2013 limited awd mileage sucks

binki

We have a 2013 Edge LTD fwd w/ v-6. Had 700 + mils on it mostly local round town and could see as it got higher in mileage it was going up.

Took a road trip recently from Jersey to the Keys and back. Left at about 800 miles. On way down mpg was different on each tank based on speed we were

traveling. A lot of 70+, some stop and go in Northern Virginia. Early mileage was running 21, 22. Overall down was 23.2. Now trip home it again increased.

Actually had it getting 26+ and did hit the 27 figure for a while coming up out of the Keys doing 60 65 mph. The rest of the way home we were running 70, 75

and hit 80 for a while. Yeah I know it was fast but traffic was even faster at times. So what I'm saying overall on way home it averaged 25.3. Seems to get better

as mentioned. Hoping to see the 19 round town and would be good with 25, 26 on highway. No complaints so far. Well maybe would like a bigger fuel tank. Less

fuel stops. smh

• 1 month later...

We got a FWD. Averageing 24MPG now. Not much city driving. We live in the county so county roads and two lane highways. Weather has warmed up. I don't check the mileage in cold weather. Takes more power/fuel to get cold parts moving. I know when we first got ours I played with the gadgets while idling that sure knocks the heck out of the average. I leave ours on instant mileage most of the time. Have to see what happens this summer when we take a road trip. I sold a 2004 Ford Freestar minivan when I bought the edge. It averaged 23.8 / 24.3 on every trip we took. Sure want the edge to do better than that..

Larry

Northern,In

As I said above getting 24mpg. Actually 24.5 over 2300 miles. I usually fuel up at our local Kroger store/ gas station. I got a bad tank of gas ( less octane I assume ) two tanks ago, dropped to 24.2 average, couldn't get more than 22mpg on instant mpg's. on that tank. Hard to say what left over gas kroger gets for it's station. Trucks that dump are not labeled as major companies. Since I've gotten better gas average back up to 24.5. I'm not impressed at all with the mpg. But it's getting what's advertised according to my driving.

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

binki - chill .. at <10,000 miles you're still wet behind the ears ... as someone else said .. I wouldn't worry about it till you get out above 10,000 miles and drive a tank or two like a gentleman. And really, what are you going to do about it? The second you drive off the lot its yours. It'd be a very rare set of circumstances that would allow you to return your vehicle even with only 3-5 days on it. If you can't affect it .. don't sweat it. You'll live longer.

A good idea too late. I learned a good idea as the last research test before purchasing a car .. rent it for a two week trial. I was able to find a rental place that had the approximate hardware loadout that I was looking at then rented one for a week. Of course, I was smitten by the Edge and I was GOING to have mine and like :wub: it.

Edited by Tacyon
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

3.5L AWD/FWD? Doing good for this early on. May take up to 20,000 mi to reach rated mpg. Assuming your trips are not "extreme" (a lot of traffic, stop and go). Look at it this way, you are getting as good a mileage as a 2013 X5 already before breakin is complete!

Its the 3.5L AWD. During the week, I drive to and from train station located less than 2 miles from me and to and from gym. That's it. About 20 miles during the work week. Weekends I'll take it on the highway.

AWDs get 1-2 mpg's less than FWD's. If you keep the Edge out of the weather, then that will help your mpg's. The trips are too short to properly warm up the engine AND take advantage of the efficiency. I commuted to the bust station just like you to the train station, for years, and got penalized as a result :drop: In the ye olde days, they said that short trips like this are also hard on the engine, don't know if that still holds true with modern engine management tech & modern lubricants. Taking it easy on the gas on short trips helps too ;)

I'm getting about 19-20 on my 2013 Edge AWD Limited with about 3500 miles. It does seem to be slowly improving. It's a big improvement from the 12 mpg (on the recommended premium fuel!) I got in my 2010 Toyota Land Cruiser, so I'm a pretty happy camper. It actually seems pretty good considering most of my driving is city or stop-and-go freeway traffic. On a 400 mile highway trip right after I bought it, I saw 24 mpg.

• 2 weeks later...

I reset mine whenever I fill the tank..which hasn't been much as I only have 1050 miles on mine. I'm getting about 23-24 overall...but I did have a 200 mile trip last weekend where I got 28 :)

2.0L Ecoboost LImited here.

I'm taking a 2800 mile round trip from Minnesota to Tennessee and North Carolina in two weeks. I bought the FWD Ecoboost for a reason and I'm hoping for 28+ on it...with the cruise set.

Considering I got 28 on my short 200 mile trip I'm guessing it shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

I'm from MN too, Twin Cities area. Make sure to take a drive on the Cherohala Skyway if you can. Also the tail of the dragon is a cool drive (US129). If you like classic cars, Floyd Garrets muscle car museum is in Seiverville, just a few miles from Pigeon Forge.

We go down there every year for a week and ride motorcycles all over western NC. I would move there in a heartbeat.

I'm staying for 3 days in the Smoky Mountains, coming from Minnesota. Just need to get away from the office for a few days! Staying in Pigeon Forge.

Then I'm heading to Pinehurst, NC to visit a relative and stay for a day or two before starting home.

You have to eat at the Apple Barn/Applewood family restaurant. They're behind Tony Roma's across the stream where Pigeon Forge turns into Sevierville. Best fried chicken and apple fritters ever!

Thanks for the trip tips!! I'm staying in Pigeon Forge for 2 nights...17th, 18th of November.

I'm planning on a few great food stops on the way down on Nov. 16th. I'll definitely look up those places...thanks!

And Hi flyinlow007...! I'm from down in Faribault. Sooo..not too far away.

Edited by unxpctd

I have a 2012 Edge limited with the V6 engine. It has ~8500 miles on it. I have never reset the second trip meter on it and for the lifetime of the vehicle, it is getting just under 15 mpg. That's when I'm babying it. When not, I get about 14 mpg. To me, this is horrible gas mileage. I see others getting 20 mpg plus with this car/engine combination. I mentioned the bad gas mileage at the dealership and they said that the mileage listed on the sticker was under controlled conditions. I understand that they do tests in the best conditions/driving methods to get the maximum mpg for the sticker, but I shouldn't be getting this bad of gas mileage, especially when I have tried very hard not to be heavy footed. Can anyone give me suggestions on what to do? I'm very frustrated with the gas mileage of the car.

First off don't trust only the dash readout. Reset the trip, fill it up, drive a tank then fill it up again. Divide the mileage by how many gallons you put in.

Thats where I would start.

Second make sure you have a clean air filter. Not that it makes that much of a difference but sometimes its the small things.

Do you have All Wheel Drive?

I drive a 2008 Explorer with a V6 for my work vehicle. I get about 13-15mpg on average. Closer to 18-20 on the highway...22 if I'm really light on it.