Strut Tower Brace

PrinzII

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it's on. Took about an hour to take wiper cowl off and figure out how to install it. Definitely corners "flatter" with less body roll with my lowering kit I also have on. Love it! Drives like a car. It was $160 shipped from Hong Kong. We have a group buy on the facebk page "ford edge world wide"

post-27643-0-44688700-1443016776_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I know not having a facebook account is a rarity these days. But for those of us who don't. Is there any other way to see what mods are available?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-14-Ford-1st-Edge-Sport-Limited-Lincoln-MKX-Front-Upper-Tower-Strut-Bar-Braces-/130715773809?fits=Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AEdge&hash=item1e6f446b71&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Car finally came back from the autobody shop. Now I'm ready to install the strut tower bar....Question how does one remove the windshield wiper cowl? I would be greatly appreciative if someone wouldn't mind posting a diagram and or instructions.

I Know it should be straight forward but I don't want to start pulling stuff apart only to find out i screwed the pooch later.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by onyxbfly

From the 2007 FSM (hopefully only have to remove the upper panel?):

post-23566-0-73814100-1445973300_thumb.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 020A26 RH cowl side outer panel
2 020A27 LH cowl side outer panel
3 W712648 Upper cowl grille panel screws (4 required)
4 N804837 Upper cowl grille panel scrivet (4 required)
5 02222 RH upper cowl panel
6 02223 LH upper cowl panel
7 17526 Wiper pivot arm assembly bolt (2 required)
8 17508B Wiper pivot arm assembly
9 W707257 Cowl panel extension bolts (6 required)
10 021A37 LH cowl panel extension
11 W707257 RH cowl panel extension
12 W710593 Lower cowl panel bolt (5 required)
13 W702751 Lower cowl panel nut (3 required)
14 W710309 Lower cowl panel-to-front of dash bolt
15 02106 Lower cowl panel

Upper and lower cowl grille panel

1. NOTE: The upper cowl panel grille must be removed before the lower cowl panel grille can be removed.

Remove the LH and RH wiper pivot arms. For additional information, refer to Section 501-16 .

Upper cowl panel grille

1. Remove the RH cowl side outer panel.
  1. Remove the LH cowl side outer panel.
  1. Remove the 2 scrivets from the RH upper cowl panel grille.
  1. Remove the 2 bolts from the RH upper cowl grille panel and remove the RH upper cowl grille panel.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. Remove the 2 scrivets from the LH upper cowl grille panel.
  1. Remove the 2 bolts from the LH upper cowl grille panel and remove the LH upper cowl grille panel.

Lower cowl panel grille

1. Remove the wiper arm and wiper pivot shaft assembly.
    • Disconnect the electrical connector.
    • Remove the 2 bolts.
      • To install, tighten to 7 Nm (62 lb-in).
  1. Remove the 2 bolts from the upper left lower cowl grille panel extension and remove the panel.
  1. Remove the 4 bolts from the upper right lower cowl panel extension and remove the panel.
  1. Disconnect the wiring harness from the retainer on the left front of the lower cowl grille panel.

post-23566-0-88110600-1445973316_thumb.gif

1. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the powertrain control module (PCM).

post-23566-0-74929100-1445973333_thumb.gif

1. Remove the evaporative purge valve and bracket from the center of the lower cowl panel grille and set aside.
  1. Remove the 5 bolts and 3 nuts from inside the lower cowl grille panel.
    • To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).
  1. Remove the bolt from the lower cowl panel-to-front of dash.
    • To install, tighten to 20 Nm (15 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the lower cowl grille panel and PCM from the vehicle.

Thanks so much for the instructions/ diagram.

I decided to brave it. Unfortunately I got stuck on removing the wiper pivot arms. SMDH I knew better to leave it alone at that point. I remember my friend cracking his windshield trying to remove a wiper arm. IIRC everyone around him at that time said that prying it off was a bad idea.

I got everything back together and will try again sometime this week and or weekend. Will look into borrowing a puller and or what ever is appropriate for doing the job.

Thanks once again.

EDIT: When you have a moment can you shoot me the instructions on removing the wiper arms? I assume that a puller is necessary but I may be completely wrong on that one.

Thanks.

Edited by onyxbfly

Hmm. Should be pretty straightforward removing the pivot arms. Remove the cap and there's a hexagonal bolt that holds down the pivot arm. Remove & presto! To install, tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).

The only tip I know of would be to place a thick towel between the wiper blade and the glass to minimize any force exerted on the windshield.

Thanks once again WWWPerf. You're right It should be straight forward but after getting so closed and getting stumped by the pivot arm I want to fwd with having an idea of what I might run into. Thank you IRBB for the puller suggestion.

Unfortunately Mr. Murphy had other plans for me. I ran into a brick wall, after putting everything back together the car would not start.

I got a jump and let her run for 15 min. That was last night. Fast forward to this morning.

This morning the car would not start. I got a jump drove 30 min to wk thinking that is sufficient time to charge the battery. When I parked the car I checked to see if any lights were on. I pulled out the manual just to make sure everything was operating as it should be.

Hit the alarm, opened the trunk with the remote. Closed the trunk with the remote. I said to myself this is a good sign. In fact as soon as I sat down and put they key in the ignition the screen said that it was performing sync maintenance.

This is not a good sign. Then the radio comes on it was not on the last sirus station I had it on. The fuel tank incorrectly displayed the amount of gas in the car. Click....click...click.... this is deff not a good sign Got a jump and went to the dealership.... It slowly went back to normal as i made my way to the dealership.

The first service writer tested the battery and they said it was a bad cell. She said I'm in luck there is an open bay and I will have a tech R&R your battery. Sheer definition of irony. I turned the car off to park it while we talked. She gets in car would not start.

Service manager comes over and says that they need to do an extensive test on the battery.....2hrs later dude said my battery is fine and they fully charged it. If it happens again I can have Ford Roadside assistance tow it in. I asked him if he was aware that the battery died while it was parked for less than 5 min he assured me the battery is fine. I asked him if he could test the alternator, and or starter or anything else that would cause it. He said that that's not what the car was brought in for. they can only run one test at a time. but he said that assured me the car is fine......

He said that if it happens again that call roadside assistance and they will tow it in and they will do an extensive test on the charging system. I asked him if I bring it back can they just R&R the battery. Since the first test said there was an issue and the second test said its fine. Why not just replace it and take it from there. I shouldn't have to leave the car to have a battery swapped out. He looked at me like i had 5 heads and was truly confused. He said they will take care of it If I have to bring her back.

Fast Fwd after a much needed dinner relaxing evening with my lady I go to get in the truck and go home... turn the key.... I'm praying....click.. more prayers...click... she turns over. If shes dead in the morning I'm going to be livid.

The only thing I have done to my car was add HID lights and LED running lights. I think if the lights are the issue it would have reared its head a few months ago.I had the trunk open while wking on the strut bar as it was easier that running back and forth to get anything i needed etc. 2 things are plugged into my cigarette/ charge ports. USB car chargers. My ipod is plugged into the usb port. I have never had a issue like this before.

My car was recently in the body shop because some asshat hit me while my car was parked. That's a story for another day. 30 days later i get my car back and here we are today. I don't know if they left a door open and or light on while they were wking on my car. They brought it back on Monday and I did not have any issues at all.

I don't think that leaving the trunk open would kill the battery. Will report back in the morning.

Edited by onyxbfly

:( Sorry to hear, this must be SO frustrating! You need to buy Mr Murphy a few drinks, it seems like, been ignoring him ...

Whereabouts was the Edge hit? Front/rear/? The "battery" problem could be many things, unfortunately:

A] An actual bad battery, especially if it is original to the Edge (very likely)

B] Loose/corroded battery cable terminals (possibly loose from disconnection/reconnection during body work)

C] A shorting component like an APIM or shifter

D] Bad alternator

E] Failing starter

F] Shorted wiring (the most annoying issue to fix)

Anyways, keep us updated!

When the battery is replaced, the Battery Monitoring System needs to be reset so that the PCM knows it's new and learns the new battery's characteristics.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes it is frustrating due to the fact that I have had her all of 4 months and she has been to the dealership 4 times....

I dont if the dude tried to pull into the parking spot or back in when parallel parking or simply came to close to while moving fwd. She was parked on the left side of the street. I came out from wk and i do my usual. Pop the alarm. pop the trunk. Close the trunk and get it.

When I checked my passenger mirror before pulling out the mirror seemed odd. Wasn't in the same position I left her in. What I initially thought was dust/ dirt whatever on the mirror ended up being the mirror cracked. The effin asshat put mirror back on. There were dents and dings and a paint smear going from nose to tail.

At first I thought to myself well I'll buy a new mirror and see how bad it looks if I can rub the paint smear out.

Several drinks later and I take a look at her in the day light I knew there was a no way that it would be rubed out. I looked up the price of a mirror and the cheapest I was able to get it for was 80 or so less than my $500 deductible. It was a no brainer at that point.

You're right me and Mr. Murphy need to sit down have a few, exhale, laugh and have a few more. Hopefully he may find someone else to ream out.

I'm almost afraid to try to start the car... :headspin::headscratch::(