Dead Battery

Xcessive Carts

Thanks Omar -- we will check that out and see if we can find it in our 500 plus page owners manual - obviously we missed that info.

So did you check the prior posts made by owner's, some of whom were able to find the cause of their battery draining? One was the Park shifter mechanism not giving a signal to a module that the car was in Park. This allowed a module to remain active and not shut off, resulting in the battery run down.

There were a few other answers and suggestions in the 5 pages of posts that you added your post to.

Thanks Omar -- we will check that out and see if we can find it in our 500 plus page owners manual - obviously we missed that info.

It is in pages 192-193 of the owners manual under the "Transmission" section. You could also easily find it from the Index under "T - Transmission". I attached a copy of pages 192-193. A PDF copy of the manual can be downloaded from Ford's site for easy access.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePageVehicleLookup&BackToLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=67673206

13edgom3e_Page_192-193.pdf

• Like 1

Do you know the actual production date of your Edge, ejdcjd? If it was produced in 2012, very possible the battery has just aged from non-use. Plus if it gets very hot/cold in your area, that's even more stress on the battery if not properly exercised on a regular basis.

Look up your info by VIN here:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

• 7 months later...

What is sad about this, is there is obviously and issue. I am having the same issue now. May 2013 for edge special order. Earlier in the 2014 I had this warning a couple times and it went away. Now today it is doing it again. I just picked it up from the Dealer for a recall issue and they didn't say anything about when I picked it up. A battery should be lasting much longer. I have never replaced a battery early than 4 years and have went as long as 7 years in one of my vehicles. The vehicle is only a little over 1.5 years old!

Edited by budfrogs

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm back and not real happy about it.

Our battery issues continue. We hadn't had a problem since last February, after the software update and another battery replacement, until a month ago when the battery saver warning returned. Dealer service checked it out and couldn't find anything. Then yesterday, we got it again, followed by a low battery warning. I talked with and emailed the service manager, as I couldn't bring it in yesterday because of work I needed to do, but wanted to get it on record.

I also called the dealership owner yesterday. Last February, after she had originally promised a swap, she asked us to take the car back since they thought they had fixed it, but she promised if it happened one more time, she would make a trade out happen. I told her what was going on and that has indeed happened 2 more times. She said they would work on a trade out. I will be bugging them today to escalate.

I haven't filed a case with Ford at this point or pursued Lemon Law legal representation, and will be giving them a chance to make it good and make it good fast. We surely qualify for Lemon Law in New York State, as this time is the 6th time this has happened and hasn't been fixed. The first time happened 6 weeks after purchase of our 2013 Edge SEL.

If we don't see movement on their end today, I will contact Ford.

We are somewhat concerned about getting another Edge or Ford, but hopefully lightning won't strike twice.

I can't believe we are going through this again! So frustrating to buy a new car to avoid issues and have nothing but issues!

So, to Todd (see below from last year) ... the issues ARE continuing.

The forum isn't letting me send you a PM. The case # was CAS-3954067. I believe they closed it out because of the software update and because they couldn't find any other problems. If it happens again, I guess we have to open another case.

Hi Wendy Shinyo Haylett,

I read the notes from the case you provided, and the case was indeed closed on the 17th. To clarify, the concerns are still occurring?

Todd

Have you tried taking the Edge to another dealer or a Lincoln dealership? They may have better diagnositcs that will find the actual problem and get it fixed. Could be this Edge is a lemon, could be that the servicepersons looking at it so far haven't paid enough attention. Just a thought.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

No, we haven't taken the Edge to another dealership. They have communicated with Ford Engineers, tested for multiple days, etc., etc.

I do have an update, though - sort of. I called our salesperson today to see if he knew anything. The dealership owner told us yesterday to contact him to start working numbers, so he was sort of in the loop. He hadn't heard anything from the owner (and neither have we), but he starts the same song and dance about us not driving the car enough to properly charge it.

We've gotten this numerous times and it is not only insulting, but ridiculous. I don't seem to recall any disclaimer written on the car when we bought it about having to drive so many miles a week for the car to work.

I'm not ignorant. I realize that the new cars with all the electronics and computers are a different beast altogether, but we had Jeep after Jeep (Grand Cherokee) driving the same number of miles, with the same town driving pattern, and never once had a low battery issue. There is no reason we should drive 50 miles on a joy ride in the winter to properly charge the car before going to the corner store. Really???

I have never been so frustrated. The dealership owner did the same thing to us last year, promising to swap the car, then saying she couldn't because it would be a loss their dealership (what about my lost work?) ... then telling us to take the car back, but if it happened again she'd take it back. Well, it's starting to look like they're going to yank us again, based on the way the salesperson was talking.

We have decide we now need to reach out to a law firm to start Lemon Law proceedings and not wait around for them to make the right decision. And right now, the way we feel, I think we would pursue getting our money back so we can go buy a Jeep.

Meanwhile we have a car in the driveway that has a low battery and may not start and neither one of us want to drive it.

I cannot believe these dealers have the gall to tell you you don't drive enough.

Wendy,

Answered your message. I would strongly encourage you to investigate what steps you need to take in your state for the Lemon law process. In nj I was required to send ford a letter giving them 10 days to fix it once and for all or I would proceed with a lemon law claim. I did this on my own using the states guidelines for the letter. They then attempted 4 or 5 more times to fix it with no luck. Ford still would not give me a new one. I spoke with a major lemon law attorney ( who I'm sure ford knows) and explained the issue. Lawyer told me case in an easy win and they do it for free because ford has to pay my legal fees if I win. Once I told ford the lawers name and they would be contacting them, I was given approval for a new ford and would only pay if the sticker on the new one was higher. Ended up paying $210.00 for a new one.

I would encourage you to find out what you need to do in your state and start the process. They dealer can only do so much and no matter how good they are or want to help you, the issue is fords and it's their product.

I thought ford would do the right thing for me but at the end of they day they only responded to threatened legal action. I give them no credit in my matter to help a customer who has bought over 12 fords in 20 years. I shouldn't have been put thru their constant denial process when I spent over 40k for their product and it was well documented to the issues,and thier field engineer spent 40 hours in the dealership and was unable to fix it.

They only respond to legal action.

Good luck and I hpoe you get a resolution soon

• Like 2

Well, I'm back and not real happy about it.

Our battery issues continue. We hadn't had a problem since last February, after the software update and another battery replacement, until a month ago when the battery saver warning returned. Dealer service checked it out and couldn't find anything. Then yesterday, we got it again, followed by a low battery warning. I talked with and emailed the service manager, as I couldn't bring it in yesterday because of work I needed to do, but wanted to get it on record...

Have you tried taking the Edge to another dealer or a Lincoln dealership?...

I second trying another dealer...

Hello Wendy Shinyo Haylett,

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. What’s the current mileage?

I agree with WWWPerfA_ZN0W and akirby. Taking your Edge to another Ford Dealer to seek a second opinion is a great suggestion.

Tricia

Thanks for your story, Scott. Happy to hear your issue was finally resolved.

Tricia: Mileage is approx. 4,500. Can't look at the odometer now, since the car is in service at the dealer now. Again, for the 6th time.

Wendy Shinyo Haylett,

Let me get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist!

Tricia

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wendy and others, having been through the Ford Lemon system before don't expect them to do anything fast, if at all. I'd highly suggest documenting EVERYTHING they tell you as it "may" change in their memory later on (not to your benefit of course). The minute they hit the lemon law requirements in your state FILE as it will take considerable time/effort to get to a resolution.

My particular case had 3 different visits from Ford "engineers" all who said to me either it was fixed or they couldn't figure it out. Needless to say that's not what they told Ford.

It's my opinion Ford could care less about customer service or customer satisfaction once you plunk your money down and if you're unlucky enough to have a reoccurring issue it turns into a game of "how to make the customer give up and go away or think it's their fault".

Good luck to you all, I hope as a 2013 Edge owner I'm not destined to be in your shoes... B)

• Like 2

Same problem, same exact problem with a similar forum posting listed under "2012 Ford Edge dead battery." Got a new battery on Thursday last week and it was dead today. I find it hard to believe that Ford isn't on top of this.

Have you been back to your dealer to have this looked at? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge that goes dead about every 3 days (about 50K miles). The first time it went dead, it was on a Sunday so Ford was closed and I took the battery to Auto Zone. They did a full charge on the battery then tested it, and it turns out the battery was fine, just dead. I put the charged battery back in the car and I was good to go, or so I thought. 5 days later the car was dead. I jumped it and took it to my Ford Dealer. I explained the issue, emphasizing that the battery had been tested and had a 'good' result, therefore I was concerned something else was going on. The next day Ford called to tell me they fixed my car, all I needed was a new battery. Clearly, I was not very confident in this resolution because 1 week ago I was told my battery was fine. I paid for the battery and left. A week later, my car was dead again (I KNEW it wasn't just the battery!). So I took my car back to Ford, where they tested the battery and were able to tell me the battery was good. No shit - its brand new! I told them to keep the car over the weekend. Sure enough, it was dead on Monday. It is now Thursday and they have no idea what is causing the battery to die. They keep telling me I can take it home, but what am I supposed to do with it? Let it die in my garage? It AMAZES me that this cannot be diagnosed and fixed other than just witnessing the problem.

Can anyone tell me if their situation was fixed, and if so, what was done? I am about ready to take my car to another dealer (tomorrow dealer 1 will have had it for over 1 week without offering up a dealer car or anything to accommodate the situation and I have no confidence that they are proactively fixing the issue since they are unable to diagnose it).

Help/insight would be greatly appreciated! This is so extremely frustrating to have a broken car that even the dealer cannot fix.... and seeing as there is a whole message board, it is equally frustrating that Ford is not addressing this issue internally.

Edited by marissa1082