold air or ram air but rather a pipe with an air filter on it. I doubt you'll gain mileage since it would appear you're most impressed with the sound, something that's only acheived by putting your foot in it. Back it the day we used to just flip the air cleaner lid upside down for the same effect. Without actually testing the airflow, air temp etc. you likely won't know if it actually increases performance/mileage or decreases them.

Like I said, equivalent to what we used to do as kids, flip the air cleaner lid upside down and punch holes in the exhaust pipe and think we had a hot rod.

Edited by dave-m

• 3 weeks later...

ill be getting one of these.. but ill pick the new k&n cold air intake soon..and yea u need to install the heat isolation at the back of that filter

• 2 weeks later...
I have modified 4 F150's all 5.4's with exhaust, FIPK and chips or programmers. I received nothing more than an extraction of money from my wallet. The sound was appealing and all four seemed to feel more responsive, however any claims of HP increase could not be verified by the seat of my pants. 10% increase is hard to feel no mater who you are.

I enjoyed modifying all my previous Trucks some cars and my Bikes. I get 23-24 mpg all the time with my 07 Edge SEL+, MPH average is usually 45mph. And yes that is a lot of Highway. How else can you get an MPH average of 45 without being on the highway a great deal.

I noticed on every single one of my FIPK kits that when cleaning my filter there was always a fine dust film inside the Tube. I really enjoy K&N products in the right application, however on my daily driver I would just as soon not draw dirt into my engine. Before you dispute this claim take an oil sample to a CAT Dealer or some other place that does oil analysis and see for yourself what the dirt levels are after running an Open Air Cotton filter an a straight intake tube. I have done this several times and always had high levels of dirt with recommendations to change air filter and retest at half intervals.

They just simply aren't good for a daily driver, unless you enjoy washing your rings out of the engine.

I've been using K&N filters for years on and off road)and the only time I see dirt is when I am lazy. First of all the k&N Saves you from replacing filters now and then but they don't stop you from servicing them.

I always have had two of each Used on a vehicle. I service the filter often to keep the oil fresh and the filter clean. I don't wash them and then use high pressure air to dry them for it damages the material and creates holes. Every 1000 miles of street driving or after a weekend of camping. I change the filter with a fresh oiled one. Seeing how I don't want to wait for the washed one to dry and I like to let them sit 24hrs after oiling. I use the next filter. I put the dry spare away ( sealed) and oil it the day before I use it. on the next change.

This is how I care for my K&N filers. Agree or disagree it works for me. "Intake pipe is clean"

I agree with the others, it's neither cold air or ram air but rather a pipe with an air filter on it. I doubt you'll gain mileage since it would appear you're most impressed with the sound, something that's only acheived by putting your foot in it. Back it the day we used to just flip the air cleaner lid upside down for the same effect. Without actually testing the airflow, air temp etc. you likely won't know if it actually increases performance/mileage or decreases them.

Like I said, equivalent to what we used to do as kids, flip the air cleaner lid upside down and punch holes in the exhaust pipe and think we had a hot rod.

you are bringing back memories.

Cool forced air is better than sucking in hot ambient air from the engine compartment. More HP

But who has the best solution? time will tell. I just stuck a K&N filter in my stock box. I am trying to find some way (that I like the look) to get cooler air forced into the side baffle hole. I don't like the dryer tube idea. I owned a volvo Shop for years an some of the turbo charged cars had long intake hoses that might go down and under but then water could be a problem? I am waiting to see what comes out in the next year. so whatever I come up with may be a temp solution.

I too do Mods to everything I drive or ride. but there is nothing worse than spending money on an improvement that only seems to make an improvment at first but in the long run I find out nothing has changed. and boy have I been there.

So far I did my exhaust with Bullet stainless steel

Put in the K&N popped out the baffle on the side ran a small 3" diam tube up to the hole for some cooler air

and ordered the sct x3 performance programmer pre tuned. I hope this helps as Specified

I have a little more top end power a little less bottom end. More Noise ( Oh Boy) I'm a 55 year old kid

"you likely won't know if it actually increases performance/mileage or decreases them."

I would after being a master technition for 30 years and racing for as many you can tell. But I can also tell when it is just noise !!!!

I am not an expert but I get by.

HEY WHO CAN A GET ONE IT LOOKS NICE.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be burst any bubbles or be a pain in the butt, but I've been a car guy since the 60's and have modified every vehicle I've ever owned, and I know a great deal about performance. Heck I had a new exhaust system on my Edge a week after I purchased it, but that's another story and another post on this site). (I also drive a 67 shelby clone ragtop that is a real performer.)

Although your unit may look nice and definately allows for more air flow, it isn't "ram air". I agree with others and I know that you are drawing in much warmer air than the stock system. (Colder air, more h.p.) Yes it probably sounds louder, but louder isn't more h.p. either.

If you inclosed the unit and got air from the grille or from a hood scoop, I'd have to admit that it would be "ram air".

I'm in the works planning a functional hood scoop that will give actual ram air and I would like to hook it up to a unit similar to yours.

Hope I didn't offend, just wanted to state facts.

If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there.

Edited by hoamdezinahs

Not to be burst any bubbles or be a pain in the butt, but I've been a car guy since the 60's and have modified every vehicle I've ever owned, and I know a great deal about performance. Heck I had a new exhaust system on my Edge a week after I purchased it, but that's another story and another post on this site). (I also drive a 67 shelby clone ragtop that is a real performer.)

Although your unit may look nice and definately allows for more air flow, it isn't "ram air". I agree with others and I know that you are drawing in much warmer air than the stock system. (Colder air, more h.p.) Yes it probably sounds louder, but louder isn't more h.p. either.

If you inclosed the unit and got air from the grille or from a hood scoop, I'd have to admit that it would be "ram air".

I'm in the works planning a functional hood scoop that will give actual ram air and I would like to hook it up to a unit similar to yours.

Hope I didn't offend, just wanted to state facts.

so hoamdezinahs.. does something like this get you closer to a truer "cold air" intake system as they claim since it is trying to protect the intake from warmer engine air (i.e., the surrounding cover), but not closer to a true "ram cold air intake system" since it is not forcing outside air directly into the air intake?

Lex, thank you for bringing that system to our attention. It appears that the "green system" based on the info provided, is a real "cold air "system. From looking at the picture it appears that the unit probably still uses the factory air intake which could, if a case was made, be called ram air sinces it takes air from the outside and at speed that air is forced into the air box.

FROM THEIR ADD

"GREEN COLD AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM -- Increases Horsepower, Improves Throttle Response, Fuel Mileage, And Provides Better Torque Throughout The Engine's RPM Range, Replaces Inefficient Factory Air Box With A Green Filter High Flow Open Filter And Air Box That Seals To Hood For Cooler Air Charge And Less Restrictive Air Flow, Includes A Custom Molded Oversized OEM Quality Intake Tube With Reinforced Silicon Connectors Where Applicable, Aircraft Stainless Steel Clamps And Hardware"

The unit above that started this post is not though, do you not agree?

Lex, thank you for bringing that system to our attention. It appears that the "green system" based on the info provided, is a real "cold air "system. From looking at the picture it appears that the unit probably still uses the factory air intake which could, if a case was made, be called ram air sinces it takes air from the outside and at speed that air is forced into the air box.

FROM THEIR ADD

"GREEN COLD AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM -- Increases Horsepower, Improves Throttle Response, Fuel Mileage, And Provides Better Torque Throughout The Engine's RPM Range, Replaces Inefficient Factory Air Box With A Green Filter High Flow Open Filter And Air Box That Seals To Hood For Cooler Air Charge And Less Restrictive Air Flow, Includes A Custom Molded Oversized OEM Quality Intake Tube With Reinforced Silicon Connectors Where Applicable, Aircraft Stainless Steel Clamps And Hardware"

The unit above that started this post is not though, do you not agree?

Hi hoamdezinahs. :D Unfortunately, that system is not a true "CAI" (Cold Air Induction) System, nor anywhere near a "Ram Air" system. It just uses a conical open element filter at the end of a pipe, sitting at the top of the engine bay where the hottest air is. Or, to re-qoute your excerpt from above: "Open Filter And Air Box That Seals To Hood". The key words being "Open filter and air box".

If you look at the picture of the filter and heat shield, and read the description carefully, it does not use the factory air intake. It simply sits at the top of the engine bay, with a small, partial heat shield around the conical air filter. The heat shield has a gasket that "seals" against the bottom of the hood, but it is still almost wide open to the engine bay on the other three sides. Therefore. it is simply pulling in hot air from the engine bay.

Now, if you can run it down to the bottom of the engine bay, closer to the ground, it could truly be called a "Cold Air Induction System". Since heat rises, it would be pulling in cold air from down low. The problem with doing this using an unsealed system and open air filter is the danger of submerging the system in water if you should drive through water that is deeper than your filter is high.

As you said, you have been modifying cars since the 60's, so you probably knew most of this, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 weeks later...

A true Ram Air system from EELCO that I put on my 1968 Pontiac Bonneville, 428HO 4-speed. Patterned after the Olds W-31, "Streetsweeper". Check the inlets on either side of the nose connected to 2 giant hoses leading to the aftermarket aircleaner housing. Problem with overpressure at high speeds required drilling holes in the air cleaner housing.

428HO.jpg