NAV Install, Factory v. Dealership, OEM system.

Hi everyone:

Turns out the dealer screwed up my order...left out the NAV system (just got my window sticker courtesy of you!)...of course, they also added power lift and Sirius, instead...weird.

So, the floor manager tells me that the Factory installed NAV system can be done at their dealership...full functionality, full warranty, no biggie.

Is this true? Can the NAV system be installed at the Ford dealer, factory quality, hooked in with he speakers and SYNC and everything? I do want to get what I pay for.

Thanks!

Hi everyone:

Turns out the dealer screwed up my order...left out the NAV system (just got my window sticker courtesy of you!)...of course, they also added power lift and Sirius, instead...weird.

So, the floor manager tells me that the Factory installed NAV system can be done at their dealership...full functionality, full warranty, no biggie.

Is this true? Can the NAV system be installed at the Ford dealer, factory quality, hooked in with he speakers and SYNC and everything? I do want to get what I pay for.

Thanks!

You'd better verify with your dealer that they are going to install a FACTORY nav system. On my 2007 F-150, they THOUGHT they could do this, but later found out they couldn't. I'd also verify the system they install will mate with the Sync system....and that the steering wheel controls are the same.

You'd better verify with your dealer that they are going to install a FACTORY nav system. On my 2007 F-150, they THOUGHT they could do this, but later found out they couldn't. I'd also verify the system they install will mate with the Sync system....and that the steering wheel controls are the same.

Thanks. mate:

From what I've been told, the SYNC does not interface with the NAV system,....does someone know differently?

Thanks. mate:

From what I've been told, the SYNC does not interface with the NAV system,....does someone know differently?

Sync is head unit specific. If you have Nav, it is closely coupled with it.

By the way, adding nav at the dealer, using the OEM setup, is impossible. If it was me, I would not take the vehicle unless it has all the correct options. Getting a vehicle ordered correctly is a minimum dealer expectation

Rodger

2008 Edge Limited

2007 MKX

While I can not comment on whether you can swap a Navigation system for a non-Navigation one in a 2008 vehicle (in some cases you can and some not). I can tell you that SYNC will automatically adapt to the headunit your car is equiped with. If your dealer swaps the non-Nav for a Navigation headunit in your car, all they have to do is restart SYNC and it work just fine.

Then the swap will be possible. I stand corrected.

While I can not comment on whether you can swap a Navigation system for a non-Navigation one in a 2008 vehicle (in some cases you can and some not). I can tell you that SYNC will automatically adapt to the headunit your car is equiped with. If your dealer swaps the non-Nav for a Navigation headunit in your car, all they have to do is restart SYNC and it work just fine.

Hi everyone:

Thanks!

I just went through this this weekend. They had exactly what i wanted on the lot, minus the nav. I wanted the nav for sure so we had to figure out if it could be done.

From what i was told they found out....you can NOT install sync in a vehicle that does not have it already. so if it does not have sync already, the can not install the nav. but if your vehicle currently has sync, they can for sure install the nav system with in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Factory nav can be added to any Edge If the dealership knows what they are doing it's 100% idiot proof, with the exception of the 08's W/Sync. I have yet to see this happen myself but have heard of glitches in the system after a nav unit has been installed. The hoops I have jumped through to get the Sync to work properly after swapping form a 6 Disc to Nav unit have been nothing even close to repowering the sync!

I don't know if this is accepted here, and please accept my apoligies if it's not. I install these for a fair price and can pre-program these and ship the Nav units if anyone is interested. This can only be done on non-sync Edges since I need the truck to program the other modules to make it work properly if it's Sync Equipped

NEW programmed Nav unit

Gps Antenna

I can supply the Nav disc but you can order one yourself for the same price!

installation on a Edge takes less than a hour for the unexperienced and is a 15 minute job for the experienced!

• 2 months later...
I am looking at getting an Edge with Nav and have gone through the "build your Edge" steps on the Ford site and it will not let you have Nav without the Vista roof. I do not want the vista roof but do want Nav. Why are those tied together?

Hi ylf. :D Sometimes, options are bundled together. I did not go to the site to try and verify your concern, but if that is the only way the Navigation system is available, that is just the way it is.

I would recommend that you check with your local dealer to see if the information on the website is up to date. Sometmes, the website is a bit out of date. At this point, that would be your hope.

Good luck! :beerchug:

I tried a bunch of option combinations but could not get Nav without the vista roof. Guess I could get it without nav and have the dealer add it later, which is how I ended up at this thread, but I would rather not go that route. Nothing against those that like the vista roof, it's obviously popular, just don't like the added cost, weight, potential failure points (wind noise, rattles, leaks etc) to have something I won't use. My current car of 9 years has a moon roof that has been opened probably 10 times (including the sun shade).

I had a 2007 SEL Plus with Nav and no Vista roof. I currently have a 2008 Limited with Nav and no Vista roof. It is definitely an orderable combination.

I tried a bunch of option combinations but could not get Nav without the vista roof. Guess I could get it without nav and have the dealer add it later, which is how I ended up at this thread, but I would rather not go that route. Nothing against those that like the vista roof, it's obviously popular, just don't like the added cost, weight, potential failure points (wind noise, rattles, leaks etc) to have something I won't use. My current car of 9 years has a moon roof that has been opened probably 10 times (including the sun shade).

I am looking at getting an Edge with Nav and have gone through the "build your Edge" steps on the Ford site and it will not let you have Nav without the Vista roof. I do not want the vista roof but do want Nav. Why are those tied together?

crazy.. this is a new change for a fact... I have built the Edge dozens of times in many configurations in the past month(s) prior to ordering mine and for a fact, as recent as the last 2 weeks, you COULD get/build these 2 items separate... wow, kind of an odd forced combo, but a new limitation for sure.

naturally, you might be able to find one in stock at a dealer you want that was prior to this change... that Ford website has a cool tool for putting in your Zip and searching local dealers inventory for what you want: Let Us Find It

(on a side note, I suspect this is related to some other on the down-low changes I have seen happen in early 2008 related to invoice pricing)

Edited by Lex Talionis

Ordered that way. Both units were built to order. However, it does appear that you must take the Vista Roof to get the Nav system for all future orders.

Thanks rmwill, gives me some hope of finding one. Did you order your 2008 that way or find it already on a dealer lot?