I have a 2013 ford edge sel w/appearance pkg. I really want to put led's in my puddle lights. First of all, does anyone know the bulb number. Second, I've managed to take the light out of the mirror but don't see how to get to the actual bulb to replace it. Please, anyone with experience with replacing the puddle lights, please let me know. Searched all over for some answers but the only thing I find is to replace the whole piece and unfortunately it's pretty expensive.

There used to be a big thread on this posted by KC300, but was somehow deleted from the forums and hasn't been restored. You pretty much have to take and cut the light open at the lip to get to the bulb and then reseal it when you are finished. My description is not super helpful, but I don't remember the specific details about the thread. I purchased mine from Daytimebrightlights.com. You can see their banners around the website.

I would definitely recommend DaytimeBrightLites for simplicity. But to do it yourself, you need to separate the lens from the housing (xacto or oscillating saw) and use 31mm festoon bulbs, such as http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZVZNPM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00). Then seal them up.

Ā 

Not difficult, but DaytimeBrightLites offers a simple plug and play solution.

Edited by candurin
  • Like 1

Just a heads-up, I'm running a sale on my LED Puddle Lights. $80 NOW $74.00 for a pair and I throw in a pair of bright LED bulbs to replace the ones in the license plate lamps. Send me an email for the details: info@DaytimeBrightLites.com.

Dan

PuddleLightSet.jpg

Edited by kc300c

• 1 month later...
Just a heads-up, I'm running a sale on my LED Puddle Lights. $80 for a pair and I throw in a pair of bright LED bulbs to replace the ones in the license plate lamps. Send me an email for the details: info@DaytimeBrightLites.com.

Ā 

Dan

Ā 

I started a new Holiday Sales Event with all of my unique custom LED lighting products for the Ford Edge are discounted anywhere from 5% to 15%, including my exclusive LED Puddle Lights. The LED Puddle Lights are NOW $74.00 per set and still include the free pair of replacement LED bulbs for the License Plate lamps. As of today (December 13) I have 20 sets in stock. I have been shipping about 4 sets per day since the sale started and that pace seems to be rising since the sale began.

Ā 

My lights would make a great gift idea, so start dropping hints to your loved ones pointing them to my website www.DAYTIMEBrightLites.com.

Ā 

Ā 

LEDs16445x286.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Holiday Savings Event

Ā 

Vertical LED Running Lights (1 pair ā€“ includes controller and installation kit)**:

Ā 

Option 1: Center Mounted OEM Light Pipe (Part# OEM): $259.00 10% savings (was $287.00)

Option 2: Without Light Pipe (Part# XPIPE): $244.00 10% savings (was $271.00)

Option 3: Offset LED Accent Light Pipe (Part# OFFSET): $324.00 15% savings (was $382.00)

Option 4: Ford Edge SE models only:

SE Version 1: Center Mounted OEM Light Pipe (Par# OEM-SE): $332.00 10% savings (was $368.00)

(OEM light pipe acts as a diffuser for Philips DRL. and does not light up as an accent light alone).

SE Version 2: Without Light Pipe (Part# XPIPE-SE): $313.00 10% savings (was $347.00)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ā 

LED Puddle Light Pack (Part# PUD-PAK)**: $74.00 5% savings (was $78.00)

**NEW & IMPROVED. 25% BRIGHTER and whiter color light**

Includes 1 pair of LED Puddle Lights and 1 pair of LED bulbs to replace the stock bulbs in your license plate lamps.

(Custom LED colors available. Contact us for pricing and availability)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ā 

LED Interior Dome Light (Part# DOME)**: $43.70 5% savings (was $46.00)

Ā 

We modify the inside of the dome light to allow for a custom mounted huge super bright 48 LED panel array for the center

position and two 16 LED panel array bulbs for the outer two reading lamps.

Ā 

Interior LED Replacement Bulb Pack (Part# LED-PAK): $15.50

- Includes two 12 LED Array bulbs (Map Light), and one 16 LED Array bulb (Rear Cargo Light)

Ā 

** Prices based on using our Core Light Return Deposit Program. A fully refundable deposit(s) will be added to your order After you remove your old stock core lights and send them back to us, the deposit(s) will be fully refunded Core Deposit Amounts: Vertical LED Running Light: $75.00, LED Puddle Light: $56.00, LED Dome Light: $45.00. Returned lights must be in good physical and functional condition and returned within 14 days after receipt of your new LED lights. (Extensions can be given with written approval by DAYTIME BrightLites).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ā 

Flat Rate Shipping:

U.S. Addresses (2-3 Business Days): $22.00 - LED Running Lights, $9.00 - LED Puddle Lights or LED Dome Light

Canada: (6-10 Business Days): $47.00 - LED Running Lights, $24.00 - LED Puddle Lights or LED Dome Light

International Addresses (6-10 Business Days): $52.00 - LED Running Lights, $24.00 - LED Puddle Lights and/or LED Dome Light.

We can combine shipping on multiple product orders.

Ā 

Ordering / Payment: We accept PayPal. To place your order, email us at info@DAYTIMEBrightlites.com with your name, shipping address, phone number and email address associated with your PayPal account. We will then send you a PayPal invoice to make your payment.

Ā 

Guarantee: NO RISK 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not happy with your DAYTIME BrightLites product, simply return the lights within 14 days for a full refund of your original order amount, including the shipping, no questions asked. We will also pay for you to ship them back. So you risk nothing when you purchase any of our DAYTIME BrightLites products. (Must be returned in original condition within 14 days)

Ā 

Warranty: Vertical LED Running Lights: 1 year full replacement. LED Puddle and LED Dome Lights: Full replacement for as long as you own your vehicle.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Contact us now, so we can ā€œMake Your Stock Lights BrightLitesā€

Ā 

Ā 

info@DAYTIMEBrightLites.com

Edited by kc300c

Muser, I used the LED's posted by Candurin and just got them installed last night. For $5 and less than an hour of time they look great. Let me know if you are still looking to do this and if you want any input...I tried to take a few pics as I went.

Ā 

Thanks for the post about the lights (original posted by Candurin) and the install by SoCalEdge2012. I just ordered a pair of the lights from the original link for under $3.00 which included free shipping!

Ā 

If you have any install hints or suggestions, I would like to see them posted here or if you want to PM me. I think if you posted on the board that would be more along the forum community idea of helping each other as there may be others interested in doing this themselves also.

Ā 

Thanks

We just did these on a sponsor vehicle, cut a PCB board to fit the lens and crammed 36leds in there. It's a dark blue that turned out really cool looking, and since they aren't on when vehicle is in motion, then they're 100% legal.

Ā 

I'll post pics soon, also did the drls with 72leds in each housing.

If you have any install hints or suggestions, I would like to see them posted here or if you want to PM me. I think if you posted on the board that would be more along the forum community idea of helping each other as there may be others interested in doing this themselves also.

Ā 

Sorry, haven't checked the boards for a while.

Ā 

First, just a list of tools needed: Flathead screwdriver, super glue, need nose pliers, nail polish (if you have some), clamp, and some type of cutting device. Some use a dremmel, I used this saw since I happen to have it already http://www.michaels.com/Revell-Razor-Saw-Set-With-Fine-Blade/kd3597,default,pd.html?cgid=products-kidsteachers-models-tools&start=6

Ā 

To remove from the mirror housing, stick the screwdriver in the small slot to depress the clip, then drop one end out, then the other.

Then unclip the wires...these were tough for me as mine had a "punch" in them so they would not come apart easily...

Once you have them out you can put nail polish along the edge where the clear lens meets the black housing.

Then, start cutting along this joint

post-24206-0-74399000-1356429678_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of it after I'm done cutting, you can see the separation

post-24206-0-51626600-1356429756_thumb.jpg

Once you feel you are sufficiently cut all the way around, stick a flathead screwdriver in the cut and gently twist, to pry the lens apart. I felt like I was going to break mine, and got a little crack noise when I did this, but it needed it to completely separate.

When you have the lens out, use the pliers to pull the old bulb out.

For me I needed to spread the prongs a little to get the new LED to fit as shown below using the pliers

post-24206-0-52601900-1356429867_thumb.jpg

Then pop in the new LED

post-24206-0-76956500-1356429893_thumb.jpg

Ā 

Before applying the lens, go out the the car, plug in, and TEST IT!

Ā 

Now apply superglue to the lens, apply a good amount since you now kind of have a gap to fill, and clamp it for a good 15 minutes so it completely dries and you dont reinstall into the vehicle with wet glue.

Then plug it in, double check functionality, then pop the unit back in, and enjoy the pretty new light.

Ā 

Sorry for the quick and dirty write up...wee morning hours of Christmas. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SoCalEdge2012" data-cid="89598" data-time="1356430070"><p>

<br />

Sorry, haven't checked the boards for a while.<br />

<br />

First, just a list of tools needed: Flathead screwdriver, super glue, need nose pliers, nail polish (if you have some), clamp, and some type of cutting device. Some use a dremmel, I used this saw since I happen to have it already <a href='http://www.michaels.com/Revell-Razor-Saw-Set-With-Fine-Blade/kd3597,default,pd.html?cgid=products-kidsteachers-models-tools&start=6'>http://www.michaels.com/Revell-Razor-Saw-Set-With-Fine-Blade/kd3597,default,pd.html?cgid=products-kidsteachers-models-tools&start=6</a><br />

<br />

To remove from the mirror housing, stick the screwdriver in the small slot to depress the clip, then drop one end out, then the other.<br />

Then unclip the wires...these were tough for me as mine had a "punch" in them so they would not come apart easily...<br />

Once you have them out you can put nail polish along the edge where the clear lens meets the black housing.<br />

Then, start cutting along this joint<br />

<a href='http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attachĀ§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5188'>puddle 2.JPG</a><br />

Here is a pic of it after I'm done cutting, you can see the separation<br />

<a href='http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attachĀ§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5189'>puddle 1.JPG</a><br />

Once you feel you are sufficiently cut all the way around, stick a flathead screwdriver in the cut and gently twist, to pry the lens apart. I felt like I was going to break mine, and got a little crack noise when I did this, but it needed it to completely separate.<br />

When you have the lens out, use the pliers to pull the old bulb out.<br />

For me I needed to spread the prongs a little to get the new LED to fit as shown below using the pliers<br />

<a href='http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attachĀ§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5190'>puddle 3.JPG</a><br />

Then pop in the new LED<br />

<a href='http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=attachĀ§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=5191'>puddle 4.JPG</a><br />

<br />

Before applying the lens, go out the the car, plug in, and TEST IT!<br />

<br />

Now apply superglue to the lens, apply a good amount since you now kind of have a gap to fill, and clamp it for a good 15 minutes so it completely dries and you dont reinstall into the vehicle with wet glue.<br />

Then plug it in, double check functionality, then pop the unit back in, and enjoy the pretty new light.<br />

<br />

Sorry for the quick and dirty write up...wee morning hours of Christmas. Let me know if you have any questions.</p></blockquote>

Ā 

Nice write up! I just ordered my LED bulbs and will be doing this when I get them! I have 2 questions. Why did you put the nail polish on before you started cutting and is super glue good to use to seal them back up or should I use silicone?

Super glue seems to act as a good holder for something that won't see any real world stress or flex, like the puddle lights. But you should still squeeze in a small amount of clear silicone to prevent water seepage. Remember, it's not just gotta be waterproof, but also air proof, as air holds moisture that can condense on the inside of lens when it cools.

You can use a multisaw (oscillating saw) or just get an Xacto saw (that's what I used and was REALLY easy).

Ā 

http://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X75350-Extra-Fine-Razor/dp/B000BREQIO/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Ā 

Just watch your fingers.

Ā 

This is what I used to seal it back up (thanks to kc300c for his recommendation):

Ā 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00178MO58/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00

Ā 

Seals perfectly and I have had zero issues.

Ā 

Having said all this, have you considered getting the DTBL plug and play puddles? It's idiot proof and you don't have to do all the work.

Ā 

HyPer, I'd really like to see a photo of your LED puddle mods!

Edited by candurin

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the tip.

Ā 

Just ordered a pair from Amazon. Can beat free shipping but could take 4-6 weeks? Then again, what do you expect for $2.55?

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I would definitely recommend DaytimeBrightLites for simplicity. But to do it yourself, you need to separate the lens from the housing (xacto or oscillating saw) and use 31mm festoon bulbs, such as http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZVZNPM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00). Then seal them up.

Not difficult, but DaytimeBrightLites offers a simple plug and play solution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is lots of info out here already on the puddle lights so I didn't bother to do a write up but I just did mine. I bought the 5 watt Cree LED's from http://www.ebay.com/itm/230973307751?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and they are nice! WAY brighter that the original bulbs and they only draw 129 ma vs the stock dim bulbs that draw 380 ma. One thing to note is that they are listed as 31mm which is what the originals measure but these Cree's are actually 31.9mm They fit but you have to spread the prongs apart and work them back in once the bulb is in place.

Ā 

As far as taking apart the puddle lights, there is no need to cut or saw anything. The job is pretty easy overall and won't be hard to do for anyone mechanically inclined. I used a little bit of Goof off around the parameter of where the lens meets the body. I just kept putting a little on and letting it set. After about 10 minutes or so, I used an X-Acto knife to to get in between the lens and body. Slowly work around the parameter prying it apart until you find an area the comes loose. Then you work from that spot and continue around and the lens comes off nice and clean with no damage.

Ā 

I am doing my rear puddle lights as well and bought these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130474912171?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They color is just like the 5 watt Cree's and are also really bright. I may have to cut some of the LED's off, which you can do, so it isn't too bright. I am going to wait until I get them on before I cut off though.

Ā 

The attached Diagrams should help if you are doing the rear puddle light mods.

Ā 

I will upload some pictures after I get the rears put in this weekend.

Ā 

Here is the front 5 watt Cree bulb installed.

FrontPuddle1a.jpg

Ā 

FrontPuddle2a.jpg

Ā 

FrontPuddle3a.jpg

Ā 

Here are some pics of my rear puddle lights install.

Ā 

I ran the positive Red wire from the fuse box following the factory wire harness to the rear driver side door. I soldered the positive side and used a self tapping screw for the negative side as shown. I then continued the positive wire under the carpet under the rear seat over to the passenger side and then up to the passenger front door. I now have a positive feed for my rear puddle lights along with the supply for lighted door sills if I get them in the future.

Ā 

Rear%20Puddle%20Install1a.jpg

Ā 

Rear%20Puddle%20Install2a.jpg

Ā 

Rear%20Puddle%20Install3a.jpg

Ā 

Notice that these slots that the wires feed up through both in Dan's video and my pictures are for the clips to fit in for the rear sill plate. Notice I cut the rubber grommets off so they are only on the backside of the wire. Be careful when installing the sill plate to make sure you don't catch the grommet or wires. There is just enough room for the clip to fit in the slots without pushing out the grommet.

Ā 

Rear%20Puddle%20Install4a.jpg

Ā 

Here is the wire ending at the front passenger door. I put the heat shrink tubing on it to prevent any possible shorts.

Ā 

Rear%20Puddle%20Install5a.jpg

Rear%20Puddle%20Install6a.jpg

post-32148-0-28440900-1414122958_thumb.jpg

post-32148-0-22211900-1414122968_thumb.jpg

Edited by chipworkz
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...