New My Ford Touch Software Released

I have AT&T You have to turn on the text to voice feature in the phone settings. The second time it hooked up it didn't work, so I turned it on again in settings. It then asked if I wanted to do it all the time in the future.

It has worked since.

OK great info. If only I had my S3 LOl Great phone but the IOS interface is far superior

Meanwhile others seem to have no problems. I still think you have flaky hardware. There are bugs that could cause phone sync problem so I'm not ruling that out but when you're talking about features that work fine for some phones and don't work for others it's pretty clear that's on the cell phone provider.

Ā 

It is not flaky hardware...been to two different dealers and they both say it is fine. Also it would make no sense for Ford to rewrite code to fix bad hardware. The exact issues I have been complaining about are what they have listed in the TSB attached in this thread. If anything it is underpowered hardware being asked to do way too much and that is the reason Ford keeps trimming back functionality. But the cost to replace everyones APIM with a decent processor and memory would be way too much.

Ā 

Ā 

Hello, when the phone works sometimes and others it doesn't this could be a result of high memory usage. I know closing apps sometimes doesn't help. I have a memory app that I need to use from time to time that frees up apps I have closed but memory doesn't get freed. Try looking into this

Ā 

I have a similar app but again it has nothing to do with the phone. As I mentioned in a previous post the phone(s) will connect fine to numerous other devices right after failing with the MFT. If it were a memeory issue on the phone side I would have issues with any device. Further, the recent behavior has been that when the phone doesn't connect and you go to the phone menu to force it, the connect button is grayed out like it is already connected. But if you try to use it through the system you can't. 50% of the time I can fix it by selecting another phone in the list, then going back to the other and magically the connect button is available. The other Half of the time the only thing I can do is shut down the car open/close the door and try again. This can't be a phone issue since the phone was never rebooted. Again I really this all ties back to what I mention above...this computer is way underpowered for the tasks at hand. As I recall the CPU is 400MHz with only 256MB of memory. Even the cheapest cell phones are beating this and they typically get bashed for not having enough resources or computing power. So why on earth would we expect a system that is tasked with more than a cheap cell phone to work better with less?

The 3.5 MFT/MLT is now available at SyncMyRide:

Ā 

Today, we are proud to announce the release of a new software update, available immediately for many SYNCĀ® with MyFord TouchĀ®/MyLincoln Touch ā„¢ systems. This new software will provide the following enhancements to your current system:

Ā 

ā€¢ Return of the outside air temperature to the 8 inch display

ā€¢ Updated phone pairing process

ā€¢ Enhanced voice and screen destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped)

ā€¢ Simplified voice commands for music

ā€¢ Enhancements to voice recognition

ā€¢ Updated SYNC/device compatibility

Ā 

Please note that the update is not yet available for MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch vehicles equipped with Navigation. For these vehicles, the software update requires a complimentary replacement SD card. We plan to have your replacement SD cards, as well as the new software update, ready for you in January. We will make an announcement in the forums when you are able to request your replacement SD card. Please be aware that if you perform the update without the replacement SD card in a Navigation-equipped vehicle, your Navigation system will be inoperable.

Ā 

If your vehicle is not equipped with SD Card Navigation, you can log in and check for updates now.

Ā 

We look forward to sharing an enhanced MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch experience with all of you.

It's not childish or unprofessional (not that professionalism is a requirement here). You're complaining about features that the vast majority of MFT owners don't use or care about.

Ā 

It sounds like you bought a $30K+ vehicle just because it could display contact photos and read text messages. Why is this such a deal breaker?

How can you be so informed and opinionated on the MFT? Are you an owner of a vehichle with MFT?

Ā 

I DID select the $40k Edge because of the promised tech. That is why it is such a deal breaker.

I'd agree the MT is far from perfect but at least Ford is making an effort to correct it as well as provide NAV users with free map updates and extend everyone's warranty on the system. Very few tech products are perfect but I like a company that puts forth an effort to fix their problems. Heck, too many cell phone companies just abandon bad models and say too bad, buy a new one. Having said that, my phone pairs just fine but whenever a call is made it is not useful (garbled audio). I'm pretty sure it's the bluetooth stack in my old Samsung phone so next time I get a phone, I'll test it in the car before agreeing to buy just to make sure it works as well as check the syncmyride site if they update their list.

I'd agree the MT is far from perfect but at least Ford is making an effort to correct it as well as provide NAV users with free map updates and extend everyone's warranty on the system. Very few tech products are perfect but I like a company that puts forth an effort to fix their problems. Heck, too many cell phone companies just abandon bad models and say too bad, buy a new one. Having said that, my phone pairs just fine but whenever a call is made it is not useful (garbled audio). I'm pretty sure it's the bluetooth stack in my old Samsung phone so next time I get a phone, I'll test it in the car before agreeing to buy just to make sure it works as well as check the syncmyride site if they update their list.

I agree with this to a point. But there are major differences. I might buy a phone and it could turn out to be crap. But if I decide to throw it out I am only out a few hundred dollars. That clearly isn't the case with the Edge. Also a huge problem is they have relied so heavily in the functioning of this system that hard button/knob controls are missing for things like HVAC. Last winter we had no heat or any control of the system....this is completely unacceptable and to me makes the mulfunctioning system much more of an issue than a phone that drops calls on occasion.

The phrase "hands on the wheel and eyes on the road" does not apply to My Ford Touch systems.

I still scare myself sometimes when I think about how much time my focus is on the MFT and trying to get it to work while driving.

I think that texting while driving is safer than trying to control MFT while driving.

...and don't tell me I should use voice control. It does not work for me. (first version worked better than this 3.5.1)

Voice control is worse with 3.5.1? Crap...that is one of the things that drives me crazy with the current system since it locks you out of most features while moving and the only access is through voice control. I was hoping since the TSB specifically mentioned that there was an improvement there actually would be. Still don't know why this is such an issue when my phone handles this task so much better. Granted the texting application gets a few things wrong but the nav is damn near perfect.

Voice control is improved IMO in this version, slightly. It never has had an issue with my wife, only my voice but it did better on the commands I've tried thus far since the latest update.

Ā 

"Also a huge problem is they have relied so heavily in the functioning of this system that hard button/knob controls are missing for things like HVAC. Last winter we had no heat or any control of the system"

Ā 

I'll agree the hard knobs missing was a mistake, 100%, but if your car had no heat control why not take it in for service and let the dealer replace your hardware? That is a warranty fix.

I have had very few problems.glitches with my MKX. Had a blank scxreen once, not long after I got the car. Pulled the battery cable, reconnected, and that solved the problem. I have not had any phone problems, from our old LG's to the iphones we now have. No problems with voice commands, one time I said "call Karitski", came back and said to pick line 1 or 2:

Line 1 - Karitski

Line 2 - Kaminski

I said "line 1", and it made the call. (Those darn Polish names sound too much alike)

Am now running version 3.5, and all is well, and never a problems with the microphone. Sorry for those of you that are having numerous problems, hopefully they can get resolved.

Joe

• Like 1

Voice control is improved IMO in this version, slightly. It never has had an issue with my wife, only my voice but it did better on the commands I've tried thus far since the latest update.

Ā 

I'll agree the hard knobs missing was a mistake, 100%, but if your car had no heat control why not take it in for service and let the dealer replace your hardware? That is a warranty fix.

Ā 

See this is the type of thing that scares me about this system. I think we started with 2.8 and had some issues but nothing compared to 2.11. But that version seemed to run so well for so many other people. Then the rewrite was better for a while but now the gremlins are back. But voice controls have been crap on every version, but we also have a lot of background noise on calls so maybe this affects the systems ability to determine what is said.

Ā 

As for taking it in...did that...was told there was nothing more they could do and we should wait for the rewrite. Even discussed the issue with the regional customer service manager. He basically said the same thing...nothing they can do so just wait. If it were my vehicle it wouldn't be a huge deal as I can figure out which fuse to pull or pull the battery cables. But since this is the wifes ride and she is carting our then 1 yo it wasn't an option for her to try to deal with this. So some days she just couldn't go anywhere if it were too cold out.

Why did you not pursue a lemon law for the vehicle? If the regional manager is unwilling to address the problem then you should have repeatedly taken it to the dealer and asked them to keep it until properly repaired. After 2 attempts or 20 days out of service you then send a certified letter to Ford HQ at which point they are notified of a final attempt at repair. If they are unsuccessful you can pursue a replacement/refund. I can certainly appreciate your frustration as I have been through the process with a different vehicle (not Ford) but there's no reason to accept a faulty product when obviously others are not having this issue.

Nothing really productive to add but I have to say I feel really bad for the group of you that continue to have issues with MFT and seem to bicker about it here constantly. Maybe it's time to cut your losses and move on to a different vehicle and infotainment system.

Ā 

Personally I will be staying with the current version... The one that came in the mail earlier this year. I don't experience any issues and never have plus I don't see much of value in the newest release. My feeling is it's one of the best systems out there and I sure will miss the functionality if I decide to go with the GLK 350 or FX35 next year instead of the MKX.

That sucks about the LAT and LONG feature has been removed. I had a Garmin Nuvi GPS and decided to get the Garmin app for my phone, I had to find the file within the Garmin Nuvi that had the LAT and LONG and was able to manually add them into the Garmin app. This is great, I went on Vacation this summer and used the app GPS LAT and LONG worked perfectly. If they ever do add the feature back, they should also add a backup config settings to USB, as each new release will likely wipe them out. I traded my 08 Edge Limited for 13 Edge Limited pick it up tomorrow so I haven't had the chance to navigate the interface.

It is not flaky hardware...been to two different dealers and they both say it is fine. Also it would make no sense for Ford to rewrite code to fix bad hardware

Ā 

Many MFT owners had their APIMs replaced for similar symptoms and at least one had the same problems with the replacement APIM. The 3rd one worked like a charm. And I never said there weren't ALSO software problems. I just think you have a flaky APIM to go along with the flaky software and that's why you continue to have problems when most everyone else isn't.

Ā 

How can you be so informed and opinionated on the MFT? Are you an owner of a vehichle with MFT?

Ā 

I DID select the $40k Edge because of the promised tech. That is why it is such a deal breaker.

Ā 

2012 Focus w/MFT. Purchased December 2011. Satisfied?

Ā 

So you don't want to pay a few hundred bucks for a new cell phone but you paid $40K for a new Edge because it had smartphone like features? Good grief.....

Akirby...just to be fair. As I have mentioned this system has been checked out by two different dealers. Both said the system, APIM included were functioning fine. I do not know if they have actual diagnostics they can run or if Ford just won't authorize the replacement again. I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes. But with that said, the TSB calls out most of the issues I have and have had for some time. I sincerely hope Ford's fix is not to try to cover up hardware problems by rewriting code. So I have to believe they are approaching the problem correctly and they know it is software based not hardware. The only hardware issue I could see if there is a board component that varies a bit and they are having issues finding a driver that can cover the range of these bits. That could explain how some versions of the code run so well for some and so poorly for others.

Ā 

To you point of just buying a new phone for a few hundred....I would do this in a heart beat if it would fix the problems. Problem is there is NO consensus on what does work well. The phone I am currently using supports text messaging but pairing to the system is a crap shoot lately. 3 months ago pairing happened everytime and often before the car was back in drive. So why would anyone spend more money trying to patch this system when its stability with the same components varies so wildly over time?

I just picked up my '11 Edge for the 5th time to have my disappearing Sirius stations fixed. Every time I'm told the next software update will cure it. This time around they said they would replace the APIM but I see on the paperwork it says reprogrammed

Guess what? It didn't work It's going back yet again. At least they always give me a loaner

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Got my update today with new nav card. Phones paired easily, so far all ok. Had my 2nd oil change/tire rotation, so they did the update, too.

I've read a bunch of reviews of unsuccessfully updating the software for Ford SYNC. My experience was successful -

1. I sent away for the new/upgraded SD card for the NAV.
  2. Once I received that, I went to Ford site to get the s/w update, and loaded that onto a (brand new) USB device
  3. Started the car, turned the radio on/volume low and inserted the USB device (FYI my old SD card was still in its slot in the car at this point)
  4. Went to the Settings tool, selected System then Install app. At displayed message I pressed OK
  5. The install process began. There was some screens blanking and going through install. IMPORTANT: let it go, it did take quite a while
    • Several service packs were installed (one with 11 updates, one with 10, 6 and 4). Progress bars displayed a line/block as updates continued to be loaded
    • Between each install, I'd see the screen blank out, or SYNC by Microsoft screen appeared. or the home screen displayed
  6. Throughout all this, our car was running. We actually took a drive and there was no apparent interruption in the s/w update progress.
  7. Finally after a long time (upwards of 20-30 minutes) we eventually saw a screen with the update message, which was also voice repeated. At that point, we pressed OK and noticed that the background screen still showed a s/w update screen doing 4 of 4.
  8. This was followed by an Installation Complete, we pressed OK.
  9. Removed the USB device
  10. Installed the new SD card for the Nav (A4 is our update) that I previously received by mail
  11. Took the USB back to home computer and completed the s/w installation update at the Ford site by "confirming" it.

Best advice I can give is BE Patient, it seems to take an awful long time for the .cab and .zip files to load while you're in the car.

Ā 

Edited by Escape2013tk

Obviously you guys expect way more from an in-car infotainment system than the average buyer and you're never going to be happy with it until you can write your own code and run your own apps. I don't see how Ford could possibly satisfy you.

Ā 

They could satisfy me by making a navigation system that knows how to navigate -and that means recognizing coordinates! If everything is aimed at the "average" user, is that why MFT gets no better than average reviews? There is a lot of good in MFT but it has a ways to go before anyone could call it "very good" or "excellent" and that's what I'd like to call it for my sake and that of Ford in selling more cars.