2013 limited awd mileage sucks

binki

How new is your 2013 Limited? That's what I was getting when I first got my Edge Limited 3.5 AWD and I almost died when I saw it. Before my first fillup I was seeing 13, then it inched up to 14, then 15 by the time I had to fill for the first time. My tank readings (not cumulative lifetime readfings) for the next 4 fillups were 18, 18.8, 20.0, and 25.6 (the latter being comprised of a lot of highway miles). Then it settled down to 20-21 with my normal around-town driving routine. I now have about 6,000 miles on mine and I'm getting 20.2 as a "lifetime" average so far and that's been pretty stable for the last few months. Not great, but then again I do mostly all around town driving with very little highway miles, and the weather has been generally cold in the 6 months that I've had the car and I'd imagine that will affect mileage too. Most people with a mix of highway and city are reporting better than what I'm getting, but their conditions are probably more favorable than mine.

Very early on I was doing a lot of idling in the driveway as I tried to learn the features of the car, and keep in mind that when averaging your fuel against your miles the amount of time spent idling is a big percent of run time. So when you're sitting still (0 MPG) it brings down the calculation pretty quickly. But when you get more miles on the car, that driveway idle time is spread over more miles traveled, and therefore will have less impact. When I was just sitting in the driveway idling I could literally see the MPG reading go down about 2 or 3 tenths of a mile in one sitting (I think I was programming in NAV points or upgrading Synch so I was out there idling for maybe 45 minutes or an hour at a clip). So if your Edge is new, give it a little while and you'll see things improve a lot from what you're seeing now. Don't pay much attention to the early readings.

If your Edge isn't brand new, then I'd suggest getting it back to your dealer because something isn't right.

BTW, some people have questionned the accuracy of the MPG dash reading, but I find it's really close on my Edge. I keep a manual log the old fashioned way and have been comparing that to my dash reading. Usually it's right on, but when it's off it's only off my a tenth of a mile and it quickly gets to the "correct" level in a few miles, so I think it's just a rounding thing.

On the other hand, people here have said that around 5,000 miles their mileage went up dramatically, so much so that they were questionning whether Ford had programmed in a change in engine settings after some pre-determined "break-in" period of around 5k. At 6,000 miles I'm still waiting for the magic to happen.....

Edited by edge1217

Oh, at 300 miles your Edge is still a baby! Don't worry, that gas mileage will quickly improve. At 300 miles I was in a mild panic because I was seeing 13 MPG and I was convinced a Sherman tank could get better mileage.

Not to worry about your Edge. If you're not already doing so, you might want to drive with the MPG fuel efficiency screen visible so you can see how the MPG is responding to your foot. You'd be surprised how backing off the gas just a hair and taking some of the load off the engine will pick up those MPGs. It's kind of like driving around back in the day with a vacuum gauge attached to the base of your carb. But of course no one here knows what I mean by that I'm sure! Using the fuel economy gauge will help you drive more efficiently if mileage is a concern. Plus it's cool to look at.

Enjoy your Edge and welcome to the forum!

If you've driven 300 miles and have an MPG of 13 that would tell me that you've gone through 23 gallons of fuel and I suspect that you haven't. Off the top of my head, the total tank capacity is about 18 gallons. In my case, the reserve light comes on somewhere at the 3 gallons remaining / 15 gallon fill up point. Have you hit that?

As noted previously, I think that you have a lot of idle time involved in the new car. From the dealer instructions before you leave the lot, syncing phones, and playing with the display, interior light options, etc. Even the mildest driver probably tramps on the gas pedal a few times just to get a feel for the accelration. I certainly did and I'm normally not one to do that. I'd also be suspicious of the display readout for awhile.

If you haven't already done your first fill-up, that will be the next thing to throw you off on your MPG estimates. Many to include myself have noted that the fuel filler neck design causes the gas nozzle to kick off two or three gallons short of full. That experience varies by fuel nozzle design. I know that I end up trickling fuel into the tank after that point, and that introduces a lot of variation from one fill-up to the next if you're trying to track your MPG.

We got a FWD. Averageing 24MPG now. Not much city driving. We live in the county so county roads and two lane highways. Weather has warmed up. I don't check the mileage in cold weather. Takes more power/fuel to get cold parts moving. I know when we first got ours I played with the gadgets while idling that sure knocks the heck out of the average. I leave ours on instant mileage of the time. Have to see what happens this summer when we take a road trip. I sold a 2004 Ford Freestar minivan when I bought the edge. It averaged 23.8 / 24.3 on every trip we took. Sure want the edge to do better than that..

Larry

Northern,In

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2013 Ford Edge Sel with 20" Rims [Appearance Package].... Currently 1012.01 miles... Burn 89 Mobil or Chevron...I have only used one tank of 91 and have not used 87 at all.... Fuel Gauge shows I am at 17.1 mpg... Drove 276.50 miles from last fill up... City and Freeway Driving....

If I can average 20 mpg plus I will be more then Stoked as my BMW 535xi Sports Wagon which of course required 91 premium never went above 18 / 19 mpg and that was when I was doing more Freeway driving... Mostly 16 mpg in any of our BMW's.

Why use 89 mid-grade or 91 premium when the car only needs 87 regular? If you're concerned about economics (mileage), using higher octane than necessary is just throwing your money away. Even with the very slight increase in mileage possible (with SOME Ford engines) because of the additional timing advance, the difference is not enough to compensate for the added cost of the fuel.

Edited by TheWizard

I don't know, 15-16 MPG sounds low to me and I doubt the BAMR and tow pack are affecting your MPG all that much. My 2013 Edge Limited AWD is closing in on 9,000 miles and I'm averaging 20.8 mpg per the mileage meter. I'm also tracking MPG by hand and the meter never varies more than a tenth of a gallon plus or minus vs the hand calculations, so I'm pretty confident in the MPG reading. Been doing a lot of highway driving over the past 3 weeks which boosted the MPG from 20.1 to 20.8, so I suspect over time it will drop back down to 20.1 or thereabouts when I go back to my normal driving routine. It had pretty much settled into 20.1 and held there prior to my recent road trips, and that was based on probably 70% short trips around town and 30% highway. I live in hilly CT with a lot of stop and go driving. I drive pretty normally, and tend to hang near the front of the pack if you know what I mean. The only thing I try to do with the Edge is keep an eye on the MPG meter, kind of like watching the vacuum gauge back in the day. I try to resist the temptation to go over 65-70 on the highway and try to remember to accelerate gradually, and try to back off just a hair when the engine is under load. On the highway, the cruise control seems to be smarter than my foot as far as mpg is concerned based on the way the MPG meter reacts, so I use it on those rare occasions where the CT traffic and road conditions allow. I think all of that helps as far as MPG goes. I only burn Sunoco Regular which is 87 Octane. I have the 18" wheels if that makes a difference, and the Edge is seldom loaded with anything other than me, my wife, my dog, and 3 happy smiles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How the heck are you driving ? Around town, I'm doing around 17 (3.7 - MKX). Went out to Ohio last month, doing 70-80 (sometimes 85) an still got a very respectable 22.5 - 23 mpg. On a few shorter trips into Pa, doing 63-65 mph, I have hit 26 - damn good !

2013 Ford Edge Sel with Appearance Package > Just slightly over 1,300 miles @ 16.7 mpg 95% Short Distant City Driving ..... So far I am remaining positive.

I believe the 20" wheels keeps the 'mpg' from climbing faster. Only a guess.

And since it has been extremely hot in the LA area the air conditioner has been on more then normal.

2013 Ford Edge Sel with Appearance Package > Just slightly over 1,300 miles @ 16.7 mpg 95% Short Distant City Driving ..... So far I am remaining positive.

I believe the 20" wheels keeps the 'mpg' from climbing faster. Only a guess.

And since it has been extremely hot in the LA area the air conditioner has been on more then normal.

Actually, the 20" wheels and tires by themselves have no significant impact on mileage - they are within a couple of millimeters of the same diameter as the 18" wheels/tires. 245/60-18 overall diameter = 751mm, 245/50-20 overall diameter = 754mm.

The difference would be because Ford put different rear end gear ratios with 20" wheels... 3.39:1 for 20" wheels, 3.16:1 for 18" wheels. This means that you are running the engine at higher RPM for the same road speed with the 20" wheels - causing somewhat lower gas mileage (about 7% or about 2mpg on a V6).

• Like 1

2013 Limited AWD here with only about 3100 miles on it and we so far are averaging around 16mpg with 90% of that short city trips. This includes quite a bit of idle time. A week that I don't do much idling I'll get about 18mpg. On the highway get just under 24mpg doing around 70 to 80 mph. If I do closer to the speed limit I can get as high as 26 to 27mpg.