What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

I would like to report that I am making another repair video, but nothing needs repaired on the Orange Crush. 5 tanks of gas and 1500 miles. Just another week for the ole Orange Crush. Burning through this oil change in one month, going to be a busy summer.

• Like 1

And another monthly oil change. Rather uneventful operation for the Orange Crush. If time works out I will get the Tranny fluid replaced. Going to change the 2011 oil at the Army Base tomorrow. Wife complaining about a change oil light.

• Like 1

MG productions hard at work. 2011 oil change was not much to do with this but hey we will put it out there for those interested. I however did get a bonus video done on the flush of the Orange Crush Transmission. The Owner of the shop decided to participate in the video so this will also be included as he scolds me on my frequency of transmission fluid changes. LOL

• Like 1

It is and as a Bonus you have to watch the entire oil change video as I specifically call out Akirby!!!! Just razzing him on K&N filters LOL

Hope that "scolding"'s on tape there, mac! That alone will be worth the price of admission ;)

• Like 1

Wheel speed sensor?

Got a brake question on the 2011? Let me know what this is?

Actually on closer inspection, it looks like an axle shaft damper like so:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-Brake-Rear-Caliper-Mount-Damper-Left-Side-One-Only-Factory-BT4Z-4A263-A-/121422643537

Ā 

$_12.JPG$_12.JPG

Ā 

I believe this link at NAPA explains the function:

http://www.napabrakes.com/magnoliaPublic/home/products/hardware/low-frequency-dampers.html

Ā 

LOW FREQUENCY DAMPERS
New low frequency dampers from NAPA Brakes help to eliminate the ā€œmoans,ā€ ā€œgroansā€ and ā€œsquealsā€ common to the rear calipers of certain applications. NAPA Brakes low frequency dampers incorporate a unique sound and energy absorbing compound that is scientifically ā€˜tunedā€™ to the frequency found on the applications shown. Low frequency dampers from NAPA are easy to install and are another excellent addition to The Perfect Brake JobĀ®. Offer this brake noise solution to your customers experiencing rear caliper brake noise.

DamperOnCaliperRetouch2.jpg

LowFrequencyDamperFlyerNBLFD12.pdf

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 2

Apparently only the 2011 and 2012 received this according to the parts guide. I wonder if newer model year Edge's have them? Or was this a one off situation and then not used again? It looks like you can simply replace it with the standard pin if you do not wish to keep it on your vehicle.

Edited by macbwt

Just curious does this part fail? and how would one figure out that it failed or is it a useful life service and replace part? Not much to go on with this part and the description. How do I inspect it to see if it needs replacement or confirm it is working? Time to hit the road and give the tranny a some drive time with the new fluid. I pulled out my shoulder working on the 2011 and spent the rest of the weekend nursing it. Must be getting old.

Edited by macbwt

I find that if I don't hit a steep hill, going at 1500 rpm at 40 instead of 1000 rpm allows the rpms to stay steady for that uphill ride (for a short while anyway). If I hit that hill at 1000 rpm, it will surely rev up to 2500 rpm to downshift and maintain that speed. So if you can find that sweet spot in the power band for your speed & gear, you can probably avoid shifting till necessary if NOT on cruise control :)

I might not of mentioned it but, I was going down hill.

I find that if I don't hit a steep hill, going at 1500 rpm at 40 instead of 1000 rpm allows the rpms to stay steady for that uphill ride (for a short while anyway). If I hit that hill at 1000 rpm, it will surely rev up to 2500 rpm to downshift and maintain that speed. So if you can find that sweet spot in the power band for your speed & gear, you can probably avoid shifting till necessary if NOT on cruise control :)

Got a wiggle up front. Not sure if the Drivers side ball joint is no showing the wear and tear or inner tie rod. I will have to lift it up and check that ball joint on the drivers side. Only has about 50k on it, but then again the passenger side only had about 60K on it when I replaced it.

sigh. Nothing to do and nothing to fix. Orange Crush just running without a miss. I wonder if Ford Service follows this post?

Ā 

No repair videos this weekend as I said above. I guess MercyGirl will have to figure out what to do with the extra time this weekend other than yard work. LOL

• Like 1

Thought I would put together a video of a short work day for the Orange Crush. 14 minutes covering one day (less than 100 miles) local job and then done in time to pick up MercyGirl from work (school). Time lapse dash cam video. Will post it soon.