Turn Signal Lever Hard To Move

I have always assumed that the incredibly stiff action of the electronic turn signal (multifunction) switch lever was just a lousy design. However, last week we rented a '13 Edge just like ours while on vacation and found that the turn signal lever moved very smoothly without the feeling that you had to push very hard to get it to stay on. It actually felt like a decent standard mechanical turn signal switch and not the electronic piece of crap I had been getting used to at home.

I doubt our dealer would take me seriously if I suggested that the hard to move lever is a warranty issue but a replacement switch is under $50 so I am tempted to just buy one and do it myself. My question is how do others find their T/S switch? Does it move smoothly to the fully engaged position or does it feel like you almost need two hands to get it past the detent?

I follow several other Ford model forums, and this has been mentioned over there also. However, it only seems to be affecting the 2013 models. I have the same problem with my 2013 Edge and the turn signal stalk. Perhaps it is a 2013 problem only due to a different supplier, etc. It sometimes feels like I am going to break something it is so hard to use. I have pretty much quit flashing the lights when using it by being a little more conscious when using it.

Here is a link to the Ford Explorer forum where someone has posted a fix for this problem. It involves doing some modifications to the turn signal module, but seems pretty straight forward. If in fact a new module is only $50.00 or so from the dealer, that may also be an option if you don't want to try the mod.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388119

Well, from Fordparts.com, the signal switch for 2011/2012 Edge/MKX, the switch costs $38.58 while for the 2013 Edge/MKX it costs $69.67. For 2014, it costs $28.65!!

So it seems the part is actually different (2011/2012, 2013 & 2014) and might not be interchangeable.

On my 2011 MKX, the high beam & "flash to pass" are both operated by pulling the lever, while it seems the 2013 & 2014 (reading the Owners Manual), have it as "Pull to flash to pass" & "Push" to turn on the high beams. So they are different.

I would love to know if the 2014 switch works in my car as I would really prefer the Pull/Push action compared to the Pull/Pull, and its not expensive.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

I follow several other Ford model forums, and this has been mentioned over there also. However, it only seems to be affecting the 2013 models. I have the same problem with my 2013 Edge and the turn signal stalk. Perhaps it is a 2013 problem only due to a different supplier, etc. It sometimes feels like I am going to break something it is so hard to use. I have pretty much quit flashing the lights when using it by being a little more conscious when using it.

Here is a link to the Ford Explorer forum where someone has posted a fix for this problem. It involves doing some modifications to the turn signal module, but seems pretty straight forward. If in fact a new module is only $50.00 or so from the dealer, that may also be an option if you don't want to try the mod.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388119

Thank you! That is extremely useful information and I think I will try the modification this weekend.

Well, from Fordparts.com, the signal switch for 2011/2012 Edge/MKX, the switch costs $38.58 while for the 2013 Edge/MKX it costs $69.67. For 2014, it costs $28.65!!

So it seems the part is actually different (2011/2012, 2013 & 2014) and might not be interchangeable.

On my 2011 MKX, the high beam & "flash to pass" are both operated by pulling the lever, while it seems the 2013 & 2014 (reading the Owners Manual), have it as "Pull to flash to pass" & "Push" to turn on the high beams. So they are different.

I would love to know if the 2014 switch works in my car as I would really prefer the Pull/Push action compared to the Pull/Pull, and its not expensive.

That's interesting because Levittown Ford (a sponsor here) listed the 2013 for the same $28.65 as you show the 2014. But you're right - Ford Parts shows them as different prices. I've looked at 2014 models in the showroom and there is no obvious difference from the '13 but I suppose there might be internal differences that make them incompatible. Or maybe the original '13 part supersedes to the new '14 part from a different supplier.

I was going to do the mod on my 2013 Edge when I first found the write up on the Explorer forum. Other things came up and it was put on the back burner for the time being.

Let us know if you do the mod and if you find anything different between the Explorer and the Edge module. I haven't had any luck trying to find a part number for each vehicle to see if they are the same.

Well we decided to give the dealer a try before doing the modification. Surprisingly, they agree that the switch is defective and should be replaced under warranty. Unfortunately, they also said that the demand has left the part on back-order. There are only four available across the country - all in individual dealers' inventory. They will try to secure one from one of those dealers but otherwise we will just have to wait until more stock becomes available.

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer installed the new switch on Tuesday and it is now much smoother like it should be. The difference is so dramatic that it really takes some time to get used to it.

Unfortunately, the service was shoddy and I have told them that we will not be returning to them for service or to buy any more vehicles and that they should refund the balance of the maintenance agreement we purchased with the vehicle. Don't get me wrong... mistakes happen and I would never take this action based on one (or even more) problems. But the service this time was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. They have messed up almost every time I have brought either the Mustang or the Edge to them for warranty repairs or maintenance. Having been in the automotive field for almost my entire career, I find the poor workmanship of the technicians and the lack of quality control totally unacceptable and the BS and lies from their personnel have reached new heights. </rant>

You are SO right! Reading posts here allowed me to cut through the BS when the service writer told me that replacing the switch was a two hour job (like it might be on old style T/S switches that require removing the steering wheel, etc.) and explain to him that it was a 0.6 hour job at most.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same problem on my 2013 Lincoln MKX, can hardly hardly use the turn signals without flashing the lights at the same time. Mentioned it twice to the dealer and each time they tell me there is nothing wrong. I am glad I to read here that there is a solution... but I rather buy a new switch than modifying the current one.

• 6 months later...