Transmission

dckotwicki

I own an edge with just over 1K miles.

(1) Last night, while moving up (2-3 mph) at a light, I noticed the seemed to go out of gear and the catch. Nothing major, just caught my attention. Definitely not normal.

(2) Later in the evening my wife and I were comming home from a movie and it seemed as if the transmission slipped (there was a noticable increase in engine rpm... (500 - 1000 rpm)) between gears durring moderate acceleration. When the next gear engaged, the engine rpm slowed gradually with no engagement bang.

I am going to pay closer attention for a while.

I am hoping this is not the start of something that will make me happy.

My wife and I just went out and purchased 2 Ford vehicles, a Focus for me, the Edge for her.

These are our first Fords in many years. I hope I am not dissapointed.

Any thoughts on my tranny issue?

Anyone have similar issues or abservations?

Mine had a bit of hiccup once (actually twice, but I specificallly remember the second one). I was rolling forward barely on the gas as we were about to turn onto the entrance ramp to the interstate and as stepped into it a bit harder, it was like it got confused and didn't kow what to do. RPMs dropped even though I was giving it gas, then finally determined 'oh he wants to go' and fond the gear needed and took off. I'm not sure how many miles I had on it at the time, but it was within the first 2,500 I think.

Hasn't done it since.

Mine had a bit of hiccup once (actually twice, but I specificallly remember the second one). I was rolling forward barely on the gas as we were about to turn onto the entrance ramp to the interstate and as stepped into it a bit harder, it was like it got confused and didn't kow what to do. RPMs dropped even though I was giving it gas, then finally determined 'oh he wants to go' and fond the gear needed and took off. I'm not sure how many miles I had on it at the time, but it was within the first 2,500 I think.

Hasn't done it since.

Mine has 1200 m iles and it has done it again. I am having 2 different symptoms.

The first: Slow roll at a red light as traffic compresses. I give it gas and it acts like there is no gear... then it finds the gear and... bang, it re-engages. Not a big bang, but it definitely got my attention. This happened twice.

The second: While steadily accelerating away from a stop light. When shifting from one gear to the next (in between gears) the rpm build up... maybe 500 - 1000 rpm. Then the clutch slowly re-engages and it's over. This has happened twice (once on 2 seperate days).

I called the Ford dealer today and was told "If we can't reproduce it, there is nothing we can do"

I am not sure how "reproduceable it is yet"

I will monitor it.

I have a MKX and the same thing was happening to me. I also noticed oil spots on my driveway. I took it in and they first told me it was a gasket leaking, so they ordered the part then when I took it back to have the part put on they called me and told me the whole transfer case had to be replaced and I have been in a rental car for a week now.

This might be the torque converter clutch working. I am no expert in the matter, but I know that the converter clutch is electronically controlled for slip to make the shifting as smooth as possible. It doesn't just downshift. With a bit more throttle, before a downshift, the converter is unlocked to provide a bit more RPM's and limit all of the shifting up and down. I think it may also help gas milage.

It is something that is changed with performance programmers along with shift firmness and RPM. Same with on vehicles such as trucks with a Tow / Haul mode where converter lockup is limited to prevent it from burning up.

***** This is just vague info on limited knowledge! Don't kill me if it isn't right! ******

• 1 month later...
This might be the torque converter clutch working. I am no expert in the matter, but I know that the converter clutch is electronically controlled for slip to make the shifting as smooth as possible. It doesn't just downshift. With a bit more throttle, before a downshift, the converter is unlocked to provide a bit more RPM's and limit all of the shifting up and down. I think it may also help gas milage.

It is something that is changed with performance programmers along with shift firmness and RPM. Same with on vehicles such as trucks with a Tow / Haul mode where converter lockup is limited to prevent it from burning up.

***** This is just vague info on limited knowledge! Don't kill me if it isn't right! ******

This has happed to me one time as well. In the old 700r4 days, it was called a flared shift.

As a part time trans builder, I am concerned about it. Hopefully, it is an occasional electronics glitch. As soon as an ATSG manual is produced, I intend to purchase one and have a look.

Kahkiman. My edge is doing the same thing. There was a leaking seal. They replaced it once and no good. Now they have a seal that is on order that is a different revision. Its on backorder for a while. So, Im w/o my car for a while. Driving a v6 charger. Would be nicer if it was a HEMI. How did your car turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2008 Edge Limited that has a transmission slip. I have noticed the slip on the 1st to 2nd and the 2nd to 3rd shifts. I took it back to my Ford dealer and we drove another Edge that did exactly the same thing. They don't know what to do. They said if it gets worse they will do something then. Has anyone else experenced this problem and how was it resolved?

Edited by rt53

I have a 2008 Edge Limited that has a transmission slip. I have noticed the slip on the 1st to 2nd and the 2nd to 3rd shifts. I took it back to my Ford dealer and we drove another Edge that did exactly the same thing. They don't know what to do. They said if it gets worse they will do something then. Has anyone else experenced this problem and how was it resolved?

I had my transmission replaced. When it slipped, it slammed BAD :banghead:

It seams to happen on cold mornings.

My transmission does not shift hard when it catches. It goes into the next gears smoothly, but you can hear the engine rpms increase as it shifts from one gear to another. It is worse when the transmission is cold. And by cold I mean room temp because it is in a heated garage. What did your dealer say about the slipping?

• 2 weeks later...
My transmission does not shift hard when it catches. It goes into the next gears smoothly, but you can hear the engine rpms increase as it shifts from one gear to another. It is worse when the transmission is cold. And by cold I mean room temp because it is in a heated garage. What did your dealer say about the slipping?

I was something about the manufacturing process,, something was not "aligned correctly" when the transmission was being built.

Has anyone else noticed a slip in their transmission on the first and sceond shifts only? All the other shifts are quick and smooth.

I have had a 2007 Edge for 3 days now (just rolled over 300 miles). I have noticed that the shifts from 1st to 2nd seem to be "searching" at times. I have noticed that when I take off a little more slowly it is more noticealbe then if I get on it a little more. I'm going to watch it over the next few days before I start chewing on the dealer that it needs to get fixed.

This is a lot of money for this purchase I hope it doesn't end up biting me in the rear end!!!

I have had a 2007 Edge for 3 days now (just rolled over 300 miles). I have noticed that the shifts from 1st to 2nd seem to be "searching" at times. I have noticed that when I take off a little more slowly it is more noticealbe then if I get on it a little more. I'm going to watch it over the next few days before I start chewing on the dealer that it needs to get fixed.

This is a lot of money for this purchase I hope it doesn't end up biting me in the rear end!!!

In reading more and more, I believe that this is a characteristic of this transmission. It seems like everywhere I read on this, it seems to happen at slow/low speeds. No issues whatsoever when you are getting to about 3k RPMs between shifts. What I don't know is, will this cause issues down the line.

In reading more and more, I believe that this is a characteristic of this transmission. It seems like everywhere I read on this, it seems to happen at slow/low speeds. No issues whatsoever when you are getting to about 3k RPMs between shifts. What I don't know is, will this cause issues down the line.

I hope that everything will be ok down the line. I as well have tried to do some additional reading and research on this and it does seem like this is a characteristic of the Edge. I think I will still watch it and make sure it doesn't change for the worse.

• 1 month later...
Our Edge seems to be having the low-speed shift glitch with increasing frequency. Has anyone taken the problem up with their dealership and seen any improvement or is it just characteristic of the beast?

1. I know an engineer from Ford who says that Ford is aware of the issue. He suggests if the problem is too annoying, take it into the dealer and request the trans be "re-flashed" (re-programmed).

2. I work for a Auto supplier and was told by an engineer that this "symptom" is not an issue.

Reason: There is an electronic clutch that engages the torque converter creating two mechanisms for engagement (not sure I said that right). Occasionally (under certain conditions... engine speed, load etc.), the electronic engagement will drop to 85% instead of 100%... Thus, the rpm increase we are seeing.

Any thoughts?

* Even if this is normal, I am not particularly pleased. Only time will tell.

** I am sure the dealerships will respond with the "Dear in the headlights" look.

Edited by dckotwicki

could this be a result of the same tech that's built into late-model VWs?

my wife's jetta (auto, 2.0L) won't engage until the brake is released for either 2 seconds, or low revs applied. apparently there's some stupid logic about how this is supposed to be safer (when it only results in mild whiplash).

• 3 weeks later...

just made it to 5500 miles on odometer and bang. the trans started to slip. especially from 1st to 2nd. like it was in neutral and no power. the rpm's were high. also when parked and put it in drive. it would not go and then it grabbed, HARD>

so off i went to dealer and now have a rental.

will let you know.

• 4 weeks later...
I had my transmission replaced. When it slipped, it slammed BAD :banghead:

It seams to happen on cold mornings.

Same on my 07 MKX. It was starting to do it just about every morning on the first shift & seemed to be getting worse. They reprogrammed the computer in September & its been fine until last week. It feels as though its starting to slip for about 1/2 second, then slams very hard into gear.

• 1 month later...

hello guys im new here and this is my first ford...my first american car i bought the edge sel 2007 and the transmission is starting to slip on low speed

im to worry cuz i dont have warrenty on my car ....what should i do ...is it electrecal or mecanical fault ...just made to 3000 km(1500m)

please help

hello guys im new here and this is my first ford...my first american car i bought the edge sel 2007 and the transmission is starting to slip on low speed

im to worry cuz i dont have warrenty on my car ....what should i do ...is it electrecal or mecanical fault ...just made to 3000 km(1500m)

please help

Why don't you have a warranty?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have an 08 Limited and have had the same slippage problem. I have only seen it two times, and oddly enough it was leaving a restaurant we go to from time to time. So the transmission was probably not cooled down to room temperature. The road had a slight incline. It slipped at about the same RPM and I believe it was from 2nd to 3rd. It happened before I put 1000 miles on it, and it's never done it since then.

However now I have a car (4000 miles) that likes to die when you stop. It's happened twice in a week time frame. The first time I pulled into a parking place, and when I came to a complete stop the engine stopped at the same time. The second time I was backing out of my driveway and the engin stopped at the same time I fully braked to shift into drive... Yay, fun.