Plasti-Dip Help

cmillz1331

So I recently had a wheel deal go bad so I'm probably going to plasti-dip my stock wheels until spring rolls around to get some new 20's or 22's. My friend has used plasti-dip before and I'm familiar with the product but I have two questions.....on wheels, do you use any adhesion promoter first or just clean and apply plasti-dip directly? And where is the best/cheapest place either locally or online to buy this product? Thanks!

just clean the wheels and spray it on, if you spray anything else on you will ruin them and defeat the purpose of plastidip being able to be pulled back off. best place to get it is home depot or lowes for $5-6 a can. You can also get different colors on dipyourcar.com

I used 1 can for my entire front grille, probably 4 or 5 coats. I think you should get 3 cans, just in case, since your wheels should be off the car when you do this. You can always return the unused cans when you are done. Also. Really shake the can at first, a lot more than you would normal spray paint.

If you don't want to take the wheels off the car this is what you can do. Get a trash bag and cut it in the middle of the open end to roughly 80% to the bottom of the bag vertically. it will look like a pair of pants. Then feed the bag behind the wheel (at the top) and drape the two legs of the trash bag down to cover the rotor. This will completely cover everything behind the wheel so you can spray freely. A few pieces of tape to hold the legs of the bag together after it passes the middle of the wheel will help. Do not remove the trash bag until all your coats are dry.

Ā 

When you apply your first coat, regardless if you take your wheels off or not, you should not be a complete coat. Spray the entire wheel but let it have about 50-60% transparency. It should be a light coat. This will help your next adhere well to the wheel. Your coats after the first one can be full on coats. People have different time frames between coats, but if you wait 15-20 mins to let them dry you should be fine.

• Like 2

If you don't want to take the wheels off the car this is what you can do. Get a trash bag and cut it in the middle of the open end to roughly 80% to the bottom of the bag vertically. it will look like a pair of pants. Then feed the bag behind the wheel (at the top) and drape the two legs of the trash bag down to cover the rotor. This will completely cover everything behind the wheel so you can spray freely. A few pieces of tape to hold the legs of the bag together after it passes the middle of the wheel will help. Do not remove the trash bag until all your coats are dry.

Ā 

When you apply your first coat, regardless if you take your wheels off or not, you should not be a complete coat. Spray the entire wheel but let it have about 50-60% transparency. It should be a light coat. This will help your next adhere well to the wheel. Your coats after the first one can be full on coats. People have different time frames between coats, but if you wait 15-20 mins to let them dry you should be fine.

Okay thanks! yeah it would be easier to just do it with them on....I'll take your advice and post how it goes. It will probably be in another week or two just because I'm so damn busy :angry2: But thanks for the help guys, really helped a lot and made it seem easier

for starters if you spray with the wheels still on the car, I'd be very careful about spraying to much at once because you'll get runs thanks to gravity.

Ā 

using the glossifier won't do anything to it in terms of making it harder to peel off, it's basically like a plasti dip clear coat. it will give it a little extra durability most likely but it shouldn't just start peelilng off on its own unless it gets chipped.

Ā 

i think you need to use google a little more because a lot of these questions can easily be searched with plenty of answers out there. i know you don't want to screw up, but I get a sense of all the questions you've asked lately that you don't work on cars a lot and I foresee some "oh I screwed up" threads coming. sorry if that's harsh.

Edited by c_bova

If you keep a proper distance from the wheel and don't overload the coats you will be fine. The procedure is pretty simple so there is no need to over complicate things :D

Ā 

If you want to make sure you have your technique down, first try a few coats on a practice piece of wood or something else you dont mind a little plasti-dip on. When you have the method down you will be good to go on your actual project.

If you keep a proper distance from the wheel and don't overload the coats you will be fine. The procedure is pretty simple so there is no need to over complicate things :D

Ā 

If you want to make sure you have your technique down, first try a few coats on a practice piece of wood or something else you dont mind a little plasti-dip on. When you have the method down you will be good to go on your actual project.

Okay thanks sounds good. I have been watching some videos on YouTube of the dipyourcar channel and they help a lot

OK, here are some tips that you might actually find find helpful:

Ā 

1- Buy a 'comfort spray grip' (my rust-oleum brand one cost $6.98 from lowe's, http://www.lowes.com/pd_284850-90-241526_0__?productId=3078199)

The reason for this is to ensure that your 'trigger finger' remains smooth and consistent. If you are not used to spray-painting anything large or for a long time, your 'trigger finger' will cramp up - trust me.

Ā 

2 - whether painting wheels off the car or on, you want very light even strokes (like 50% on first swipe, it will look wrong but trust me - prevents runs)

Ā 

3 - you want at least (4) coats and really be sure work the outer edge of the rims (all the way around!!!) and get that coated thoroughly, as later this will provide a good thick base for peeling off in the future.

Understand that the thinner the coat, the harder it is to come off cleanly; sort of a paradox, a thicker coat means that peeling becomes easier when you want to but also provides a stronger base to fend off knicks that will attack your base.

Ā 

4 - with you car in NEUTRAL (do not use brakes if you are using the trash bag method to protect calipers/rotors above - too risky having bag catch inside caliper), when done coating - roll back about 2-3 feet.

This will give you a different view of the wheels so you can make sure you hit the wheels with dip completely and not missed any spots.

Ā 

Lowe's and HD do not carry the platidip gross, I verfied this today; Lowe's has black plastidip for $5.98 per can.

Ā 

Happy dipping...

OK, here are some tips that you might actually find find helpful:

Ā 

1- Buy a 'comfort spray grip' (my rust-oleum brand one cost $6.98 from lowe's, http://www.lowes.com...oductId=3078199)

The reason for this is to ensure that your 'trigger finger' remains smooth and consistent. If you are not used to spray-painting anything large or for a long time, your 'trigger finger' will cramp up - trust me.

Ā 

2 - whether painting wheels off the car or on, you want very light even strokes (like 50% on first swipe, it will look wrong but trust me - prevents runs)

Ā 

3 - you want at least (4) coats and really be sure work the outer edge of the rims (all the way around!!!) and get that coated thoroughly, as later this will provide a good thick base for peeling off in the future.

Understand that the thinner the coat, the harder it is to come off cleanly; sort of a paradox, a thicker coat means that peeling becomes easier when you want to but also provides a stronger base to fend off knicks that will attack your base.

Ā 

4 - with you car in NEUTRAL (do not use brakes if you are using the trash bag method to protect calipers/rotors above - too risky having bag catch inside caliper), when done coating - roll back about 2-3 feet.

This will give you a different view of the wheels so you can make sure you hit the wheels with dip completely and not missed any spots.

Ā 

Lowe's and HD do not carry the platidip gross, I verfied this today; Lowe's has black plastidip for $5.98 per can.

Ā 

Happy dipping...

Okay thanks! all the stuff you suggested was actually in dipyourcar.com's youtube channel videos but its nice to have in writing! I plan on doing this sometime this week and will post how it goes and some pictures, but will probably end up getting that spray grip for comfort! If needed, I am just going to order the gloss after I finish all of the coats. Thanks again guys