Ford OEM Rear Bumper Protector Help

Mark94

Hi all,

Just received this part and it's pretty thin. Instructions just say apply it like a sticker and then squeeze out trapped air bubbles from underneath. I'm thinking this won't produce a nice result and I'll have a lot of ugly trapped air underneath.

Has anyone done this and what was your process?

I'm thinking I should apply like window tint and use a soapy water solution, get it exactly where it needs to be and then squeeze out the water from underneath.

Hoepfully someone has installed this and can provide a little help.

Thanks!

Mark

Yeah it is thin but it will provide some protection. It's the wife's car and I'm not too concerned with heavy items because I lift those types of things. She's just doing groceries and the kid's stuff so I'm not that concerned with that tiny edge either. Don't have dogs to jump in and out of the trunk area.

Baby shampoo... Huh. Never heard of that. I've got some kids shampoo but not a Johnson and Johnson no tear shampoo.

I've applied xpel clear film on some if my other cars and I've always used diluted soapy water to get it situated and then started squeegeeing. May just stick with that mixture to get this bumper protector on.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about with this. I simply lined it up and started on one side of the bumper removing the adhesive backing. Then I would slowly remove the adhesive backing while smoothing the top side with a large microfiber cloth all the way to the other side of the bumper. There wasn't a single bubble throughout the process. The cover is slightly off-center front-to-back on the bumper by a fraction of an inch on one side, but that is due to me not taking enough care in lining it up properly. When the weather gets warmer I am going to try hitting it with a blow-dryer or heat gun and see if I can slide it around a bit.

Did this today. Prepped by clay baring first then i gave a couple good scrubs with alcohol. Used shampoo like dingo recommended and completely soaked the area with the soapy solution, peeled the backer and placed the protector on the bumper. I was able to slide it exactly where it needed to go and then used a squeegee to push out all the water. Looks great and wife likes it too.

I didn't even notice that the tiny pattern is actually the word "EDGE" over and over again.

I'm happy with it and not a bubble anywhere.

Thanks man. Most of the time, I'm entertained by your posts. :)

Appreciate the help with this. Worked just like it does when I use my soapy water solution for clear bra film or window tint but if you tell me the shampoo evaporates compared to dish detergent, I'll take your word for it.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Guess I should have read this first. I followed the instructions and found air bubbles when I pulled the paper off the top. Ended up lifting the rubber off the bumper from the middle of each side and reapplying the plastic part so I think I ended up with no bubbles.

It looks nice, but for a musician like me, it does NOT offer much real protection. If you're going to charge that kind of money for that chintzy a part (that the user has to then install), at least make it cover the entire thickness of the bumper. I'm off to find some moving blanket material to put over the bumper during loading and unloading.

post-31004-0-11345400-1403466620_thumb.jpg

post-31004-0-92467400-1403466639_thumb.jpg

post-31004-0-94078600-1403466657_thumb.jpg

post-31004-0-14500600-1403466677_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...