New My Ford Touch Software Released

All vehicles are covered by the TSB. That is why the dealers updated every vehicle

on the lot. All you have to do is play the game and tell them your having phone

issues or turn by turn directions is not working right. Ford doesent want to do a

major recall. Read the TSB it covers many items and also says System Preformance

which is all inclusive. Had my 2011 edge done last week and wifes 2013 escape a

few days later. Both had nav which was replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I had multiple problems with MFT version 2.15.16 that came with my new car in June 2013. Talked to Ford headquarters support and they recommended an update to 3.5.1 and the A4 card. Made an appointment with my dealer to have this installed. They did install the new A4 card yesterday but with software version 3.34.4. I phoned back to ask why 3.5.1 was not installed as asked for and was told that that was the latest version they had in their computers. I'm not sure how much difference there is between 3.34.4 and 3.5.1.

Ā 

The noticeable differences are the temperature now beside the time at the top centre and a lot more icons on the map display for everything including McDonalds, gas etc etc. Voice recognition understands "twenty-two" as well as "two two" in an address.

Ā 

One major disappointment for me was the Destinations page is now one page instead of two. The ability to input latitude and longitude is gone. It never worked before anyways with any coordinates input receiving the message, "Address unknown. Terminating input" or something to that effect.

Ā 

For me this is a big loss and I hope they can get this working again as it was a strong plus in my purchasing decision as I do a lot of hiking. Hiking start points are often alongside a road and have no street address. There is a website TorontoHiking.com that has over 60 walks and hikes and the latitude/longitude is given for each hike trailhead so the loss on longitude/latitude is big for me. Hopefully this is temporary until they can get it working in a future update.

Ā 

When I complained to the Ford My Touch technical service, the rep said he had never heard that longitude/latitude didn't work. Seems more people need to complain about this if it's important to you.

Ā 

Fortunately I have a Garmin Nuvi which has all of these coordinates installed and the big plus is that you can program it attached to your computer. Wish there was a way to do that with MFT. The new Escape (yes I know this is an Edge forum but MFT is the same) has a nice flat platform above the nav display which is perfect for mounting the Nuvi. Still it seems a shame to have to do that with a brand new and much more expensive navigation system already in the car.

I had multiple problems with MFT version 2.15.16 that came with my new car in June 2013. Talked to Ford headquarters support and they recommended an update to 3.5.1 and the A4 card. Made an appointment with my dealer to have this installed. They did install the new A4 card yesterday but with software version 3.34.4. I phoned back to ask why 3.5.1 was not installed as asked for and was told that that was the latest version they had in their computers. I'm not sure how much difference there is between 3.34.4 and 3.5.1.

Ā 

The noticeable differences are the temperature now beside the time at the top centre and a lot more icons on the map display for everything including McDonalds, gas etc etc. Voice recognition understands "twenty-two" as well as "two two" in an address.

Ā 

One major disappointment for me was the Destinations page is now one page instead of two. The ability to input latitude and longitude is gone. It never worked before anyways with any coordinates input receiving the message, "Address unknown. Terminating input" or something to that effect.

Ā 

For me this is a big loss and I hope they can get this working again as it was a strong plus in my purchasing decision as I do a lot of hiking. Hiking start points are often alongside a road and have no street address. There is a website TorontoHiking.com that has over 60 walks and hikes and the latitude/longitude is given for each hike trailhead so the loss on longitude/latitude is big for me. Hopefully this is temporary until they can get it working in a future update.

Ā 

When I complained to the Ford My Touch technical service, the rep said he had never heard that longitude/latitude didn't work. Seems more people need to complain about this if it's important to you.

Ā 

Fortunately I have a Garmin Nuvi which has all of these coordinates installed and the big plus is that you can program it attached to your computer. Wish there was a way to do that with MFT. The new Escape (yes I know this is an Edge forum but MFT is the same) has a nice flat platform above the nav display which is perfect for mounting the Nuvi. Still it seems a shame to have to do that with a brand new and much more expensive navigation system already in the car.

Ā 

I don't know about the lat and long input, but check out ProClipUSA for great GPS and phone mounts. I've used a few in various cars. A little pricey, but well worth the money. I sometimes mount my Nuvi next to MFT. My Nuvi responds to voice commands and every once in a while both systems respond to a command. Also, comical listening to each device provide turn directions. I find MFT's less chatting and forgiving if I decide to venture off a route.

I had my 3.5.1 installed the other day.

This version sounded promising. With people saying that dealerships had to install it before any new car left the lot. It must fix several issues... right?

Ā 

Before I took it in, I did a Master Reset.

After I picked it up, I did another Master Reset.

3.5.1 Master Reset seems to be a more hard core than previous versions. The system actually reboots and does the "performing maintenance...". I actually was concerned that I had bricked my system because the it took several minutes to come back to life. I wonder if the Reset will perform this way the next time or is this just a symptom of the first reset after the update.

Ā 

I'm told that my BT call quality is much better but I will test again while driving.

Ā 

I still have trouble with the voice recognition.

Ā 

Connection with phone seems to be quicker and BT Audio seems to start up quicker...however,

I had one instance of the random source selection. It started playing BT Audio then switched to FM for some reason.

Ā 

When I ordered this car in 2010, Ford was advertising all of the cool features of MFT. Among those features still not working are...

Contact photos

Text to speech

and where the heck is applink? It's been nearly 3 years since Ford teased me with that feature

Can any one confirm this? I just got the new software v3.5.1 on Thursday. So far nothing worth the time spent at the dealership to get it updated.

Ā 

Then today I went to get attached to my home AP and my passphrase is mostly alpha. And guess what, the keyboard is ghosted! WTF ?? Switch to number pad (active) then to the keyboard, then back to the number pad, now its ghosted !

Ā 

There are also visual issues like the glow of a lit button regardless if that function is selected is there.

Edited by Tacyon

"Market research, owner feedback, common sense." It is NOT common sense to remove direct input of GPS coordinates from a nav unit. That is core fiunctionality. You crushed my passion for it a few days ago & now another owner sees merit & you use commons sense as a reply. It was on page 2 & just sitting there not noticed to many so common sense dictacts that it didn't interfer with most and the few that wanted it more robust- got it removed rather that improved.

Ā 

Ā 

Per the Ford phone call I received on 12/3/12- GPS direct input was removed NOT due to any real issue. It worked. It was removed as part of the overall presentation to make the MFT/MLT system appear simpler to use to win back public confidence in the system as a whole.

So a feature already on page 2 was removed to make the system look pretty. It was removed because a simple novice/advanced button- not present in Nav- but IS present in the voice system was not added. Would that have been TOO MUCH TO ASK? I guess so. Really? Most things in life default to simple mode but give you an advanced mode with more stuff. Ford keeps taking away more stuff in-order to change the Public perception of the MFT that so many people complain about.

How about more novice & advanced features Please. Like the heated seat to come on prior to 32 degrees. As above the Nav- advanced mode. The Song & Artist. You gave us Voice novice/advanced. With some pulling of teeth you gave us Temp & Time as a selection. You took away the daylight savings selection- we will see in 6 mths if it works...

Edited by drpepper
  • Like 1

I can't believe you're still dinging Ford because YOUR cellphone provider chose not to support those profiles/features. Those features are available in MFT. Ford can't force cellphone providers to support it.

Bash Ford. You can add wallpaper photos but not phone contacts. You can delete a phone contact photo but can not add. The sync my phone app does not work with MFT. Several emails I have from

SYNC Architecture and Enterprise Engineering Information Technology Ford Motor Company explained that they were enhancing the Sync my phone app in an attempt to work with MFT & to include photos but then the project was back burnered over past year. then the emails became less frequent. My guess based on frequent email correspondence that then went silent is that there was an order to cut discussion. Just the the beta test program for the backup solution to a master reset. Sebveral of us received emails to participate & then it went dead.

Edited by drpepper
  • Like 1

"Market research, owner feedback, common sense." It is NOT common sense to remove direct input of GPS coordinates from a nav unit. That is core fiunctionality. You crushed my passion for it a few days ago & now another owner sees merit & you use commons sense as a reply. It was on page 2 & just sitting there not noticed to many so common sense dictacts that it didn't interfer with most and the few that wanted it more robust- got it removed rather that improved.

Ā 

Ā 

Per the Ford phone call I received on 12/3/12- GPS direct input was removed NOT due to any real issue. It worked. It was removed as part of the overall presentation to make the MFT/MLT system appear simpler to use to win back public confidence in the system as a whole.

So a feature already on page 2 was removed to make the system look pretty. It was removed because a simple novice/advanced button- not present in Nav- but IS present in the voice system was not added. Would that have been TOO MUCH TO ASK? I guess so. Really? Most things in life default to simple mode but give you an advanced mode with more stuff. Ford keeps taking away more stuff in-order to change the Public perception of the MFT that so many people complain about.

Ā 

Common Sense as in it's common sense that MOST vehicle navigation users do not use latitude/longitude coordinates for navigation. They use a street address. It's not a commonly used feature and features that aren't commonly used get removed all the time in regular software.

Ā 

I'm not saying it's not a useful feature - for the few that use it. But it's certainly not something that the vast majority of users will miss. By taking it out, it simplifies the code and reduces the amount of testing required for each release. Again - this is SOP for software development.

Bash Ford. You can add wallpaper photos but not phone contacts. You can delete a phone contact photo but can not add.

Ā 

MFT supports contact photos. It has been demonstrated to work with at least one new phone (by Wilson or wlepse - can't remember exactly but it was a new Windows phone) which proves that MFT supports that feature in its bluetooth implementation. But the phone also has to support it and Ford has NO control over that part. It takes two to tango.

I didn't say it did NOT work. We ALL Know some phones do work BUT most do not work. My post focused on the DELETE a phone picture is an option but the the ADD a phone picture functionality is not. I focused on the idea of separate import of pictures after the phone book download process that Ford has not completed as an option. You can add phone number contacts into MFT from other sources & have it work with your own phone but not pictures. Sync my phone app for example works with regular sync but not MFT. Outlook contacts can be used to get the phone numbers into the system sync & mft, another phone via BT push can add the phone numbers into sync & mft & then be used by another phone. The rub is picture should be an option of import as well but is not. A phone dependant feature is not a full stop. But ford is not devoting the time to allow these options to come to the release to the public point.

Edited by drpepper

Another reson for seperate import to complete an incomplete data field.

Just like the address in phone contacts that does not fully work for a nav destination. The option is there in MFT but the blaim of "phone dependant feature" is the fail safe for it not working. I thought I read the USA part of the address in apple is what makes it not work. SO a SOP in software code- write a script to allow the needed fields & iqnore the rest. Or have the option to edit the fields to shift it over. This occurs oustde of software ...for example basic Excel skills can combine or blow out characters so they appear in the correct row/columns dispite the source not being in the correct sectors. Electronic submissons of fininacial data., wire transfers, by different sourcers always needs tweaking to have each system send & receive correctly. We expect Ford to put same effort. Every master reset blows out the nav. data. & ford has no backup. They then say the data from the phone that is sitting there is non usable. They need more IT resources & smarter resources to achieve a more robust intergration.

• Like 1

MFT supports contact photos. It has been demonstrated to work with at least one new phone (by Wilson or wlepse - can't remember exactly but it was a new Windows phone) which proves that MFT supports that feature in its bluetooth implementation. But the phone also has to support it and Ford has NO control over that part. It takes two to tango.

Right. I did get a windows phone to work. I wonder what percentage of MFT owners have Windows phones. I bet it is a small minority.

Getting one phone to work with MFT and then marketing MFT as if the features were wide spread supported is not ethical.

Maybe Ford decided that most people didn't want the contact photos and abandoned the feature.

Another reson for seperate import to complete an incomplete data field.

Just like the address in phone contacts that does not fully work for a nav destination. The option is there in MFT but the blaim of "phone dependant feature" is the fail safe for it not working. I thought I read the USA part of the address in apple is what makes it not work. SO a SOP in software code- write a script to allow the needed fields & iqnore the rest. Or have the option to edit the fields to shift it over. This occurs oustde of software ...for example basic Excel skills can combine or blow out characters so they appear in the correct row/columns dispite the source not being in the correct sectors. Electronic submissons of fininacial data., wire transfers, by different sourcers always needs tweaking to have each system send & receive correctly. We expect Ford to put same effort. Every master reset blows out the nav. data. & ford has no backup. They then say the data from the phone that is sitting there is non usable. They need more IT resources & smarter resources to achieve a more robust intergration.

Great points Dr.

We can't use coordinates to nav because it wasn't popular or it was too complex. We can't seem to get street addresses from phone book to work either.

Ā 

Ford is just in over their head on this and are hoping MFT will just go away.

Common Sense as in it's common sense that MOST vehicle navigation users do not use latitude/longitude coordinates for navigation. They use a street address. It's not a commonly used feature and features that aren't commonly used get removed all the time in regular software.

Ā 

I'm not saying it's not a useful feature - for the few that use it. But it's certainly not something that the vast majority of users will miss. By taking it out, it simplifies the code and reduces the amount of testing required for each release. Again - this is SOP for software development.

I'm not sure how taking coordinates out simplifies anything. The lowest level of communicating with Nav is at the coordinate level. Give nav a street address and the system has to convert it to coordinates before it locates the spot on the map.