Adding Navigation to non Nav MFT

If you're simply redeploying software from a totaled vehicle that did have Nav from the factory, then that should be legal from the nav company standpoint - Ford has already paid them for that license and both vehicles are not using it at the same time.

Whether Ford considers it legal to swap the software like that - not sure.

However, purchasing a used vehicle without Nav is COMPLETELY under the purchaser's control, just like purchasing a new vehicle without it.

Knowing the process involved it would be very easy for Ford to make it available as a pay per vehicle upgrade.

As I just said - the software part is easy. Creating a package that any dealer can install but at the same time making it very difficult for unscrupulous dealership employees to pirate it is the challenge.

Edited by akirby

Creating a package that any dealer can install but at the same time making it very difficult for unscrupulous dealership employees to pirate it is the challenge.

Actually it is not that hard! They can connect the License to the SD Card which, as far as it is known till now, is not possible to copy or duplicate!!!

Hey jataylor11 -> "And no I will not discuss any further details as to how I do it." just a wild guess here but I'd say your [moral] compass is broken or missing.

Situational ethics aside, be careful what you wish for. That Ford MFT might actually power up. Then you'll see why despite having it on my 2011 Edge Limited with the 302a package, I choose to have a Garmin 2455LMT next to the "A" pillar. The entire navigation package in the MFT is more of a frustration than any help. Remember the last time you were at the holiday inn express and watching cinemax at 1am. Yea ... that frustrating.

Leave it alone and let garmin tell you where to go. Accurate, updates up to 4 times a year (included) I can input and find an address in under 30 seconds. AND .. it knows what a rural fire number address is. MFT says WTF

Forgive me for over simplifying and sucking all the wind out of the ethical conundrum of adding nav to a non-nav MFT, but I agree with Tacyon.

All I need is my S4 suctioned to my windshield with google maps nav and I'm all set.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I just don't see what the big deal is about getting nav on the MFT if it wasn't factory equipped. I'll admit I was curious about adding it when I first got my used '13 SEL, but given the expense and trouble, I quickly got over it. There are so many other options now, and for as often as you would actually need to use navigation, the smartphone or other after market nav devices do the job.

It's nice to have it on a 8" screen instead of a 4" screen and also having the turns in the instrument cluster. It automatically mutes or lowers the volume on the stereo to give you verbal commands. To some people that's important. To others, it isn't.

Some people would say you're stupid to use a GPS at all and that they get along just fine with paper maps. To each his own.

• 5 weeks later...

In and working, no problems at all. My wife did not need any more reasons to mess with her phone than she already does. At least she can yell at this and it picks up destinations. Rather than her messing with her dam phone and putting the car in a ditch. Weve used it on 2 trips thus far and tracks perfect and has found the 2 destinations without a hitch. Travel Link even works after calling Sirius.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I purchased my 2010 Edge Limited AWD new I couldn't barely afford the vehicle let alone the NAV system. I love my Edge and would be delighted if I could replace the original AM/FM Stereo 6CD changer/MP3 player with the Ford OEM NAV system. Is this possible without jumping through major software/technical hoops as described in this thread?

Edited by Tribby2001

That system just splices into the touchscreen with a separate navigation system. It does not add the MFT navigation feature. Just FYI.

The company website says that it retains all of the factory controls of the mytouch system, however you have to get map updates from them.

The MFT feature I assume you are referring to is the map arrow/guidance on the instrument cluster display, that i do not know about but i agree that it highly unlikely.

Hell, is still works well as an aftermarket add-on feature to allow navigation to be used in the Edge 8in display for easy map viewing and touch control.

I know a Garmin stuck on the dash/windshield will not work on any of the Mytouch system controls at all. ;)

http://www.rostra.com/softtouch-gm-toyota-navigation-interface-by-rostra.php#2507614

Edited by carguy75

You also won't get the sync voice control for any of the navigation functions. If you just want to use the integrated touch screen it should work ok.

Well it is aftermarket, so it will not be same as adding a OEM Navigation system to the Edge which will cost about three times as much new.

If a person do not have the OEM navigation from the start, then they will not not be missing out on the voice control nav or any nav function they never had to begin with. ;)

I would buy the aftermarket system just to have the larger touch screen map.

It sucks trying to adjust a dash/windshield mounted GPS unit when on the highway, I like the larger touchscreen option way better.

However, i would probably just try to part-out a wrecked Edge that has navigation and try just switching the navigation unit and adding the GPS antenna since my Edge has the My-touch screens already.

From what I read somewhere the head unit houses the software that includes the navigation features.

I am worried about if the newer FORD head-units are coded to work only in vehicles they were originally installed in.

However, the aftermarket unit will work well for many who just want the integrated map feature on the larger 8in touch screen.

Edited by carguy75

I found this listing on Ebay for a 2011 Ford Edge navigation unit, but i really do not know if it is not the same as the unit i have already since many people think that every My-touch system has navigation due to larger screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Ford-Edge-NAVIGATION-RADIO-GPS-DVD-RADIO-FACE-PLATE-CLIMATE-CONTROL-UNIT-/361407454155?hash=item5425901bcb:g:WiwAAOSw~gRVym4L&vxp=mtr

For the pre2011 models i found this unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-Edge-Lincoln-MKX-Navigation-Bluetooth-Radio-OEM-/191692779024?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AEdge&hash=item2ca1c7ae10:g:nn0AAOSwEetV-bP5&vxp=mtr

Edited by carguy75

Every MFT Ford has a GPS antenna and all the hardware for Navigation. The only difference is the software settings and they can only be changed if you have a special "unlocking" tool. Putting a unit from a wrecked Edge into yours won't work as it will know that the VIN numbers don't match.

Every MFT Ford has a GPS antenna and all the hardware for Navigation. The only difference is the software settings and they can only be changed if you have a special "unlocking" tool. Putting a unit from a wrecked Edge into yours won't work as it will know that the VIN numbers don't match.

That is what I was afraid us, hence why have not bought an used nav unit yet to replace my non-nav My-touch unit. :cry:

Where did you get the information about special locks used on the Ford radios?

Never mind i read that you need to use a Ford IDS scan tool to program the new audio/nav module when replacing a audio/nav unit in my Ford Edge service manual .

I found a Ford VCM IDS programming tool for $260.00.

I wonder can it be used to just check/enable navigation in the audio module?

I would buy the tool for $260.00 if it does that as well as diagnostic information on the Edge.

http://www.obd2be.com/ford-vcm-ids-p-454.html

Edited by carguy75

• 1 month later...

I found a seller who ships factory nav-modules programmed to your vin number.

So it looks like a owner with the non-nav touch option can upgrade to the OEM naviagtion with full features now.

The seller seems to just ship navigation modules programmed to your vin number by using Ford VCM software.

I may bite one day if I really feel the need to spend $800 dollars for stock navigation, not right now.

Here is the link for someone who is willing to spend the cash to upgrade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-STOCK-OEM-FORD-SYNC-MY-FORD-TOUCH-GPS-NAVIGATION-RADIO-MODULE-UPGRADE-/151726733226?fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AEdge&hash=item23539e37aa:g:B6gAAOSwyvBV-IPl&vxp=mtr

http://www.oemautopartsco.com/products/2011-2016-explorer-edge-myford-touch-sync-gps-navigation-upgrade

Edited by carguy75

• 2 weeks later...

need Sync 2 navigation? seek in google for "Auto Hentzschel, Schleid Germany" There you get what you need. no hardware required. just original ford software in most language. not lose warranty. Ford told me it not work and not possible. this company can do what ford not can just for my Ford Everest :yahoo:

auto-hentzschel.de/ford-navigation-de.php

need Sync 2 navigation? seek in google for "Auto Hentzschel, Schleid Germany" There you get what you need. no hardware required. just original ford software in most language. not lose warranty. Ford told me it not work and not possible. this company can do what ford not can just for my Ford Everest :yahoo:

auto-hentzschel.de/ford-navigation-de.php

Stock European version? German, French, Italian, Spanish, even Russian - with European maps - all can be installed.

There is no need for that company, it is pretty much a DIY task.