Adding Navigation to non Nav MFT

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but i have some pretty exciting, if not old, news. The APIM went out in my girlfriend's edge and much like some of the earlier posts in this thread indicate, I was able to replace it with an APIM from a nav unit and now have factory navigation in my 2012 edge that did not come with it.

This process was very easy. First I located the APIM module on line via a parts locator service. Next I took the VIN number from the vehicle I would be aquiring the APIM from, and checked it online against ford's database to ensure that it had the navigation option. After the part arrived, it was as simple as opening up the dash (super easy, i promise) and replacing the computer with two clip connectors. We are absolutly thrilled that we were able to pick up the APIM for less than $200.

So in closing, you can easily add nav to a non-nav edge. All you need to do is locate a used APIM with nav and swap it out. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sounds great, but it won't last. My understanding is that doing it this way will fool the system for a little while, but eventually the system will catch up and the Nav will stop working. Please keep us updated over time to see if it's still working.

• 2 weeks later...

Great price on the nav unit. Congrats. What did you mean when you stated that you "replaced the computer with two clip connectors "?

Hello, sorry i wasnt clear... I was refering to the wireharness that will plug into the back of the APIM. Either way, the comment was to illustrate just how easy this process was.

Just be sure to verify the VIN of the APIM you are getting indeet has factory navigation by checking the VIN against the ford website.

Sounds great, but it won't last. My understanding is that doing it this way will fool the system for a little while, but eventually the system will catch up and the Nav will stop working. Please keep us updated over time to see if it's still working.

The system doesnt take OTA updates so I'm pretty sure you just made that up.

Either way, its still working and I will post here the day that it stops.

Havent seen anybody mention that theirs stopped working over on EscapeForums. Theres a pretty lengthy thread running over there on this very mod. I have an APIM and A5 card coming for my Edge to try out.

Awesome! let us know how it goes!

Despite the fact that you're spending a lot of money for PImods to get your navigation, you're still not buying the software license which means it is illegal. Not much chance anything would ever come of it, but you should be aware.

I'm also very curious how he gets the cluster to change to "directions" since the cluster software is completely independent of the APIM. I've actually had navigation added the "official" way and the cluster always needs to be programmed separately.

Despite the fact that you're spending a lot of money for PImods to get your navigation, you're still not buying the software license which means it is illegal. Not much chance anything would ever come of it, but you should be aware.

I'm also very curious how he gets the cluster to change to "directions" since the cluster software is completely independent of the APIM. I've actually had navigation added the "official" way and the cluster always needs to be programmed separately.

Edited by jataylor11

As far as the license goes all NAV units use the same license, isnt that weird?

The cluster changes to directions during a route just as if using turn by turn. To do true nav cluster that has to be updated as well but obviously can't do that with just an APIM replacement.

• 1 month later...

I understand that. But again, Im really not worried about it. (I did change lanes this morning without signaling though) Since Ford failed to give people the option to add factory navigation to their cars after leaving the factory, those who want it have to improvise.

Just because you don't have a problem stealing software you didn't pay for, doesn't make it right.

You did have the option of buying the navigation software when you purchased the vehicle. Don't blame Ford for your choices.

Being an IT professional this attitude irritates me. Sorry.

I am going to address this...everyone has their own opinion:

I use legit OEM Ford Equipment/Software to add the Navigation. I pay Ford a yearly fee in order to be able to do this not to mention I have purchased Ford's OEM equipment to do it. The "license" that is utilized is generic as ALL APIMs with Navigation use the same Nav "license." I download it right from Ford.

Ford chooses not to offer this as a post purchase accessory which they are shooting themselves in the foot for. There is no intent to defraud Ford of money since they do not offer it themselves. This service is for people who buy a used vehicle without NAV (beyond their control) or bought a new vehicle and regret not buying NAV with the vehicle. I will not upgrade for anyone that says hey I want to save a few bucks and order a new car then have you add it.

There are many people out there who prefer OEM integrated solutions for their vehicles. I have no issue with people who want to use 3rd party navigation such as Garmin's or their phones.

So Ford makes money because I have to pay them in order to offer the service plus either I have to buy the Navigation SD cards or the end user does.

And no I will not discuss any further details as to how I do it.

Edited by jmr061

Just because you don't have a problem stealing software you didn't pay for, doesn't make it right.

You did have the option of buying the navigation software when you purchased the vehicle. Don't blame Ford for your choices.

Being an IT professional this attitude irritates me. Sorry.

When MFT debuted back in 2010 for the 2011 model, there was a lot of talk that Navigation would be an add on option by simply buying & inserting an SD card. Many customers, including those who post in this forum, were told by Ford Dealers that Navigation could be added later on only to be disappointed. Even if Ford did not state it, as it might have been speculation by some reviewers and/or salespeople that was spread on the internet, Ford did NOT make it clear at the time. To know now that adding Nav is a simple software issue (which Ford denied many times ago through their reps in Forums) is just a continuation of Ford's mess-up with MFT.

Nobody ever said that Ford couldn't make navigation available aftermarket - only that they chose not to. The software is the easy part. Coming up with a way for dealers to do it without making it easy for techs or others to do it without paying for it is a lot harder. And it appears they put all of their resources into sync3 which I think is much smarter than spending those resources on a dealer nav option.

If they do a MFT compatible version of sync3 you may very well see an add-on nav option - that would make sense.

Nobody ever said that Ford couldn't make navigation available aftermarket - only that they chose not to. The software is the easy part. Coming up with a way for dealers to do it without making it easy for techs or others to do it without paying for it is a lot harder. And it appears they put all of their resources into sync3 which I think is much smarter than spending those resources on a dealer nav option.

If they do a MFT compatible version of sync3 you may very well see an add-on nav option - that would make sense.

Knowing the process involved it would be very easy for Ford to make it available as a pay per vehicle upgrade.