Who needs AWD?

bic

I'm puzzled by the popularity of AWD and just thought I'd throw this out for discussion. I ordered a FWD '08 Edge, and personally would never pay the extra initial cost, or incur the lower gas mileage and potential maintence problems that come from a whole extra drive train that is unnecessary.

True 4WD, with a low range, on a vehicle designed for off-road makes sense. I have owned 4WD pickups and wouldn't consider buying a truck that wasn't 4WD. But on a vehicle like the Edge or any other vehicle in it's class, AWD is just silly. In over 20 years of driving front wheel drive vehicles in New England winters, including many years when my house was up a mile long steep grade, there hasn't been a single time I needed it.

I say good for Ford for offering AWD if it helps them sell cars. They have to, since the competition does. But who really thinks they need it, and why? I know I'm an opinionated old goat, so tell me I'm wrong!

Bic

I too never got stuck in snow with front wheel drive or rear wheel drive for that matter. Maybe "delayed" but always managed to get it going no matter how deep or icy the roads were. I do believe however that it would be easier and "safer" to have the All wheel drive option. I and no doubt you have taken some chances on the road to keep those wheels turning.

And yes, I just leased an All wheel Drive Edge. My first all wheel or 4 wheel in 30 some odd years of driving. (I drive a tractor trailer for a living)

Have a great day

I may only need it twice a year in North Carolina, but I have to get to work no matter what the streets are like so it is more of an insurance, plus hopefully it will help with resale value. I imagine most of the AWD sales will be in the Northern or Mountain regions. I did find it seemed to drive a little better, but 0-60 times do suffer.

I love my Edge, and I have been a European buyer for the last 10 years, and I have to say Ford brought me into the showroom with the looks, and I ended up buying a SEL + AWD.

I know I'm an opinionated old goat, so tell me I'm wrong!

Okay ;) You're an old goat who secretely wants AWD, knows AWD is not needed 98% of the time, so you're questioning the sanity of the rest of us. It's all good, I can handle your envy :poke:

I live in AZ. I go off road. If I want snow, I go to Flagstaff, but in Phoenix? It's not about snow, it's about open space and unpaved roads. When there is a road. :rockon:

I may only need it twice a year in North Carolina, but I have to get to work no matter what the streets are like so it is more of an insurance, plus hopefully it will help with resale value. I imagine most of the AWD sales will be in the Northern or Mountain regions. I did find it seemed to drive a little better, but 0-60 times do suffer.

I love my Edge, and I have been a European buyer for the last 10 years, and I have to say Ford brought me into the showroom with the looks, and I ended up buying a SEL + AWD.

Hi there. A little off topic, but where in NC are you? I am in Goldsboro NC.

:)

Okay ;) You're an old goat who secretely wants AWD,

Lol! You may be onto something there Phoenix. :shades: Or at least trying to reassure myself I made the right decision! I still think I did, but I guess I can understand someone wanting the extra traction in those rare cases when it's needed.

I also belatedly found another thread in the forum discussing FWD vs AWD (where I probably should have posted this instead of starting a new topic). Anyway, someone there made an excellent point that if you are towing a boat up a slippery boat ramp, with the boat weight shifting the weight from the front, AWD might be very handy. Now that's a rational reason for buying AWD, but I don't have a boat, ...yet.

Well for me AWD is prefered because I tow a boat with it. I have got my old FWD Mariner stuck a few times trying to get the boat out on slick/muddy boat ramps. You only have to get stuck a few times to prefer AWD. Since a trailer puts more weight on the rear tires and tends to lift the front, I think AWD is a safer when towing especially when roads are wet.

Also, the 0-60mph might be a little slower with AWD, but it is the same WET OR DRY....

AWD also virtualy eliminates torque steer which I hate in most FWD cars.

I am very happy to give up a MPG or two to have the AWD in the few times I need it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm puzzled by the popularity of AWD and just thought I'd throw this out for discussion. I ordered a FWD '08 Edge, and personally would never pay the extra initial cost, or incur the lower gas mileage and potential maintence problems that come from a whole extra drive train that is unnecessary.

True 4WD, with a low range, on a vehicle designed for off-road makes sense. I have owned 4WD pickups and wouldn't consider buying a truck that wasn't 4WD. But on a vehicle like the Edge or any other vehicle in it's class, AWD is just silly. In over 20 years of driving front wheel drive vehicles in New England winters, including many years when my house was up a mile long steep grade, there hasn't been a single time I needed it.

I say good for Ford for offering AWD if it helps them sell cars. They have to, since the competition does. But who really thinks they need it, and why? I know I'm an opinionated old goat, so tell me I'm wrong!

Hi bic. :D Essentially. it is as simple as this: You are correct. "Most" people who will purchase an AWD vehicle will never really "need" it (the AWD).

That being said, there are people living in areas of the country/world who do/will need AWD.. In some cases it will just be to get them to work, because they have to get there no matter what. They do not have the luxury of staying home in a blizzard like the rest of us (Police, Firemen, Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics, Utility Workers, etc, etc.). All of the people who keep things running while most of us are home, safe and warm.

For others, they live in remote parts of the country where AWD just may mean the difference between living and dying if they are traveling and a severe storm hits. After all, there are parts of the country (great parts of the Southwest, the Rockies, the Northwest etc, etc.) where you can drive for a day without seeing another living soul. AWD may just give you that extra "EGDE" (pun intended) to get you where you need to be (or out of where you are). Otherwise, you get stuck, you may die. :rip:

No cell phone coverage, no convenience stores. I mean really remote, much different than New England or the Mid-Atlantic States.

Again, I agree with you that most people are spending money for no tangible benefit. But what the heck, that is a big part of car purchasing anyway. Let's face it, if we all bought what we "needed", we could all spend one third the money, and be driving subcompacts.

Good luck! :beerchug:

PS - As you can see, one of my cars is a 2007 MKZ. Factory ordered. FWD. Living in NJ, I could not justify the added cost and complexity, nor the lower fuel economy. But I would not tell anyone else they should not get AWD, if they want to pay for it. I also did not order the NAV System. I think it is a waste of money, others cannot live without it. Which opinion is correct? Both are!

Edited by bbf2530

The AWD model definitely drives better then the FWD. Its not just for snow, just making a right turn in the rain from a stop(or any fast start on wet roads) is a bid difference in the AWD. Its an incredibly competent system being able to divert all of the power to any one wheel at any time, and much more sophisticated the the the tradional 4WD systems. Any time the ground is not dry, AWD is superior to the FWD, and its not hard to make the FWD model feel particularly 'FWD' in the dry either. I only got one chance to drive it in a little snow so far, and its fantastic with AWD and the Advance Trac. The only thing you have to worry about in the snow is avoiding other idiots. I drive them all the time at the dealer, but when I started looking for myself, I drove both FWD/AWD for a few days each, both in the rain as well.

Now is it 100% necessary? No, but once you have it, you definitley don't want to go back. Its not great on gas either way, if it were a 10mpg gain I would see it being a big selling point to go FWD. Going from a 330HP Mustang to a CUV this time around(where 1/2" of throttle can induce wheelspin in the rain-forget snow), no way in hell am I not getting AWD. If im gonna drive a fat, tall vehicle, its going to drive the part as well. On dry pavement, the FWD is noticeably faster however, but you do get a hint of torque steer giving away the drive train, there's no confusion between the two. After driving a razor-sharp car, the AWD is a nice, sedate, and quiet blob of a car that goes through everything without giving you a bit of trouble-snow/sleet/rain/gravel-'no problem, sir, forward we shall go withhout protest'...

Edited by kevinb120

The AWD model definitely drives better then the FWD. Its not just for snow, just making a right turn in the rain from a stop(or any fast start on wet roads) is a bid difference in the AWD. Its an incredibly competent system being able to divert all of the power to any one wheel at any time, and much more sophisticated the the the tradional 4WD systems. Any time the ground is not dry, AWD is superior to the FWD, and its not hard to make the FWD model feel particularly 'FWD' in the dry either. I only got one chance to drive it in a little snow so far, and its fantastic with AWD and the Advance Track.

Now is it 100% necessary? No, but once you have it, you definitley don't want to go back. Its not great on gas either way, if it were a 10mpg gain I would see it being a big selling point to go FWD. Going from a 330HP Mustang to a CUV this time around(where 1/2" of throttle can induce wheelspin in the rain-forget snow), no way in hell am I not getting AWD. If im gonna drive a fat, tall vehicle, its going to drive the part as well.

Hi Kevin. :D Yes, that is why America is such a great country. We can all do/buy whatever we like, and whatever makes us happy (as long as we don't hurt anyone else :angel: )!

Good luck with your CUV (Edge, MKX?). :beerchug:

This is my 34th car(not including bikes and boats), I get used to everything(not to mention driving at least 20,000 other vehicles working in the car business for years)... Just this year alone, I have owned a 2006 mustang/2007 mustang/ and the 2007 edge. :)

Being single and getting sick of being followed around by LEO's for no reason whatsoever(at least when they are behind me), I decided to get a do-it-all vehicle for a while. Plus, endless modding and still getting bored each year with the car was getting old as I'm wasting too much time tinkering with the car. Hopefully the moonroof and awd will keep me interested for more then 10 months this time around. Its nice and stylish, and very functional, without being expensive. It also keeps me humble in traffic, with the $2000+ speeding fines in VA thats all I need is yet another reckless driving ticket. It 'naturally' cruises around 60-70mph, where I would just be shifting into 3rd at 70 in the Mustang, 4th at 110....I had to sell the bike for the same reason. And I can take home anything on the lot, used Range Rover, Expedition EL limited, whatever. But 3 years with no tickets for a change is a new record for me, I need to keep a low profile a while, and I had just ordered a Bullitt for myself two weeks ago....

Edited by kevinb120

Are you braggin' or complainin'?? Sounds like the poor little rich kid syndrome to me. Sorry, dude, no sympathy here. As someone who lives in a neighboring state, I personally hope Virginia triples the reckless driving fines, and, starts really enforcing them. I doubt it will happen, but, it would be nice to see someone like you pay the big price.

I'm just saying I'm sick of sports cars. And I've never gotten a dime from anybody since was 16(1985), well except $40 from grandma on Christmas :) FWD is fine overall, but after driving hypersensitive RWD cars in a four-season state, I wants my AWD this time. And I don't see much wrong with putting 2-3 new American cars on the road each year myself, not to mention the 150-200 new Fords I sell, I could of just as easily bought an X3 and make more money selling Toyotas... And wtf is the 'poor little rich kid' shit, this isn't a Ferrari forum, its a $35 per month, $1.15/day option.

Edited by kevinb120

I agree. One has to know how to drive in the snow to begin with. Having AWD or a 4x4 doesn't do a damn bit of good if you don't have the skills necessary to drive in the snow, and, after 37 years of driving, I can honestly say that the majority of the schmucks out there today don't have a clue as to what to do.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you didn't MEAN to rub me the wrong way.

Assuming you're something around 51 (cause you wouldn't do anything illegal and you don't parse like you're from Idaho), you're not old enough to have the inflexible "nothing is as good as it used to be" mentality you're choosing to display.

I am from the Wasatch Front. I can, did and choose to no longer drive in the snow. I even did a stint in the wicked wiles of Wisconsin just for fun. And then permanently beat it for Phoenix.

Why live in it when you can visit it? :shades:

AWD on wet pavement and puddles blows the doors off any vehicle I've ever owned. Publicly humiliates any vehicle I've ever rented (excepting the Toureg from May this year). I'm nowhere near the eggs spert that the guy above me is. I'm merely comparing a Honda Accord, Mazda MX-6, Explorer 4WD XLT, Nissan Maxima, Saab 2000 Turbo, Datsun 210, Datsun King Kab , Taurus and --- forgetting something --- oh yes --- all 100+ of those rental cars over the years. I travel for business. What some people would refer to as "a lot".

It flat out rocks. :rockon:

It's worth a mile per gallon.

And there you are...whether you can drive in it, flex with it, deal with it...or not.

I think the question should be why not AWD? Sure you can get by without it but if it is avaiable why not get it. Its kinda like comparing dial up internet and highspeed internet, you dont need the highspeed internet, but its just better. Yeah it costs more but you get more.

This winter alone has paid for the option of AWD here in the Norteast. I use to drive compact FWD cars and when it snowed sure I could go somewhere and usually got to where I was going but it wasn't always easy or the smartest thing to take a civic out in 10"inches of snow. But with the Edge I never have a doubt and get where I need to be.

I guess you can compare it to Standard def TV and HD TV, I don't need HD but things are just better in HD. I dont need AWD but things are just better in AWD :shift: .

Well here's a kick in the ass for you. We ordered a FWD Edge after driving in a friends FWD Limited. Last night during some light sleet our friend slid off the road and totaled his Edge (no one injured). After talking to him today on the phone I immediately called my Ford Dealer and let him know were looking for an AWD instead of the FWD. If he cant locate one locally he'll just change our order. Im figuring that in the next two years ill have small children so the extra bit of sure footed assurance on slippery roads will be good. Who needs AWD? Maybe this guy, who's going to be married and plans to have a family before getting a different vehicle...