Took a test drive, and I'm disappointed to say that I've changed my mind on the Edge

I've been dead set on the Ford Edge being my next vehicle since I started looking at it in August. I just had to save up, and find the right one at the right price. But I just took my first test drive with one, and I just didn't like how it felt to drive. Don't misunderstand me, I loved the vehicle. The options, the look (of course), etc. If I was just going to be a regular passenger in the vehicle, I'd have been all for it. And it was very responsive when it came to turning, accelerating, and braking. But it's just the way I felt while driving it. I didn't feel "in command" of the road. Not sure if that makes sense. I'm used to driving my F-150 80% of the time, and my parents' Excursion the other 20%. So I think it's the fact that the Edge is on a car chassis.

I'm sure it's something I could eventually overcome. But that said, I'm probably moving past looking for an Edge. So now I have to decide what to look at next.

The Explorer is next on my list, for sure. The next to most recent generation (4th), that's 2005 - 2010. It's on the Ranger chassis. So it's a truck, though still smaller than I'm used to. Hopefully it will feel right to drive. Obviously it's not as attractive (to me, at least) as the Edge. But with the right color paint and options, it can still be an attractive vehicle. Like this one I'm looking at:

01.jpg

And I would even be open to an Expedition, but it's hard to find a newer one in my price range with less than 70k miles.

If anyone has any advice on figuring out what to do from here, I'd be happy to hear it. I guess once this thread goes stale, I'll be signing off this forum. :/ I've enjoyed the community for my short stay, though!

Oh, I didn't know that it wasn't a Ranger chassis on the Explorer. Is it just its own? I'm pretty sure that it's a smaller chassis than the F-150's, right?

The Edge I test drove had the V6 3.5L. This is it. I think that the Sport Trac had some of its own issues that the regular Explorer didn't share, if I remember correctly. That's what I wanted before I got my F-150. The rollover safety issues are what kept me from it.

But that's beside the point. I LOVED how the Edge drove in regards to acceleration, responsiveness, braking. All things engine related-- that was all good. It just wasn't comfortable to me, personally, to drive. I felt a little lower than I'd like to be. I felt like I couldn't see around me. And a little cramped in (for a driver-- I wouldn't have minded as a passenger). I'm fairly short (5'6"), but I had my seat up so high that my head was almost touching the roof. It was subconsciously done at first, I guess to try to get a higher viewpoint of the road. But then I realized how close my head was to the roof, and lowered the seat.

I do appreciate you guys trying to sway me back. But I was really gung ho for getting an Edge. I've wanted one ever since they came out with the 07 model. So don't take my change of mind lightly. I understand that some of this could apply to driving any vehicle that is new to you. So I'm going to drive the Explorer and see how it feels. If I realize that any unfamiliar vehicle I try is having the same effect on me-- at that point, I may swing back around to the Edge again. But I think that would be the only way.

Not really trying to sway you, just to make sure you're doing an apples to apples comparison. If you don't like it then you don't like it.

I think you should give it at least a couple more drives if you like it otherwise, just to see if it's something you would get used to especially if you can keep it for a few hours or overnight.

The Explorer chassis started out as a Ranger chassis way back in 1991 but it evolved significantly over the years to be different including IRS.

@TheyCallMeBT, The Edge (&MKX) feels like small car compared to a friend's Expedition (2011) that I drove a few times. Some people just prefer the "Truckness" that comes with large body on frame SUVs.

I would suggest you try the new Explorer, as it drives somewhere between an Expedition & an Edge. Perhaps even closer to the expedition than the Edge, at least that's what I fealt.

I had a '06 Explorer Limited, in the color you posted (dark stone). Had it 6 years, got tired of the harder ride, switched to my '12 MKX, which I love. Do what is best for you, but I see the Explorer you posted is a V8, just like mine was. Hope that you own a gas station, mine was terrible on gas mileage, also had the tow package. A friend got a new Explorer, I got to drive it, not that impressed. Hope that you find something that makes you happy.

Edited by JOEHIO

couldn't care less what you end up driving. but the first edge I test drove I think was an 2010 SEL. wasn't what I was expecting. just didn't overly caer for the ride. not sure what I was expecting. I since drove about 3 more and each time they felt better. then finally drove a 2013 sport and at that point I was certain that was the car. ended up getting an 09 sport with every option and I couldn't like the car any more than I do.. in fact I drive so much slower now basically because I don't want to get out of it. you're 5'6" and you felt cramped? find that very odd.. unless you're 400 lbs. then yeah,,maybe you'll want something to accommodate that much girth.

• Like 1

I drive an 08 Explorer with the V6 for work. It has 66K miles on it. The engine is tired...still goes and has 4x4 when needed but its just tired overall.

I do like sitting up higher but to me it drives more like a truck than a car.

My new Edge test drive was what sold me on the Edge...absolutely loved it. Its not for everyone though...no doubt.

Drive what you want...thats what I say!!! If its not for you or not comfortable..find something else!

I really don't mind the Explorer I have for work...I love the 4x4 in the winter and its comfortable.

I get the opportunity to drive all kinds of different things and I can tell you that it definitely takes a little time to get used to a different sized vehicle, but once you do, you will feel perfectly comfortable.

Maybe try renting something smaller, like a mid-size car for a few days. Then try the Edge again. You might be able to "trick" yourself into liking it, then after you own it for a week, you'll never understand how you were comfortable driving those big rigs around before!

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say from my recent car research and buying experience - you can read all the stuff about a car on the internet, read all the comments people make about it, see them on the road, but none of that amounts to sh*t until you actually drive it! I tried some cars I always admired but were a lot different when I actually drove them. I read an article the other day about car buying now and someone posted in the comments that they never drive a car before buying, they just went and bought it. To me that sounds crazy. The cars I ended up not liking I never drove again but the ones I wasn't sure about I would go and take another drive. I drove 3 Edge's before getting the one I just got. And yes the cars of the same model will all drive different.

I also at first didn't understand what you meant by "in command" of the road. I think for you this means sitting very high up. To me it means driving a sports car which is light quick and nimble! Sitting in the Edge I am much higher than the other cars I have owned since I don't own trucks or large SUVs.

• 3 weeks later...