Trying Lysol to kill stink before the stink kills me

normcloutier

I am going to try the Lysol spray thing to get rid of the unbearable stink from the AC. Can't even use it anymore on my 13 SEL.

I will be pulling the glove box and cabin filter to get more direct access to components as I think this would have more effect than just spraying it in the cowling.

Any tips or suggestions? Any particular component/area I should be looking for under dash?

Iam Service Manager at Ford Store. Smell is likely bacteria built up from ac mostiure that clings to evaporator and heater box. There is a ac service available that introduces a chemical in the air intake. It kills the bacteria. If really bad you may have to have dealer to twice in a few weeks. We charge 139.95 and have it as a scheduled maintence item every 40,000 km. If you live in a high mostiure area.. (Coast) you may need it every 20000km. Also when you use defrost it cycles your ac to dry the air. If you use defrost or defrost mixed mode as a regular setting you will have to clean more often. If you use just heat on GH poor or vent it helps dry the heater box.

DO not use Lysol.... You have to breath that stuff...

Replace your cabin filter. Have the service done. Remember if it is really bad or could take 2 or more treatments.

Hope this held

Iam Service Manager at Ford Store. Smell is likely bacteria built up from ac mostiure that clings to evaporator and heater box. There is a ac service available that introduces a chemical in the air intake. It kills the bacteria. If really bad you may have to have dealer to twice in a few weeks. We charge 139.95 and have it as a scheduled maintence item every 40,000 km. If you live in a high mostiure area.. (Coast) you may need it every 20000km. Also when you use defrost it cycles your ac to dry the air. If you use defrost or defrost mixed mode as a regular setting you will have to clean more often. If you use just heat on GH poor or vent it helps dry the heater box.

DO not use Lysol.... You have to breath that stuff...

Replace your cabin filter. Have the service done. Remember if it is really bad or could take 2 or more treatments.

Hope this held

This is obviously an issue with the Edge as many forum members have complained about this. I have 6 other Fords in my service fleet and NONE of them have this issue. Some of them with over 250k.

If this is a service provided by Ford, why did the service department look at me like I had 3 heads when I asked what to do about it? Their comment was "my vehicle stinks too". Ya, so does the Bullsh** about this problem.

What is the service number for this AC service? I would like to enquire about it.

http://wagonmaster.net/climate-control/

Inexperience is my guess. This is not a just a ford issue.

The video at the above link does a good job to help explain.

Not all ford dealers may offer this service but this type of problem has been referenced by different TSB's for several makes over the years.

The proactive dealers will include it in a maintenance program to avoid the issue all together.

IG it was never suggested as msintrnce item you have not been servicing at a dealer or they are not that proactive and need to address their Short fall.

BTW a simple thank you goes along way to people wanting to respond to your questions.

http://wagonmaster.net/climate-control/

Inexperience is my guess. This is not a just a ford issue.

The video at the above link does a good job to help explain.

Not all ford dealers may offer this service but this type of problem has been referenced by different TSB's for several makes over the years.

The proactive dealers will include it in a maintenance program to avoid the issue all together.

IG it was never suggested as msintrnce item you have not been servicing at a dealer or they are not that proactive and need to address their Short fall.

BTW a simple thank you goes along way to people wanting to respond to your questions.

Each Manufacture has a maintenance schedule for their vehicles. This schedule represents the minimum maintenance required to maintain your warranty. This smell problem your having is an example of a service that will not be in the MAINTENANCE Required but rather in a dealer recommend maintenance schedule.

I believe BG Wagon Master has a find a shop site that can direct you to a Ford Store that offers the service.

Hope this helps.. that smell is not only bad on the nose but not good to breathe.

If you are in western canada I could recommend a store or two that i know to do good work and be easy to deal wit.

• 1 month later...

Norm - just to clarify..... this isn't a Ford procedure. It's not part of scheduled maintenance. Ford dealers are independent businesses. Some have this service and promote it - others don't but it's an individual dealer thing not a Ford thing.

Although with all the problems maybe it should be.....

• Like 1

The F150 boards have plenty of complaints also about the smell from the A/C. Numerous fixes tried, not too many very successful in the long run. A few dealers have exchanged the condenser. They found that the old ones had leaks in them which allowed the water to pool and become moldy. The result was the moldy smell. Not many dealers are willing to do that step unless the owner has had numerous complaints and nothing had helped.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have had this problem sporadically with other cars. Put all your windows down, place your a/c on the fresh air setting (not recirculate) and spray the lysol into the vent intake. Lyson will kill the mold and bacteria in the system.

I know, there are those that say to never do that, but I did it a few times on various cars and the smell never came back. Just make sure to use your a/c on the fresh air setting often. It helps control the stink from coming back. While you are at it, change your cabin filter as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my 2014 Ford Edge in late 2014 and it has less than 5,000 miles on it. I started noticing a mildew smell when the weather warmed up and the car started sitting in the sun with the windows up. The smell is really bad and is absorbed by anything fabric that I put in the car (coat, hat, gym gab, etc.). Also the clothes I wear in the car absorb the odor immediately. So when I drive a few blocks and get out of the car, I can smell the odor on my clothes. My previous car did not have this problem and i have lived in the same location with the same driving habits for 7 years. This is nuts. Have there been any recalls from Ford for this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Lubegard online. Thought I would try this $30 fix before turning it over to the dealer.

Anyone know exactly where the drain tube is on a 13 SEL? Would it be better to use the product from the inside? Is the evaporator accessible from behind the glove box?

Hey Norm, did you ever use the Lubegard & did it work? Did you find the drain tube ok?

I just received the Lubegard this week but haven't tried it yet.

It's been terribly cold (just above freezing) and I am not inspired to crawl under the vehicle.

I will post the results once I have a chance to use it.

Hey I hear you. Snowed here (n. Indiana) on Tuesday, ground got white. Hit 25°F last night.

Where's global WARMING when you need it?

I had the smell problem in my 2012. This problem is not unique to Ford or Edges either. Replacing the cabin filter (severasl times) did not cure the problem.

Saw recently that a 50:50 combination of water and hydrogen peroxide misted into the outside air intake while the fan is full speed and the system in AC mode helps. Tried it a week ago and the smell disappeared and has not returned yet. A very simple solution (so far at least).

• Like 2