2013 Edge MFT Navagation Issues

Hey everyone I have a 2013 Edge with MFT and just recently I started having some issues with the Navigation System. I start off at my house and have it give me directions and it will be fine for a certain amount of time then it will display "Off Route" and never really find its way back. It will show me well of the highway / road that I am on and it is becoming quite a pain. It has happened each of the last 4 times I have tried to use it.

Interestingly enough I read somewhere that putting different tires on the vehicle can cause this issue. I recently swapped out my factory 20" Tires / Rims for 17" Nokian's recommended by my local Tire Supplier. This really doesn't make a whole lot a sense to me since a GPS is supposed to use Satellites and not depend on the rotation of the tire.

Is there any truth to this as a potential cause? I was told that the 17's I went with are close enough to the factory diameter that I shouldn't have any issues with the Speedo / ODO.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone I have a 2013 Edge with MFT and just recently I started having some issues with the Navigation System. I start off at my house and have it give me directions and it will be fine for a certain amount of time then it will display "Off Route" and never really find its way back. It will show me well of the highway / road that I am on and it is becoming quite a pain. It has happened each of the last 4 times I have tried to use it.

Interestingly enough I read somewhere that putting different tires on the vehicle can cause this issue. I recently swapped out my factory 20" Tires / Rims for 17" Nokian's recommended by my local Tire Supplier. This really doesn't make a whole lot a sense to me since a GPS is supposed to use Satellites and not depend on the rotation of the tire.

Is there any truth to this as a potential cause? I was told that the 17's I went with are close enough to the factory diameter that I shouldn't have any issues with the Speedo / ODO.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hi funhouse69,

Have you consulted with your dealership regarding this change? Did it seem like the nav was accurate before the tire-change, or has this behavior been present the whole time? The navigation system does use GPS to track your location, but it also relies on something called "dead reckoning" - which means that if your vehicle loses its GPS connection for any amount of time, it will re-calibrate your current position based on the tire rotation. Your dealer may be able to modify the tire circumference settings in your GPS, but it is limited on the amount of presets that are available. If you want to PM your VIN, I can also check for any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that might have been issues to address this concern.

Antonio

Don't think the issue has anything to do with tires. My 2011 MKX would have this behaviour on cloudy days or when I pulled out of underground garage where the GPS would fail to acquire a lock and would cause the nav to drift and be off from the road. Dealer first tried to peform firmware update on GPS module but this did not resolve the problem. They then replaced the GPS module itself and issue has not reoccured since.

I just changed by tires from 20'' Stock to 17" Winter tires and have not had any issues with the GPS drift returning.

Reading through all of the posts that were linked to, one surprising fix was also found. The last two or three pages had posts saying that disconnecting the negative battery cable for several hours fixed their "off road" nav errors. Some of the fixes were still good after several thousand miles, and no one reported it did not work or reverted back to "off road" errors.

Well I see that I am not the only one that is having this issue. I didn't have this issue before getting the new tires but can't say if this is coincidental or not as I only use the GPS when I go to new places which I haven't done much until after getting the new tires. I haven't contacted the dealer as of yet, I wanted to see if anyone else had any insight on this before going that route. I assume based on what I am seeing they will blame the new new Tires. Which I honestly didn't think would have anything to do with it. As I mentioned I went from the Stock 20" Tires / Rims to 17" Tires / Rims (235-65/17) as others have mentioned.

From what I am seeing going form the Factory 245/50/20 to the 17's is a difference of 680.7 Revs compared to 695.1 which is also a difference of 71.4 Mph compated to 70 for the 17" I can see how that could be an issue but would think there would be a way to compensate for it especially if a GPS is used for location.

• 3 weeks later...

Had similar issue - after GPS worked flawlessly for 1st year + (approx. 14,000 miles on new vehicle). Have watched this forum for last several months on the issue.

GPS sporadically, usually every trip, but not 100% of time, would show off-route, location arrow would be 200 - 500 ft. off to side or behind actual location. In urban areas, this caused GPS to constantly reset driving directions (suggested route) and erroneously pick up location on side streets, etc.

My dealer recently replaced the GPS "antenna module" (receipt being mailed - I will post part ID when received) - and issue appears to be resolved. Has worked for last 3 weeks perfectly.

Previous repair attempt included "reprograming" the module - which did not work. To assist dealer - I provided pictures of GPS screen when malfunctioning....

Will post repair codes for both service visits.

PS: also had previously tried the following (none worked): Master Reset (per Ford telephone support suggestion), twice tried the battery disconnect / reconnect (GPS would work for limited time < 100 miles). Also, dealer had previously confirmed software updates properly installed.

Had similar issue - after GPS worked flawlessly for 1st year + (approx. 14,000 miles on new vehicle). Have watched this forum for last several months on the issue.

GPS sporadically, usually every trip, but not 100% of time, would show off-route, location arrow would be 200 - 500 ft. off to side or behind actual location. In urban areas, this caused GPS to constantly reset driving directions (suggested route) and erroneously pick up location on side streets, etc.

My dealer recently replaced the GPS "antenna module" (receipt being mailed - I will post part ID when received) - and issue appears to be resolved. Has worked for last 3 weeks perfectly.

Previous repair attempt included "reprograming" the module - which did not work. To assist dealer - I provided pictures of GPS screen when malfunctioning....

Will post repair codes for both service visits.

PS: also had previously tried the following (none worked): Master Reset (per Ford telephone support suggestion), twice tried the battery disconnect / reconnect (GPS would work for limited time < 100 miles). Also, dealer had previously confirmed software updates properly installed.

Josh, did your issue start after changing to winter tires as well?

No, tires are stock 245/50/R20 (upgrade).

GPS worked flawlessly for a year, then just malfunctioned one-day - nothing special occurred pre-failure. GPS never recovered correct operation.

Rec'd the "invoice" (warranty repair)......

Cause code (10E893)

They replaced (CT4Z*10E893* A AERIAL ASY - GPS E40 42)

statement also reads: "Perform PMI to Complete Repair"

So far, it is back working 100%.....

1/14/2014 - Update - since repair (above) 12/13/2013 - no issues, working flawlessly.

Edited by Josh51
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem (showing my car off the road intermittently) when I got my Edge limited 2013 from day one. Dealer reload the software, did not fix it. Brought it back they replaced FR# 7T4Z-10E893-A Aerial Asy-G. Hopefully it will fix the issue.

Brought my Edge in this past Friday, at first the Service Writer said he never seen / heard of this before but when I went to pick it up he said they've seen it before and that the ultimate fix has been replacing the "GPS Module". That said they did some kind of a software / firmware update and wanted to see if it worked as they were not able to see the issue after the update.

Of course it happened to me as soon as I went somewhere that night. I will say that while it goes off course it does seem to come back and find its way back to where I actually am. Obviously this is still completely unacceptable and it will be going back as soon as they get the module.

Brought my Edge in this past Friday, at first the Service Writer said he never seen / heard of this before but when I went to pick it up he said they've seen it before and that the ultimate fix has been replacing the "GPS Module". That said they did some kind of a software / firmware update and wanted to see if it worked as they were not able to see the issue after the update.

Of course it happened to me as soon as I went somewhere that night. I will say that while it goes off course it does seem to come back and find its way back to where I actually am. Obviously this is still completely unacceptable and it will be going back as soon as they get the module.

Hi funhouse69,

Keep me posted on how your service appointment goes. I can lend a hand if your issue persists. :)

Antonio

• Like 1

Hi funhouse69,

Keep me posted on how your service appointment goes. I can lend a hand if your issue persists. :)

Antonio

Thanks Antonio - The dealer claims to have ordered the "GPS Module" over a week and a half ago and I haven't heard a peep. I certainly don't think I should have to hound them especially with my work / sleep schedule but will have to see what the heck is going on.

Thanks Antonio - The dealer claims to have ordered the "GPS Module" over a week and a half ago and I haven't heard a peep. I certainly don't think I should have to hound them especially with my work / sleep schedule but will have to see what the heck is going on.

funhouse69,

Thanks for the status update. I wouldn't consider staying in touch with your dealer "hounding" - I'm sure your service adviser would rather have the opportunity to address any lapses in communication than let the matter boil over. It's perfectly reasonable to give them a call to see where things are at, especially considering your scheduling requirements. My guess is that the part could be on back order.

Antonio

funhouse69,

Thanks for the status update. I wouldn't consider staying in touch with your dealer "hounding" - I'm sure your service adviser would rather have the opportunity to address any lapses in communication than let the matter boil over. It's perfectly reasonable to give them a call to see where things are at, especially considering your scheduling requirements. My guess is that the part could be on back order.

Antonio

Antonio - The dealers ears must have been burning, I posted this on the 21st and the next morning I got a call from the dealer saying the part was in stock. I dropped if off this AM when I got out of work and just got it back. I won't know if it is fixed until I go for a long enough ride to encouter the issue. That said it would have been nice to know that all of my settings even the pairing of my cell phone were lost during this maintenance as I got a call while driving home and couldn't answer it thorugh the vehicle which was very distracting. I also lost all of my favotires / Home settings for the GPS so this looks like a complete reset of the MFT System. Here's to hoping that takes care of it. I will report back after I test.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So this issue has popped up again. This is after the software upgrade as well as the replacement of the GPS Module which seemed to resolve the issue for a while but now I am back to the GPS being off sometimes by small amounts and other times like today several streets off and getting worse depending on how long I drive.

So the question is what kind of recourse do I have? This is a HUGE Safety issue that showed up when I was using the Navigation System for what it is designed for - giving me directions to an address that I've never been to. It actually took me the wrong way off the highway and couldn't make up its mind in its "Off Route" messages and almost caused me to get in an accident trying to look at the screen and figure out where I was supposed to go.

I e-mailed Ford and they said that this is a known issue that they have NOT yet resolved on vehicles with the larger tires. They suggested I keep dealing with the dealer and they will eventually roll out a fix.

I am considering hiring a lawyer to get them to buy this back. Between the NAV having a mind of its own, the Voice Controls not working consistently and the mileage being so far over stated by Ford I am so sad that I've wasted my money on this POS.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on recourse?

So this issue has popped up again. This is after the software upgrade as well as the replacement of the GPS Module which seemed to resolve the issue for a while but now I am back to the GPS being off sometimes by small amounts and other times like today several streets off and getting worse depending on how long I drive.

So the question is what kind of recourse do I have? This is a HUGE Safety issue that showed up when I was using the Navigation System for what it is designed for - giving me directions to an address that I've never been to. It actually took me the wrong way off the highway and couldn't make up its mind in its "Off Route" messages and almost caused me to get in an accident trying to look at the screen and figure out where I was supposed to go.

I e-mailed Ford and they said that this is a known issue that they have NOT yet resolved on vehicles with the larger tires. They suggested I keep dealing with the dealer and they will eventually roll out a fix.

I am considering hiring a lawyer to get them to buy this back. Between the NAV having a mind of its own, the Voice Controls not working consistently and the mileage being so far over stated by Ford I am so sad that I've wasted my money on this POS.

Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions on recourse?

And herein lies the problem with depending too much on GPS. If I'm going somewhere I've never been I'll always at least look at the general layout of where I have to go on Google Maps before I ever even enter anything in my GPS. I don't want to be surprised by anything.

Similar problem with the F150 trucks that have changed tires to a larger size. The quickest and cheapest fix they found to work in almost every case has been to disconnect the battery for about 1/2 hour. I'm not sure if you changed your tire size, but this is worth a try.

Plenty of posts on the F150 forums about this actually working when the dealer service departments could not resolve the issue.

Edited by ls973800