What is this gauge for?

On my 2013 Edge LTD I can’t find in the manual what this gauge is for.

It is located just above the fuel gauge and it is just a small horizontal line, perhaps 1/2" long, made with 4 or 5 tinny rectangles and the first from the right looks like its filled (lighted)

I don’t know if it always had been there but just notice it recently

Anyone knows what it’s for?

Factoid: The Edge and Explorer had those "boxes" to indicate the depth of menus because they were setup for the left and right arrows to scroll through the menus. On the newer MFT vehicles (like the Fusion), the up and down arrows scroll through the menus, so the "boxes" are gone.

I think the Edge and Explorer might have also migrated to the newer design without the "boxes" in 2014, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the help

Yes they are what you mentioned and they are not 4 or 5 tinny rectangles as I mentioned on my 1st post but only 3 and when you scroll with the left / right arrows on the steering wheel these rectangles are lighted depending on the screen you are.

But I don’t see the purpose of them; I mean kind of more clutter in a complicated system

Thanks to all for the help

Yes they are what you mentioned and they are not 4 or 5 tinny rectangles as I mentioned on my 1st post but only 3 and when you scroll with the left / right arrows on the steering wheel these rectangles are lighted depending on the screen you are.

But I dont see the purpose of them; I mean kind of more clutter in a complicated system

They change, 2, 3, 4 or 5 depending on which menu your in. In the settings screen you'll see them the most.

I'm continually amazed with people who think MFT is a complicated overly redundant system. I went from a 2008 SEL to a 2013 Limited. To make life even more potentially challenging is that I have a Microsoft Zune for podcasts plugged into one of the USB receptacles. The day I accepted the car, I did a master reset on the Sony system to clear (?) out the bugs. The only issue I have is the inability of the phone to understand the majority of my directions. Other than that, no issues plus I have problems working the system. :^)

The MFT is complicated in the sense that it could have been designed with fewer menus. For example the “Screen Display” has 3 options (To Empty, RPM and Engine Temperature, and RPM, Engine Temperature and the Fuel Gauge).

I just don’t see why anyone would NOT like to have just one display visible: RPM, Engine Temperature and the Fuel Gauge and therefore eliminating one menu item.

Many more screens like the above could have been eliminated resulting in a better system

And as Waldo mentioned in post #7, the useless indicator bars are eliminated in newer models

Regardless the above, I love my MFT and SYNC and never had any issues

The MFT is complicated in the sense that it could have been designed with fewer menus. For example the “Screen Display” has 3 options (To Empty, RPM and Engine Temperature, and RPM, Engine Temperature and the Fuel Gauge).

I just don’t see why anyone would NOT like to have just one display visible: RPM, Engine Temperature and the Fuel Gauge and therefore eliminating one menu item.

Many more screens like the above could have been eliminated resulting in a better system

And as Waldo mentioned in post #7, the useless indicator bars are eliminated in newer models

Regardless the above, I love my MFT and SYNC and never had any issues

That's not MyFordTouch - that's just the MyFord dual 4" screens.

And how complicated is it to pick the display you want once and leave it that way? Why is that complicated?

What I said akirby is “complicated in the sense that it could have been designed with fewer menus” and this is just my opinion

Obviously its not a big deal to set the screen as you want it but in my case once in a while the Display will revert by itself to any other option and I have to reset it to what I want. Never figure out why it does that and never mentioned to the dealer because it’s not a big deal

It will change to a tach display if you use the paddle shifters. At least that's how my Fusion works.

I know what you said but my point was essentially selecting a display option once and leaving it is not at all complicated.

And neither is having to set it back once in a while. It's certainly annoying but it's not difficult to figure out which is my definition of complicated.

And again - that's not My Ford Touch anyway.

What I said akirby is “complicated in the sense that it could have been designed with fewer menus” and this is just my opinion

Obviously its not a big deal to set the screen as you want it but in my case once in a while the Display will revert by itself to any other option and I have to reset it to what I want. Never figure out why it does that and never mentioned to the dealer because it’s not a big deal

Mine does the same thing, usually noticed after I reset Trip 1 info after refueling. The first screen which I leave with RPM, Water Temp, and Fuel Gage will quite ofter revert back to the first menu choice of Distance to Empty instead of the third one that I always leave it in.

Then again, many of us still have the ambient lighting that reverts back to the default color and intensity after so many ignition switch cycles. Ford has no remedy for this known fault yet either.

Ford is slowly improving newer models. For example, in my 2011 MKX, when selecting M mode, the gauge display will change to the round ROM display and remainthere even after returning to D mode. On a friend's 2013 Explorer, the display will return to the last display after returning to D mode.

I noticed this change because I always get annoyed that I have to change back my display after a brief M mode I use at my Work's parking building.

Edited by omar302

There's a setting in the menu to remember what gauge screen you prefer to keep your display set to (I think it's memory mode or something like that). That will prevent the display screen from reverting back to default (screen "1").

I have had the memory mode set ever since I purchased the car new two years ago. It doe not prevent the first menu display from changing to a different display usually after I reset the trip 1 mode.

Sorry akirby I forgot

Why you say “That's not MyFordTouch - that's just the MyFord dual 4" screens”?

On page 417 my manual starts a new chapter and it is called MyFord Touch (If Equipped) and describes the dual 4” screens

The Touch part is the touch screen. The MFT software that people complain about (and rightly so in most cases) is for the touch screen. It has nothing to do with the information menu where you set the display formats. Even without MFT you still get the left hand menu with the same options. On those vehicles without MFT it's in the center display. So the menus you're complaining about have nothing to do with MFT. MFT is just the entertainment, phone, nav and climate controls and on MFT vehicles you can control those with the right hand display only. Not the left or single display.

And if you look closely at page 417 you'll notice that it doesn't describe both screens - only the right hand screen. The left hand and center screens are on page 110.

Edited by akirby

Same thing happens to me but as akirby mentioned above its not a big deal to set it again to what I preffer

The same goes for the drivers seat. I set it where I want it, press the button to store the position into the memory and its ok for some time (weeks or even months). But some times, I will go to start the engine and the seat will start to move forward and change its position.

Thanks for the info akirby re MFT software