New Member from Delaware (somewhat disappointed)

brihvac

Bought a new left over 2013 Lincoln MKX in June. I was very excited to get it but that did not last long.

Issue 1 I bought it at a dealer 2 hours from my house. I drove it home and noticed it had a BAD vibration when using the brakes (warped rotors) I took it to the local Ford dealer and they would not touch it because it was brand new and they told me to call the dealer I bought it from. I called them and they wanted to cut the rotors. I refused to accept that because a new car with 9 miles on it should not have warped rotors on it and I wanted new rotors. It was a battle but they finally replaced the front rotors. I still have a slight vibration from, what I believe is, the rear rotors. But I am just dealing with it.

Issue 2- There is a LOUD wind noise coming from the upper corners of both front doors. It sounds like the window is cracked open. Took it to the local Ford dealer and they said it was normal. I couldn't believe it! I said that there was no way they could actually say it was normal. They said being a Ford dealer they did not have a MKX to compare it too. I told them they have plenty of Edge's and I am sure that none of them have the noise. They just stared at me so I thanked them and took my key fob. UHHH

Issue 3 A/C smells like dirty socks. I am glad I found this site because I am going to try and take care of it myself. I see water leaking under the car but I am still going to blow the line ot and spray Lysol in the vents, air intake, and where the cabin air filter is.

Issue 4 Not sure if this is really an issue but man does this thing ride rough. I bought my wife a new 14 Hyundai Santa Fe turbo in April and it is like night and day between the ride and quietness of the inside cabin. You would think the Lincoln would be better. I have the 18" rims and tires. Mine is FWD and gets 20mpg on a good day and her Santa Fe is AWD turbo and she gets 23-25 all day long.

Issue 5 I have the issue where the seat moves back as you accelerate. I read through the forums and see that's a common issue with all Fords and has been for awhile. It doesn't bother me that much but it is one of those little things that add up.

I really like the looks of the MKX but I am seriously thinking of trading it in on something else. Anyone want to buy a 4 month old MKX with 2,700 miles? LOL

Rant done.

One positive, this thing is quick with the 3.7

Edited by brihvac

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your issues with the MKX!

Rare indeed to hear of warped rotors so early in the life. Nor should you have to put up with the rear rotor vibration. Do you have a production date for your MKX? You can look it up here:

Then click on the VEHICLE tab and enter the VIN number there. It could be a late 2012 calendar year build. Which also puts the battery in a nebulous situation, if it wasn't kept charged.

The wind noise is definitely not normal. Maybe the weatherstrip needs to be lubed/rejuvenated to fix, or realigned just a little bit.

Check the cabin filter. It shouldn't be dirty, but you never know, if it has been exposed to a lot of moisture ...

Have the alignment checked. Also whether they took out the shipping blocks they put on to prevent bounce on the trailer.

You can always call upon Ford Customer Service (here on this forum) to help out if the dealer experience continues to go awry. They can definitely get the dealer's attention.

Where would the shipping blocks be located? In the springs?

I actually had my selling Lincoln dealer AND the local Ford dealer tell me that if a car sits for LONG periods of time that the rotors will warp. I had never heard that before but 2 different dealers told me the same exact thing.

My car sat on the dealers lot since 2012 so it was there for a long time.

I had pulled the cabin air filter and it was spotless so I am assuming that it had been sitting on the lot for so long and they probably ran the air a lot when they moved it around the lot and the coil area never really dried out because when I bought the car it really stunk inside to the point that my wife was convinced it was not a new car. It was not the "new car smell". I wish it was because I love that smell. I have Febreze air fresheners in almost every vent.

The wind noise I am not letting go. I am going to find a Lincoln dealer and see what they say. Theres only one local and they are not known to be very good.

Yes, the shipping blocks should be in the springs if still there.

Could be transfer of pad material to the rotor if brakes left clamped for a long time between drives, or drives not long enough to get rust/foreign material off the rotor.

If the caf didn't smell, then it's probably OK. Any debris visible through the windshield cowl?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Bought a new left over 2013 Lincoln MKX in June. I was very excited to get it but that did not last long.

I really like the looks of the MKX but I am seriously thinking of trading it in on something else. Anyone want to buy a 4 month old MKX with 2,700 miles? LOL

Good morning, brihvac,

I'm going to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a solution. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Todd

Every MKX leaves the factory with plastic covers over the wheels that are put on there specifically to avoid "warping" the rotors (it's not really warping, it's pad material transfer and rust). The dealer's are not supposed to take them off until they prep the car for delivery, but chances are they were long gone on yours.

There's no such thing as "shipping blocks" inside the springs. The vehicles are tied down tightly which compresses the suspension on to the jounce bumpers so no extra block is needed. Check the tire pressures and make sure they match what's printed on the door jamb sticker.

The windnoise certainly isn't right though, but could be dried out seals depending on how the car was stored.

Buying cars is a lot like buying fruit. The longer it sits in the store the bigger a discount you get. But just like fruit, a stale car isn't going to be the same as a fresh one.

• Like 1

Just letting you know I had wind noise too. My 2012 Edge Limited has the same sound proofing as the MKX. I bought it in January 2014, so it sat on the lot from delivery until I bought it. Pretty much 2 years. They replaced all the weather stripping around the door jambs because of shrinking away from the cars door frames. Now I dont have a peep.

Also your Hyundai Santa Fe has a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Turbo (264hp) vs the Lincolns engine vs a 3.7 liter V6 (305hp) Kinda hard to compare MPG.

Is this true for all manner of transport, Waldo? For example, factory to dealer, dealer to dealer, etc.?

Ford can't even get the dealer's to set the tire pressures correctly, can you imagine them expecting the dealer to remove blocks from springs? People would be driving off the lot and getting into accidents and suing the crap out of Ford left and right.

The tie-down hooks are on the body, not on the suspension. So when you tie down the car, it's doesn't bounce around.

• Like 1