What troubles have you had?

I8ACHEVY

I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Edge since Feb 2007. I've got 13,000 mi on it and really haven't had that much wrong until just recently. Someone mentioned they had problems with their locks. Me, too! However, mine just won't UNLOCK sometimes when it's a bit cold out there. (Well, OK, under 10 degrees F....which has been pretty much all of 2008). There are times when I hit the unlock on the key and the lock will go up and down quickly several times, like a machine gun. Other times, it won't come up at all and I have to go through another door and open it from the inside. How embarassing. It's not that the door is frozen shut, the latch just won't release. Our Ford dealer ordered the parts a couple weeks ago but they were on "national backorder". Not sure if that means this was happening alot to other Edge owners. Anyway, it just got fixed on Friday....we'll see how it goes.

My "latest" issue (and really, only other issue) is one that I think may be a TSB. The front end will make a horrific noise when I make turn. It sounds like a big steel ship creaking. Luckily, it doesn't do it very long and it does it only once during a driving session.

I posted this on another Edge forum as well...my apologies to those who may have deja vu on this one :shades:

I took home a brand new 2008 Edge on Valentine's day. Have fallen in love with it...HOWEVER...

On Saturday we drove it somewhere in the morning and when we went to leave, the car would not turn over. The music was on, lights, etc, so it wasn't the battery. We called the dealership and someone came out and tried to jump start it (which didn't work and the guy agreed it was definitely not the battery).

I don't know if he was trying to get an error code, or what, but he kept turning the key (which made a clicking sound) and looking at the gauges. This made smoke come out of engine. The only thing we found was a small plastic cap that said 12v on it (it wasn't from the battery because all the pieces were there and it was too small to be that), but that wasn't hot to the touch or melted (terrible smell though!).

Anyway, they gave us a loner for the weekend and on Monday I called the dealership and was told by the service tech that it's a bad starter...never heard of a new car having this issue, but I guess it's possible the part was bad when it was built??? . I really love the vehicle so I'm hoping it's just a fluke and not a serious issue. I really can't think of another comparable vehicle I would choose as a replacement :cry:

We have had our edge for about 4 months and it has 2500 miles on it and here is what problems we have had:

>burning smell.............seal replaced first then Ptu replaced only onced so far

>moisture in booth taill lights.............replaced.

>a pilar moulding not installed right, not connnected to dash....... replaced.

>driver seat sqeaking

>drivers door sqeaking

and a new one as of today. Klunking in the front end going over bumps. So loud once that we thought the front wheels were going to fall off. I dont belive that i have heard anyone having this problem on here yet. If anyone has... what was the problem and what was the outcome? The edge is going BACK in the shop tomorrow 4 times in 4 months, not a bad ratio.

Reply:

I HAD THAT EXACT PROBLEM!!! When I'd turn to the left mostly it would squeel when I accelerate!!! My boyfriend and I put oil in her engine and it seemed to have stopped, the thing is her oil light didn't alert us to the fact she needed any oil, which is weird! Her engine light came on and that's why we put in oil? The second month I had my Edge it started to jerk, felt like a transmission problem, and its still doing it! She's in the garage now for overheating!!!! Has anyone tried getting a report from carfax.com on their Edge? I see that there are 2 reports on mine but I can't buy them because I don't live in the USA:-(

________________________________________________________________________________

_____

I'm new to this forum, but I've had my Edge since Feb 2007. I've got 13,000 mi on it and really haven't had that much wrong until just recently. Someone mentioned they had problems with their locks. Me, too! However, mine just won't UNLOCK sometimes when it's a bit cold out there. (Well, OK, under 10 degrees F....which has been pretty much all of 2008). There are times when I hit the unlock on the key and the lock will go up and down quickly several times, like a machine gun. Other times, it won't come up at all and I have to go through another door and open it from the inside. How embarassing. It's not that the door is frozen shut, the latch just won't release. Our Ford dealer ordered the parts a couple weeks ago but they were on "national backorder". Not sure if that means this was happening alot to other Edge owners. Anyway, it just got fixed on Friday....we'll see how it goes.

My "latest" issue (and really, only other issue) is one that I think may be a TSB. The front end will make a horrific noise when I make turn. It sounds like a big steel ship creaking. Luckily, it doesn't do it very long and it does it only once during a driving session.

Reply:

I feel ya on that!!! Here's a clearer breakdown of EVERY issue I've had so far!

- Annoying jerk, especially while in Traffic, began at 2 months

- Squealing when I'd turn left and accelerate

- Pulling to the left sometimes

- Airconditioning started chipping out, beginning Nov 07

- Accelerated on me in traffic WHILE MY FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE!!!!!

- Overheated, 4 weeks ago

- Overheated, last week wednesday, electrical default

She's in the shop, but if anything else happens I'll let you all know!

Our Edge was pulling to the right on straight roads. We adjusted tire pressures, but it eventually went into the Service Dept. They spun the strut plates 180* and it solved the problem. Now she drives straight and true on all roads. Took a full day for Ford to get it done.

• 1 month later...

I have 2008 edge ltd with 2100 miles on it I have brought it into the dealer 3 times for the same problem,there is a creaking type noise sounding like it is coming from the dashboard area,the dealer said they have taken the lower part of the dash board apart and have done other things as well ,they also sprayed some kind of lubricant in between all the seams of the dash board which did not solve the problem but made the car smell horrible,I brought it in today for the 4th time and told them not to call me until it is fixed properly,

• 1 month later...

2008 Edge.50 miles .Going back to the shop 2cd time for engine light and stall issue. LISTEN UP FORD! IF THIS IS THE BEST YOU CAN OFFER OUR FAMILY FOR OUR HARD EARNED(AND DIMINISHING) WAGES, our family will be parting ways with you.We have leased and bought probably10 new rides from you.Probably more...I am starting to ask myself ...why? I try to support the Michigan home team...But what is in it for me? You build the thing in Canada, all you auto company's are slashing wages to the point that nobody will be able to afford your product.We just got rid of an Explorer that had some serious issues including 3 trips to get a radiator replaced that at first we were told was fine.We also got to pay 250 bucks for new tires at 13,000 miles.And a spark plug issue.I really hope the edge we have is just a fluke.But I know the law, and if that pos goes back the 3rd time, FORD, mark my words, you will get it back.Either the easy way, or the hard way.And the hard way will cost you some money for sure.Our salesman was top drawer and we love him.The service Dept, has a little to be desired , because they think its not a problem to fix brand new cars.I think its a real big problem to fix brand new cars.This is the 3rd day our edge has not served its purpose of safely transporting us to our employment.Isnt that why we lease a new vehicle? To avoid problems? I will keep posting as to the outcome.But as for now, if I could justify it, there would be a Toyota or Honda in our drive. We fell like we are stupid for having a Ford.

Support Ford and buy one of the other FoMoCo cars... they're better. (CX-9 is the better Edge, same core, but different everything)

Volvo/Mazda, the DNA from those two is mostly found on the Fusion, which has stellar reliability.

We're trading in the Edge at the end of the year for a used sport 08' CX-9, those engines are built in Japan, different transmission, no huge issues like the Edge, or widespread quality control problems(bad paint, wheels, etc.).

Honda and Toyota have issues too with the new Accord and Civic, issues with the Camry, Tundra...

Edited by CreamEDGE.

In roughly 2000 miles (5.22.08):

-User Device defaults back to "Line In" rather than the previously used "USB" (sometimes randomly works most times not at all, listed as issue for others elsewhere on web) - not corrected but pray it will be in an update

-No paint around .5" lip of drivers side hood edge - corrected

-paint job in general questionable at best - not corrected and never will be, just living with it

-annoying creek (velcro it seems) in 2nd row passenger side ceiling - not corrected yet, will at first service

-seat memory button for passenger failed - not corrected yet, will at first service

-rolls back a bit excessive on hills - not corrected yet, will have them look into TSB for this issue at next service

The wife just passed 7K miles since Dec 2007. I changed the oil for the second time and did a visual inspection.

Not one thing to complain about, and I AM a complainer when I have to be.

No leaks, no thumps, bumps, creaks, or groans. Paint is excellent, painted wheels have just a little brake dust, no problems. BAMR slides well, no leaks, and moderate wind noise, but it IS a BAMR!

Seats are comfortable, driving is pleasant. No rollback, no unintended acceleration, wheel alignment is fine, tracks well. Tranny shifts well for a 'nothing special' 6 speed. Nav works as intended, Synch works fine with T-Mobile.

Wife drives 25 miles round trip city and avg 18-19 MPG. Last 600 mile trip south avg 23-24 mpg.

I do not normally like dealers, so I just got my first free oil change at 4K and don't what to see them again. The free oil change was a HARD sell for other services and $$ for 'fees'. Fees on a free oil change?? Sorry, Mr. Dealer, you won't see me soon.

So on the whole, I must of got a good one.

Our Edge with 250 miles on it is back in the Dealer for the 3rd time.The stalling issue seems to be resolved, but the wrench light keeps coming on. I was determined to make Ford take it back, but the Dealership is so damn nice, and the deal we got was really good, so we are going to deal with it. It is really a NICE car.Sucks that it is needing repair, but putting it into perspective , its a minor issue.Annoying, but minor.

Support Ford and buy one of the other FoMoCo cars... they're better. (CX-9 is the better Edge, same core, but different everything)

Volvo/Mazda, the DNA from those two is mostly found on the Fusion, which has stellar reliability.

We're trading in the Edge at the end of the year for a used sport 08' CX-9, those engines are built in Japan, different transmission, no huge issues like the Edge, or widespread quality control problems(bad paint, wheels, etc.).

Honda and Toyota have issues too with the new Accord and Civic, issues with the Camry, Tundra...

What issues are they having with the Toyotas and Hondas? I havent heard about it. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit 10k miles and the only issues I have had have been pretty minor and have had no problem getting them resolved.

1. Driver side b-pillar trim outer seperated from inner.

2. 18" chrome clad wheels replaced.

3. ABS sensor replaced.

Overall we are very happy with our Edge and other than not having much faith that these wheels aren't going to peel also, have no complaints.

Just hit 10k miles and the only issues I have had have been pretty minor and have had no problem getting them resolved.

1. Driver side b-pillar trim outer seperated from inner.

2. 18" chrome clad wheels replaced.

3. ABS sensor replaced.

Overall we are very happy with our Edge and other than not having much faith that these wheels aren't going to peel also, have no complaints.

I was wondering what the symptoms of the failed ABS sensor were?

I've had the odd time where my ABS activate under normal braking on dry pavement. Dealer said no fault found.

I've had the no fault found on the ABS system. It only happened once and I was taking it for the not so "free" 1st oil change. I've not taken it back to the dealer for the 2nd and 3rd oil changes because of lack of respect for my Edge that day. The mechanic got in and drove it around to the garage with the hood up. I was hot!!!

I do have the problem with the roll back on hills/ Mountains. My first road trip was to Branson, MO. I felt like I was driving a stick shift up a hill.

• 2 weeks later...
Just over 7k miles on the wifes Edge and no major issues. We also had the trim on the Vista roof come loose.

The biggest thing I have now is when filling the Edge with gas it will not fill all the way. When the gas pump shuts off there is only about 3/4 of a tank. I thought it was the pump/station I was using. I switched gas stations and the same thing. The dealer looked it over thinking the vent pipe was plugged or kinked and it was all good. So no fix yet. I just have to put the pump on the first notch to get it to fill all the way. Kind of a pain, but at least it's not a 40 gallon tank like my F250.

There is a TSB for the fuel guage not being accurate. Could the guage be off?

08 Limited with 1k miles.

Fuel gauge would jump from little under half full to empty. Found this out in the middle of a road trip. Family was in the middle of I-8 in AZ desert and the car suddenly starts beeping that fuel level is low. Wife is giving me the why didn't we stop for gas look and the baby starts crying. We made it 80 miles to the next gas station and I fill up but only get little over 9 gallons in. I am thinking no way Ford puts a 10 gallon tank in a SUV, but hey we made it to Gas station. Take it to the dealer after we get home but they can't find anything wrong. So we drive it around a while and then it jumps to empty again and take it in for dealer to see. They just replaced the fuel gauge cluster so hope that fixes the problem.

We also had a problem with the memory seats not always going to the preset spot. They said they fixed that as well, but couldn't tell me what they did.

There is a TSB for the fuel guage concern. A baffle is moving inside the tank resulting in an inaccurate reading. It is a fairly simple fix with no parts needed. They need to pull out the back seat and remove the sending unit, then bend the baffle back in place. I did this myself in less than the 1.7 hours the Ford mechanics get paid to do it.

We have had our edge for about 4 months and it has 2500 miles on it and here is what problems we have had:

>burning smell.............seal replaced first then Ptu replaced only onced so far

>moisture in booth taill lights.............replaced.

>a pilar moulding not installed right, not connnected to dash....... replaced.

>driver seat sqeaking

>drivers door sqeaking

and a new one as of today. Klunking in the front end going over bumps. So loud once that we thought the front wheels were going to fall off. I dont belive that i have heard anyone having this problem on here yet. If anyone has... what was the problem and what was the outcome? The edge is going BACK in the shop tomorrow 4 times in 4 months, not a bad ratio.

As far as te klunking noise, you could have a broken sway bar link, they are kind of wimpy.

Hi-

I must admit I do a lot of driving and I love my 2007 EDGE and have very few problems but I was shocked today when I was told with 32k miles that I need the front and rear brakes replaced to the tune of $850.00 GULP..The Service Manager blamed it on the amount of miles in a year and 4 months... I brough the car in as mentioned by a previous poster because at 40+ miles per/hr the car and steering wheel shook. Could this be design flaw? I plan on contacting Ford to make a complaint. Rotors are warped and need to be replaced and are affecting the brake pads... To top it off they did not have the parts in stock as the dealership has not had an EDGE with this many miles on it... What I am in for????? Any similar stories?

I was wondering what the symptoms of the failed ABS sensor were?

I've had the odd time where my ABS activate under normal braking on dry pavement. Dealer said no fault found.

When mine failed I had several lights that would illuminate on the dash on and off and then the next day they stayed on.