What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

After coming home, I noticed that my passenger side HID wasn't firing all the time. I watched it after getting home one day from a trip to Frankfurt and noticed that it would slowly change colors and then turn off. It all happened within about 20 seconds of turning on.

So, I had to re-install the OEM bulbs. It was easy to rip out the DDM Tunning HID stuff but putting that bulb back into it's socket was an absolute nightmare! You have to set it just right for it to seat. Took me about 20 mins to get the driver's side in.

I am happy to have the headlights functional again but I am not happy about the color.

This is what I did tonight...

20140419_200852_zpsf1ade140.jpg

• Like 1

Installed a set of brand new Ford DVD headrests we got for $600 from a Ford dealer. They had ordered the wrong color by accident for a customer. They ordered the black/Sienna instead of the plain black.

The wife wanted to get the DVD headrests when we placed the factory order last year, but $2000 is insane. I told her I would eventually put in a cheaper aftermarket system, she was getting on my case to get it done as the travel season is coming. I came across this deal and jumped on it.

I had to get the headrests stained to match our medium light stone leather interior color. A local auto upholstery shop did it and it came out looking great.

Had a 2 hour road trip and they worked great, the kid loves it.

Original color.

post-25754-0-74891300-1398004499_thumb.jpeg

After stained and installed.

post-25754-0-06682600-1398004610_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Do you think it was a faulty bulb, or something else, Cellbine? Hope you can get replacement(s) under warranty!

I thought about that, but honestly they were only 50 bucks. Lasted a little less than 2 years. Im ok with that. I miss the color match, but I think Im going to look for a cooler white halogen bulb. From what I know about light laws in Korea, looks like I won't be allowed mods that aren't stock. I could be fined each time an officer pulls me over. So I am looking at my options. I don't want to have to go back to all stock but I might have to go back to OEM headlights and those crappy vertical running lights....

Installed a set of brand new Ford DVD headrests we got for $600 from a Ford dealer. They had ordered the wrong color by accident for a customer. They ordered the black/Sienna instead of the plain black.

The wife wanted to get the DVD headrests when we placed the factory order last year, but $2000 is insane. I told her I would eventually put in a cheaper aftermarket system, she was getting on my case to get it done as the travel season is coming. I came across this deal and jumped on it.

I had to get the headrests stained to match our medium light stone leather interior color. A local auto upholstery shop did it and it came out looking great.

Had a 2 hour road trip and they worked great, the kid loves it.

Original color.

attachicon.gifpost-25754-0-79143200-1397506140.jpeg

After stained and installed.

attachicon.gifIMG_2493325554633199.jpeg

These look great! I am really surprised on how well the stain came out. I would get them for my ride, but we don't have a need for them yet.

Just got back from a 900 mile road trip to Prague --> Dresden --> Nuremberg --> Home. Noticed a big difference in road noise actually. When I first started driving with the new tires I didn't really notice, but then I realized there was no rhythmic sound in the back passenger side of the car. I guess I had a balance problem with that wheel and never realized it because I got the car new. But the ride is nice and quite now. Very happy with the purchase.

• Like 1

I haven't waxed the edge since last fall, but the Collinte 845 survived the severe winter. It was just starting to not bead very much.

I washed, applied iron x then used a speedy prep towel to decontaminate the paint. I used Collinte 915 this time and it left a great looking finish.

I didn't get pics because it is pouring here today, but at least I know the paint is protected now.

I see a DA polisher in my future, the paint looks awesome still but I can see the start of some swirls.

Edited by jmacd27

jmacd27, did you find 915 easier/same/more difficult to work with than 845, what prompted you to switch? Don't look at the paint in direct sunlight if you hate swirls!

I wanted to try the 915 due to it supposedly looking fantastic on dark colors. I did find it tougher to apply and remove, but it was also pretty cool up here so that might have something to do with it. Regardless I wouldn't stop using it given the rusults thus far. It looked great after I was done even in the dark garage I was working in. It was raining when I had to go pick up the kid from school and it was beading like crazy. I'll reserve final judgement till I've seen the car in sunlight and how long it lasts.

Within the last two weeks,

I've removed the hood prop rod and added real hood struts,

changed the oil and oil filter plus the air filter and added a Fumoto oil drain valve in place of the drain plug

cleaned the inside of the wheels and tires,

scrubbed the outside of the wheels with Tuf Shine cleaner (each tire took 5-7 scrubbings to remove all traces of dirt and previous silicone tire dressings),

applied Tuf Shine Tire Dressing,

had Discount Tire rotate and balance the tires,

and received my Dr Color Chip touch up kit to be used later this week.

Almost forgot one of my favorite additions are the DRL's from Dan that I installed sometime in March or April!

Darn, I need a rest!

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 2