Color Choice

oskar27

I plan to place an order for a 2013 EcoBoost Edge Ltd in either white platinum metallic tri-coat with the Sienna seating or Kodiac brown metallic with the light stone seats.

Problem is that both local dealers in my area don’t have either of the above colors in stock neither have any other Ford car with these colors. All their Edge cars have black interiors and the exterior is all colors but the ones I prefer

How do you decide which color you prefer to invest $40K+ without seen the actual vehicles?

Is the dealer obliged to search inventory and bring a vehicle from another province (state)?

Dealer will most likely not make arrangements for you to bring specific colored vehicles for your review. They would probably have to do dealer trades for the cars you want to look at and you would have to purchase the car they are trading for you.

If your dealerships don't have the colors on other Ford cars on their lots, you'll have to travel to other dealerships to take a look. Either that or take notice of the colors you are interested in on the roads.

We're currently waiting for our Platinum white Edge to arrive after placing our order. We saw enough of them on the road to know that white was the color we wanted. Wife originally wanted dark gray but they discontinued that color at the end of 2010 I believe. Her next color choice was silver but I then turned her onto the white color and she fell in love after taking notice of them on the road. White is tougher to keep clean but it looks very classy, but at the same time, sporty on the Edge.

We went with the black interior as that won't show dirt as much as the lighter colors. The sandstone was nice but the dashboard and steering wheel are also lighter in color which didn't look that great to me. If the dashboard and steering wheel were black and could be paired with the sandstone I may have went that route but that wasn't an option. Another positive for black was that we have 2 young kids and black will clean up easier and hide anything they leave behind.

White exterior and black interior looks very nice in our opinion. I can tell you that we did see a dark brown interior on an Edge at our dealership which may be that Sienna color you referenced. My wife test drove an Edge with that color interior and she came home to tell me that she drove an Edge with the ugliest interior ever and didn't understand why Ford thought that was a good color. I saw that color interior when I placed our order a few weeks later and I can tell you it was indeed ugly (in my opinion). It might not be bad if the entire seating surface was done in the dark brown color but I remember the sides of the seat and maybe even the backs are black. When you open the front doors, you see a 2-tone seat, black and dark brown which doesn't look good to us.

Good luck with your decision.

Mark

We went with the black interior as that won't show dirt as much as the lighter colors.

Actually a black interior will show trash and other particles much more than a light color. Black is harder to keep clean. I'm planning to order a Ruby Red with black interior anyway as I'm tired of light colored interiors.

Thank you all for the info.

You are right Mark; I now remember that my dealer said something like bring a car from another dealer which I have to purchase after and told him that doesn’t sound good to me. So bottom line is its going to be a hard choice to make to order a car that I have not seen before and trust to luck that I will like it.

In my town I haven't seen many Edges and the ones I have seen are silver, grey or black and all have black interior. The closest big town is about 100 miles away and I plan to ask my dealer now to see if any dealer over there has my colors and if yes I don’t mind to take a drive over there and have a look.

akirby the ruby red was in my list at the beginning but now I have drop it like I did the ginger ale, it’s a matter of taste, that’s all.

It’s a good idea Road Dog the paint shop. Remember years ago when I went for a repaint job the guy had a big book like an album and each page was a glossy sample of various colors. I will give it a try

Perhaps in January the dealers here may bring some new Edge and hopefully one with my color. If not, it will be a very tough decision to make and perhaps don’t even purchase one.

As someone that has a 2012 white platinum tri-coat with the sienna brown interior, I may be a bit marginally biased, but I think it's the best looking color combinations out there. I had seen the combination on a dealer lot long before I made the decision to buy one. When I finally bought, that was the only one I would consider. The dealer didn't have any, and had to trade with with another dealer about 150 miles away.

Regarding the comment about the black accents, there are black accents in the interior, such as part of the door panels, the dash, and maybe some other trim pieces, but none on the seats.

Hey MurphieNB good info and if I was going to get the white I would also have gotten the sienna. Problem is that you were lucky to see one before you bought it where I'm at dark

Any chance of posting some pics of your interior? Are the seats all sienna or just the seating surface and where your back is?

I'm not here to knock on anyones personal choices for either exterior or interior color choices. I know black will show more loose particles like my kid's pretzel crumbs, goldfish pieces and dry cereal bits due to contrast but my concern is more about scuffs and stains. My wife's current car has gray leather and after 170,000 miles it still looks great but doesn't look as clean as it should. I condition and clean it very often and manage to get a lot of filth off but when finished it still looks a little dingy and no matter how hard I scrub while cleaning and conditioning, it doesn't have that new and clean look. The black leather is going to hide mild scuffs and staining much better than the lighter colors and why we are migrating away from a light color to black. I've only had black interiors in all my cars since I was 17 and want to continue that tradition.

When we bought our Redline Vue 9 years ago, the only leather option was gray so we had to go with it. My wife ruled out the new Acura RDX because you can only get a beige interior with the white exterior so we went with the Edge since black was an option.

As for the Sienna interior, I'm not sure if there are any variations based on the exterior you choose but we looked at a white Edge and it had a 2 tone interior. I just searched "Ford Edge Sienna Interior" and found another white Edge and it also has a 2 tone interior. Murphie says his isn't 2 tone but as you can see by the attached photos, the 2 tone Sienna interior does exist in the wild. The dealership that has this Edge listed for sale has the attached photos labeled and you can see it is a White Platinum Edge in Limited trim. When you open the doors you are greeted by dark brown seating surfaces but the sides of the seats and the backs are black.

In my opinion, this is not an attractive combination and just doesn't make sense. I love a well done 2 tone interior like seen on the Sports or SEL appearance where you have suede inserts of a slightly different color for a bit of contrast and the rest of the seats and seat backs are consistent but how Ford split the color differences on the seats combined with the white exterior ruins it for me.

You all can make your own decisions based on the photos of the Sienna interior and I would like to know if there are different variations because I saw a white Edge with 2 tone (which I believe was a Limited model), posted a white Edge with 2 tone (also a Limited model) but Murphie says his isn't. Maybe the Sienna differs in trim levels if it isn't based on exterior color. Maybe the Limited models are 2 tone and the SEL models are solid brown?

Murphie, please let us know your trim level and if you can post a few pics of your interior that would be great.

Mark

post-25091-0-50824300-1356970537_thumb.jpg

post-25091-0-78839600-1356970538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark94

Could also be grade of leather between manufactures as well. I can't say we've been gentile with the car since buying it either. I've used the truck to haul every bit and piece I needed to finish my basement and I was constantly sliding construction materials in and out of the truck, folding the seats down daily (fold flat passenger seat was unbelievably helpful). All my plants and shrubs were transported for my landscaping projects and my kids have a 2 hour drive each day to daycare and back with my wife. With an hour drive each way, you have to give kids things to eat and drink to keep them happy AND the wife sane.

I've already been prepping the kids and wife that no one eats or drinks in the Edge when it arrives...

Thank you Mark for the pics, now I know for sure I will not get the sienna interior because I dont like the combination of brown / black. No offence guys, this is just a matter of taste

I hope someone can post some pics of the medium light stone leather but if not I will take my chances on that interior. Somehow I believe in that interior the entire seat is the same color including the front center arm rest from some pics I have seen on the web but they were not clear

Have you checked any other dealers in the area? Might be worth a drive.

I had an easy choice. My dealer gave me a 2012 Edge to test drive for the weekend with the colours I wanted before I ordered my 2013. Only thing I didn't realize when I ordered the black exterior was that it's metallic on the 13. Picked up my edge on a cloudy day so didn't really notice until the next sunny day.

I bought my Kodiak Brown Edge without seeing it in person. I have some pictures posted in the Welcome Forum Section. Just look up by date below. I have gotten many complements especially when the sun shines, then the color really pops!

Updated Edge Pictures

Started by jak508, Apr 07 2012 09:27 AM
Edited by jak508

My apologies, my Sienna Brown interior is in fact two tone. :doh: When I saw this post yesterday, I honestly didn't remember that it was two tone. I had to go look this morning, and it's exactly as in the pictures that Mark has posted. But with the other trim pieces that are also in black, I guess I just don't see the contrast as being that much of a distraction. FWIW, I've gotten tons of compliments on the overall color combination.

Ford/Lincoln dealership locator & inventory search, by state/city or province/city: USA Ford; USA Lincoln; Canada Ford & Lincoln English Francais.

Regarding interior/exterior colors: Canyon premium package leather seats in the MKX are a reddish saddle tan on front, back, and sides, with black accent piping. This interior is offered with White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat.

2013 MKX Brochure.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1