What to expect at 200,000+ miles

macbwt

Great, first thing to do before replacing my rear shocks is to empty the back of my car into my garage. Have to do this because I have to be able to remove both left and right rear quarter panels in order to access the top of the shocks to remove and install them. Let the fun begin. Unfortunately MercyGirl has to go to work today (her description for going to school) so it will be just me working the video and working on the orange crush. stand by for an interesting video.

All done with the rear shock replacement and install, mounted the summer tires and had the alignment done. Total cost was roughly 240.00 as I had the mounting and alignment done at a shop. Oh yeah. A wave to the guy who installed my last set of rear shocks (butt head) thanks for cross threading the nuts you blooming idiot. Time was an issue today so went with faster but for more money. Still not a bad price for all of it. I did discover the power steering rack is not leaking but seeping. very wet all around the seal are on the passenger side. Something to plan for and not really sure I want to do this, but will investigate and maybe employe assistance when the time arrives. Anyway. Get ready for another MG production. Yes she will voice the intro just because the contract states she does the intro and ending. What can I say...... will post once the video is processed and uploaded. Stay tuned.

Ā 

Bonus for me no wheel bearing noise. Those Bridgestone Dueler H/L ecopias are pretty quiet.

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

Rides better. Goes straight and feels better going down the road. Big improvement. I am pretty sure the front struts will need to be addressed after the LCA on the drivers side is taken care of. I love the quiet ride with the summer tires. MercyGirl has made her official voice intro and closing credits stay tuned. Video is being rendered then it will be uploaded. I think this will be another FIRST Ford Edge video DIY for removal and installation of rear shocks.

How's the ride feel now with the new shocks & alignment? I'll be looking closely at the post-production credits :hat_tip:

Edited by macbwt
  • Like 1

I don't see a Quick Strut offering for the Edge. This is what the e-catalog says:

Ā 

Monroe Suspension parts for Monroe.com
Last Updated 03-01-2015 spacer.gif 2008 - Ford Edge
HIGHLIGHTED part numbers indicate premium products.

spacer.gif

Front Shocks & Struts
Vehicle Qualifier Notes Location Product Line Part Qtyinfo_icon.gif
Premium - Limited Lifetime Warranty Front Left OESpectrum Strut info_icon.gif 72270 1
Premium - Limited Lifetime Warranty Front Right OESpectrum Strut info_icon.gif 72269 1
Front Suspension Components & Accessories
Front Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit info_icon.gif 906962 2
Front Upper Strut-Mate Coil Spring Insulator info_icon.gif 907948 2
Rear Shocks & Struts
Premium - Limited Lifetime Warranty Rear OESpectrum Light Truck Shock Absorber info_icon.gif 37302 2
Lift Supports
Liftgate N/A Max-Lift Lift Support info_icon.gif 901848 2
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

My right front strut bearing mount is groaning (no better description) it has about 55k on it now with the left front having 45k. They will need replacement later this summer and I was hoping to just pop a quick strut in, but I guess the video will be of me completely reworking the whole thing. I am seriously considering two new springs as the originals have got to have some fatigue on them by now. Who knows I may end up having to replace the rack and pinion. Which may be the opportunity to do everything at once. Or it could be mechanical suicide. completely ripping apart the entire suspension and steering? What you think one thing at a time or just dive in and pray along the way.

I think the after market folks are after the younger ones and those small fast cars. Not seeing too many younger ones going crazy over the Ford Edge. I will stick with OEM. The rack and pinion company I was looking at says they rebuild and sell OEM remanufactured rack and pinions. Not an after market system. Guess the quality of their remans is the question.

Ever wonder what happens when a mechanic test drives your car? As most of you know I have a dashcam. This mechanic was oblivious to the dashcam and it of course records audio and video. He had some interesting conversations with himself. I assume some of it directed at my Ford Edge. He must be more accustomed to driving a BMW M5 or something like that as he did not appreciate my rather worn Ford Edge.

Ā 

Gas cap light turned off about a week ago. I did nothing to it. No light means smooth flying. Not a worry in the world. LOL. Who in the world turns left on a busy interstate!!! what an idiot I almost hit!!!! Figures he is from Illinois probably lost.

Gas cap light turned off about a week ago. I did nothing to it. No light means smooth flying. Not a worry in the world. LOL. Who in the world turns left on a busy interstate!!! what an idiot I almost hit!!!! Figures he is from Illinois probably lost.

Ā 

Hey, I resemble that remark! lol

Ā 

• Like 1

Here ya go Prinzel for all those Illinois drivers. wont let me upload the mpg4 video only 3mg but says it does not allow that type of video. What no pole dancing allowed shhheeesshhhhh moderators and their rules.

Edited by macbwt

Interesting note: When I first bought the Orange Crush I did a standing start with it and hit 117 before I had to shut down. I also found it interesting that it did not shift into sixth gear until 106 mph. The rated est. speed of the ford edge is 135+ mph not so sure about stability with this body design at that speed. Note for safety don't try this unless you have access to a controlled area (i.e. drag strip)

But you will need good brakes!!! As they say objects in mirror are closer than they appear. The end of the line at a drag strip approaches very quickly. Oh hit something else today with the Orange Crush. No damage but that is one less crow in Iowa.

Good to know we don't need an airport runway to get to 117 mph ;)