Engine noise

1102adam

New here. Have a question. Was on f150 forum but traded it for a edge. Read through topics on engine ticking noise for 2011. I have a 2013 with 1300 miles I have notice there is a ticking/pully turning sound on passenger side when cold. When vehicle has been drove a short distance and warmed up not a sound. Quite. We bought two that night. Have only heard on one. I see some say its normal some say it's not? Thought I would ask some people that currently own them. Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Welcome & congrats! Glad you are over here,

"Ticking" is considered normal by Ford, and it certainly is if caused by the fuel injection system. Should be regular in timing though. There is also ticking that occurs during oil pressure buildup, but that should go away in a few seconds. In your case, it could be the cam phasers making the sounds.

Your Edge is still well within the breakin period though. Did you buy it new? Might not be a bad idea to have an oil change done just to make sure you have the OEM oil & filter combo in place. Blackstone Labs can analyze your oil to give you an idea what is happening with the engine.

The pulley turning sound could be an overly tight drive belt.

I would have it checked out by the dealership to make sure the concern is on record. A TSB that might help is 12-1-17.

If you can post a video/audio that captures the sound, that would be of help for analysis.

tsb12-1-17_Ford Edge COLD ENGINE STARTUP TICKING NOISE.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thank you!!! I did buy new in Sept . Sounds been there since it was new. The ticking is most noticeable during warm up only on passenger side is the loudest, if you are outside the car. Cab is quiet. I can drive it to work about which is about two miles , it doesent make an sound. I would say a total run time of 10 mins, and is quiet. Dealer I called ,they says sounds normal but without hearing wouldn't be 100 percent. But by time it's to dealer it is quiet , they are about 5 miles. Unless I won't to leave overnight so they can have startup, which is inconvient when I work. So I though who better to ask then the ones who own and drive them. Thanks so much!!

Yes, it should still apply, and you would have to insist on it. Dealers may go by the book, or be amenable to persuasion. If the ticking sound lasts 10 minutes, I'd say you have an excellent case to press for this TSB. If you are unsatisfied with the dealer's response, you can take it up with Ford National Customer Service. Either way, I hope you get it resolved painlessly, but be prepared for the good fight.

• 1 month later...

After staying at garage all day. The tech and foreman say this is normal. They compared to one on lot that started same thing after 1min. I am at 2300 miles now. About 1k later. No change. The other edge we own is at 900 miles . Still no sound. So I guess different cars , different sounds. Runs fine .

Yes I mentioned tsb. The sound seems be lower part of engine. The sound subsides just as fast or faster 1k later. Hopefully break in.

The tech said if it got no worse he said it was the variable cam timing. I would think after running hard in harsh cold if it was a concern it would have worsened by now.

Thanks for you replies and help..

• 4 weeks later...

When I first crank my 2011 SE it has a ticking sound. I can hear it when I am standing outside but nothing can be heard while sitting in the Edge. After about a few minutes of driving the sound goes away when I am just sitting there. Also, I have 23,xxx miles on mine. My parents have a 2012 SEL so I will ask them if their's does the same thing and report back.

When I first crank my 2011 SE it has a ticking sound. I can hear it when I am standing outside but nothing can be heard while sitting in the Edge. After about a few minutes of driving the sound goes away when I am just sitting there. Also, I have 23,xxx miles on mine. My parents have a 2012 SEL so I will ask them if their's does the same thing and report back.

If this problem persists, mrtwohands, let me know and I'll explore available options for assistance.

Todd

This is what mind does , warmed up or drove a few miles it ok. Nothing heard inside. We bought two 2013s. Only one does. The dealer says the one on lot makes the sound after a min. Totally normal.. Thanks. For the reply

[

Edited by 1102adam

• 2 weeks later...