What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

post-40025-0-48022900-1523552604_thumb.jpg

Got new Bosch wiper blades in the mail today from Rock Auto for $11.85, can't beat that price!

Owned this thing for 31 months now and still haven't put $700 in it yet, including all maintenance/tinted windows/window vents/HVAC reprogram. This is by far the cheapest ride I ever owned! :) loving it

• Like 2

Every morning while the car warms up I dust it off with a California Car Duster then use Smart Detailer spray with a microfiber towel to clean off any bird droppings and those little yellow spots caused by bee poop. This keeps the car looking sharp between washes. I like the Smart product line and the detailer goes on easy with no streaking.

post-46130-0-97570900-1523664684_thumb.jpg post-46130-0-16279600-1523664774_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

Tune, BBK throttle body, maybe a dropin K&N filter (or similar) will net gains out of the drivetrain. Will also improve shifting.

For AWD, the best improvement is always regular fluid changes with a quality fluid like Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Lower friction, cleaner gear/bearing surfaces, high temp stability of the fluid, all add up to contribute.

Car ships from Hawaii to San Diego on Tuesday, so today did the lovely front license plate delete mod I have been waiting to do since ownership!
31113541_10213901727390723_4186418414274

she was filthy underneath
31167109_10213901727870735_2152734967073

got her taped off so I can hit it with my wool pad and griots garage fast correcting cream and perfecting cream. Then ceramic coat the section tonight

31064318_10213901727790733_5372801901710

BAM!

31059609_10213901728230744_6752676517689

• Like 3

2013 MKX, it's starting to get warm outside. I turned on the ac for the 1st time this year. It gets cool but I think it should get colder. Does the 2013 still use the 134 Freon? I have added some in the past to other cars but never this one. Is it still that easy?

Yes, still 134a. Yes, still that easy. Hopefully no system leak, or at least a VERY slow one! Might want to get a UV light and check the compressor and lines in the engine bay. Usually the compressor will leak, sometimes the Schrader valve at the ports, and sometimes the evaporator.

NOTE: Fluorescent refrigerant system dye is added to the refrigerant system at the factory to assist in refrigerant system leak diagnosis using a Rotunda-approved UV blacklight. It is not necessary to add additional dye to the refrigerant system before diagnosing leaks, even if a significant amount of refrigerant has been removed from the system. Replacement suction accumulators and receiver/driers are shipped with a fluorescent dye "wafer" included in the desiccant bag which will dissolve after approximately 30 minutes of continued A/C operation. It is not necessary to add dye after flushing or filtering the refrigerant system because a new suction accumulator or receiver/drier is installed as part of the flushing or filtering procedure. Additional refrigerant system dye should only be added if more than 50% of the refrigerant system lubricant capacity has been lost due to a fitting separation, hose rupture or other damage.

• Like 2

I remember reading years ago that all systems leak slightly over the winter because the seals are not being lubricated and shrink. They re-expand and seal after you start running the system. I had my radiator fan assy replaced year or two ago and they checked the a/c system for pressure loss. They found a very small amount lost and topped it off. Said it was normal loss.

• Like 1

Yes, I've also heard that ^. Its been suggested that over the winter you turn on your AC every few weeks and let it run a while to avoid the aforementioned leaks.

On the automatic climate system it will run the compressor in winter even in full heat mode as long as the temps are above freezing so that helps a lot - unless you're in the great frozen north.

• Like 2