Help - Issue with 2011 Ford Edge - Ford not Helping !!!

nafreire

I purchased my 2011 ford edge pre-released. About 10 months ago my dealer did one of your TSB's on my Ford edge. Since then an intermediate issue has been occurring on my car.
What happens is the car will suddenly loose Acceleration/power while driving. A brown square appears in the left section of the instrument panel telling the me that AWD is off. If I hit OK a brown wrench appears below. While this is occurring I can press the gas pedal and the Car will not accelerate and move. The weird issue is once I turn of the Car and turn in back on the Wrench is gone and the Car now drives normal

Has anybody had a similar issue?

I have taken my car into service more than once and all they do is drive the car for about 1hr then report back that they cannot replicate it.

I purchased my 2011 ford edge pre-released. About 10 months ago my dealer did one of your TSB's on my Ford edge. Since then an intermediate issue has been occurring on my car.

What happens is the car will suddenly loose Acceleration/power while driving. A brown square appears in the left section of the instrument panel telling the me that AWD is off. If I hit OK a brown wrench appears below. While this is occurring I can press the gas pedal and the Car will not accelerate and move. The weird issue is once I turn of the Car and turn in back on the Wrench is gone and the Car now drives normal

Has anybody had a similar issue?

I have taken my car into service more than once and all they do is drive the car for about 1hr then report back that they cannot replicate it.

Try taking a video of it while it is doing it next time. That way, you have atleast something to show them so you know you aren't going crazy.. I haven't heard of this before..

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely throttle body. Tell them you heard about a throttle body problem with the same exact symptoms and see what they say.

Sorry, don't agree at all. Sounds more like an issue with the AWD putting the vehicle in a "limp-home" mode to avoid damage. The AWD is not designed to be engaged continually and can overheat if driven in this mode (i.e. up a snow covered hill for a few miles). The AWD might not be actually overheating, but the temp sensors or some other component might be failing or something in the traction/stability control might be commanding the AWD to be engaged for extended periods of time when it should not be. It would be interesting to know what the conditionas are when this happens. You could monitor the left screen that shows the AWD function. 90% of the time you should only see the front wheels getting power.

Find yourself a dealer that takes you seriously and is willing to keep the car for a while.

Limp home would still allow it to be drived. The OP said there is no throttle response at all. And turning the vehicle off and back on fixes it immediately. That's exactly the same symptom as the throttle body issue. It may not be that but it seems to fit better than a limp home mode.

• 2 months later...

I've had the same thing happen - mine has been happening on rolling stops as I'm making a right turn. Alert light comes on saying that AWD is off and the service wrench appears. My car slows down to nothing and I have to shut off and turn my car back on to get it up and rolling. Once I shut it off and re-start it works....rougher for a bit, but at least I could accelerate. It was idling rough for a bit after. At first my dealership thought it had to do with the shifter (which I needed replaced) but it happened twice after the replacement within the matter of a week.

My dealership is in the process of talking to Ford engineers and I'm taking it in on Thursday.

My husband thinks it could be the O2 sensor that needs replacement - but I'm not too sure about that.

I'm going to bring the TSB 11-5-6 in with me as well and talk to my dealership about the possibility of it as well.

I have no idea what to expect - if they can't find an issues (this will be the second time taking my car in about this issue) then I will be requesting the "black box".

I had a problem just like this in my 2007 Cherokee SRT8. It would randomly turn on all the nanny system lights and have 0 acceleration. Turned out that the shifter slides down a contact strip when you shift into gear. That tells the car what gear you are in. Those strips get dirty and the signal gets weak and the car will suddenly think you aren't in gear, or something catastrophic has happened and you loose the ability to accelerate. I took mine apart, cleaned it with brake parts cleaner (obviously contact cleaner would have been more appropriate but I didn't have any on hand) Once I cleaned that contact strip, I never had the problem again. I'd check into that becuase what you describe is exactly what I had happening to me. I was pretty few and far in between in the begining but it got a lot more frequent over time.

Ok, I took my car in after the AWD warning light came on and the acceleration dropped....the dealership was able to mimic the issue and they found.... (drum roll please....) that it was the throttle body that needed replacement! It stumped my dealership because when they hooked it up to the computer to see if any problems registered, it said that everything was fine and there were no issues.

Knowing that it was the throttle body makes sense because I've had issues with accelerating from the get-go and I found that when I filled up with premium gas performance was better. Now after getting the throttle body replaced I find that I no longer have issues with accelerating with regular gas.

Crisis averted! ;)