k&n drop in filter

2011edgese

Anyone put this in their car? I thinking of doing it, found the filter online for 32$. Called 2 dealers to ask them if I void the warranty putting this oil type filter. Both said that it's a GREAT filter and that it would NOT void the warranty. And to be careful on not over oiling it due to sensors fails if you do.

So now I'm leaning more into buying it since it does not void the power train warranty. I read tons online and it's about a 50/50 on how good it is but let's in fine dust inside the engine that turns the oil dark. But some claim is the best filter they ever bought, and it has giving then a slight bump in the throttle response and slight 1 or 2 miles a gallon increase. Other said it had given then a slight bump in throttle response but dropped their mpg 1 or 2.

So. .. How does it fare on Ford edges? Particularly the 2011 edge se since that's what I have. But any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by 2011edgese

Won't do any damage as long as you do not overoil the filter. Then it could possibly contaminate the MAF sensor, leading to degraded engine performance. Difference is in sound, not huge, but it is there. Performance wise don't expect anything. You have to have an intake system at the very least, and to maximize its' value, a matching catback system.

Yup.... thats what I read. But people claim about 1to 2 hp increase. And slight increase in throttle response. Just for installing it. Very minor. .. But if true, I buy. So just wondering if any of you guys actually bought it and saw that difference. There's a data study on it, showing absolutely destroying those claims. But it was done on older cars. And done techs claim on newer computer controlled efi cars, it does not matter how much more air flow there is.

• 1 month later...

I've been using drop in K&N filters for many years on all my cars. Very satisfied although it would be difficult to measure any definite advantage. Just like to optimize mileage and performance with something inexpensive if you keep the car for a while.

One thing I noticed is that its more effort to install on my Edge since I need to remove the entire intake box cover and hose connection as the K&N rubber frame seems a bit thicker and denser material. No big deal, just a little more work.

Yeah.... Pretty much agree with everyone. It is a feel good thing. But everyone can't say that they got more power by just installing it. Im going to steer away from buying it. I don't want to deal with the oiling to renew it. And don't want to risk the map sensor or dirty the oil. I just bought the paper style filter. Easy and not that expensive.

Edited by 2011edgese

• 1 month later...

I used both K&N drop-in filters and K&N CAI's for years on many of my cars. I've cleaned/re-oiled the filters at the recommended intervals and never, ever had a problem with over-oiling and/or damage to the MAF. It's just a matter of not spraying on too much oil, and then letting the filter sit for a sufficient amount of time to allow the cotton gauze to fully absorb all of the oil that has been applied.

Not sure how much actual HP I've gained in the vehicles with K&N's, but my "butt dyno" usually notices a slight difference. The biggest bonus for these in my opinion is the fact that you never have to buy another air filter as long as you own the vehicle. The cost of the K&N filter vs. replacement paper filters is usually recouped in a few years, depending on your driving habits and environments.

Can someone explain the oiling part? Should a stock filter be oiled also? or at least at the edges?

Has anyone noticed a difference in engine sound?

The oiling is required in order for the filter to remain "sticky" to catch dirt going through the filter. Paper filters do not and should not be oiled as they are a finer material that collects the dirt on its own. The K&N filters add power by allowing more airflow into the engine due to the material being more porous.

If the filter is being placed inside the stock air intake enclosure, any sound change will likely be minimal. The only time you really notice much change in tone is if you switch to the open element type of filter.

• 3 months later...

I use K&N air filters in several vehicles over the last 15 years. I have used in the same vehicle for as long as 10 years.

I always assume that the increase in HP and/ or MPG, if any, is minimal.

I have yet to have a sensor failure.

My practice is to oil lightly and clean more often.

• Like 1

I would love to put in a CAI or even use the drop in. Just from what I have seen sounds meaner. Problem I see is on a dyno, no true benefit after spending that much coin. Also, as many miles I drive annually, I am worried would give me a heavier foot!!!! Would probably get better MPG switching out the stock 22"s

I would love to put in a CAI or even use the drop in. Just from what I have seen sounds meaner. Problem I see is on a dyno, no true benefit after spending that much coin. Also, as many miles I drive annually, I am worried would give me a heavier foot!!!! Would probably get better MPG switching out the stock 22"s

Did you really put it on a dyno? What we're the numbers?