Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Not to jinx myself, but am wondering why after my dealership replaced the whole PTU unit, it is not leaking anymore. Makes me wonder if it is fact how it is installed. I have heard and read that it is a very difficult install to do requiring "special" tools. If not installed exactly right, they will leak again......Just curious.......

Mine lasted for 3 months (5133 miles) after the whole unit was replaced before the smell returned. How long has it been?

Edited by edge18

I to have now encountered the leaking PTU. :banghead:

My 2008 AWD Limited Edge has been fantastic and upto today I thought maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

There is just over 12000 miles on it and it runs like a swiss watch.

Before leaving for a family vacation to Florida (we live in the Toronto area) I thought it would be a good idea to have the oil changed. Earlier this week the smell of burnt oil come to my attention and as a precaution I asked for the service tech to check the PTU while changing the oil.

They confirmed it was leaking (very minimal) and even took me into the shop to show me the problem and explain it. I have spent a great deal time over the years working on cars and must admit that the amount of oil on the ecterior of the PTU is minor.

Here is what the dealer told me.

- they have seen this before ( about 1 or 2 weekly)

- they are seeing fewer instances of this problem - none on the 2009 models

- they will redo the PTU - new seals

- it will take 3 hours, parts are in stock, they have a 1 tech who is responsible for all of the rebuilds

- they have not had any problems with the PTU leaking after servicing

- as I planned to leave later that day for my trip, they moved me to the first appointment of the day.

I'm a little concerned to travel that far right after having the PTU serviced, but on the other hand 3000 miles in 10 days should be a good indicator of the integrity of the new seals.

Wish me luck, I'll post the out come either way good or bad.

Still love the my Edge. :rockon:

Just an update:

I brought my Edge in at 7:30 this morning and they called me at 9:15 that it is ready.

Obviously time will tell if the great service also applies to their workmanship.

I'm off on my trip :happy feet: , 3000 miles in 10 days should be a good test of the seals that have been

installed. I'll post an update later on the out come.

To answer some questions...

1) Built day on my Edge --> 5/16/07

2) Yes, FORD is offering me $9000 (as a voucher) on the purchase of a new Ford/Lincoln vehicle. However, this was not what I proposed to FORD.

Basically, since FORD built the Edge, it has a problem (leaky PTU), as of today there is no remedy, thus the problem persists, they are responsible....For good Customer Service, I would expect at least a replacement vehicle.

My dealership is offering me $20K for my Edge. FORD will offer me $9K, and I am willing to "chip" in $7K -->Total $36K

Unfortunately, that is not enough, since to replace my vehicle with the same options that I have today, the cost of the Edge is $40K + tax (13.% in Canada) --> $46K

So, I am short of $10K...Unacceptable!!!

I am waiting until tomorrow for FORD to get back to me to determine if they are going to accept my offer (they had close to 1 month to think about it...hmm). Basically my offer is simple: Drop of my keys at the dealership, including a certified check for $7K, pick up NEW keys...end of story.

In any event, they need to respond to Arbitration tomorrow. If I accept their proposal, I cancel the Arbitration process, otherwise, we meet at the end of the month.

I will get my $$ (Based on the online calculator at the Arbitrator's web site, I would be getting close to $32K) walk away with my $$ (FORD has 21 days to issue payment) and go shopping for a NEW vehicle elsewhere.

Don't ge me wrong, I love my Edge, and I am still willing to give FORD another shot by driving away a 2009 model which may end up leaking anyways....So, call me a fool.

Stay tuned...

I purchased a used 2007 MKX last month and I have the bad smell too. Off to the dealer I go for visit #1 (for me anyways), they want to "inspect"...

It might not be a bad idea to post some info about your MKX here. Where you bought it, VIN number etc. It might be someone else's castoff for that very reason.

Well, I've been reding about this since I started with my PTU problems on my 08 Edge SEL AWD, and finally decided to post since it will be going in on Wednesday for the 3rd time. Here's my story - I bought it used from the dealership at the end of December. It was originally a rental car in LA. I bought it six months old with 7500 miles on it here in Great Falls, MT. Had it for 3 days and had the leak. Dealer did seal kit and within 3 weeks it leaked again. This time they replaced the whole PTU(or siad they did). Now a couple of months later it is smoking and stinking with puddles underneath again. I've got a whopping 9500 miles on it now. I'm going to advise them of the heat method for the seal and I saw someone else on here who had to have the axle replaced as well. I'm hoping they fix it. My wife and I love the car (it is her daily driver), but don't want to shell out more $$ for a new one that I would bet will leak as well. I'm thinking about asking the dealer for an extended warranty - has anyone gone that route?

Well, I've been reding about this since I started with my PTU problems on my 08 Edge SEL AWD, and finally decided to post since it will be going in on Wednesday for the 3rd time. Here's my story - I bought it used from the dealership at the end of December. It was originally a rental car in LA. I bought it six months old with 7500 miles on it here in Great Falls, MT. Had it for 3 days and had the leak. Dealer did seal kit and within 3 weeks it leaked again. This time they replaced the whole PTU(or siad they did). Now a couple of months later it is smoking and stinking with puddles underneath again. I've got a whopping 9500 miles on it now. I'm going to advise them of the heat method for the seal and I saw someone else on here who had to have the axle replaced as well. I'm hoping they fix it. My wife and I love the car (it is her daily driver), but don't want to shell out more $$ for a new one that I would bet will leak as well. I'm thinking about asking the dealer for an extended warranty - has anyone gone that route?

I have been told that this part is under warranty for 60,000 miles because it is part of the transmisson and that each time they fix it the part put in is guaranteed for one year.

Thanks for that info. Like I said, we love the car and my wife doesn't want anything else, but I'm not going to throw away more good money for bad. I also think Ford will eventually have to get this straightened out, but I don't want to have to become an expert doityourselfer as far as axle seal leaks go once it is under warranty, nor do I want to have to just get rid of the darn thing right before the warranty ends. I do think I am going to see if this time they will replace the PTU and axles as the seal and PTU hasn't worked. Sucks to go from a trouble free Sable that I've had for 6 years to a "new" car that has been in the shop 3 times in 3 months.

Great to hear that FORD repurchase your vehicle...I only hope you got what you wanted $$

I am scheduled for the 2nd week of April for the Arbitration meeting. I am expecting also a buyback from FORD..

It's a shame as otherwise it is a very fine vehicle...Well, looks like I will be looking once more at the Japanese models.

Great to hear that FORD repurchase your vehicle...I only hope you got what you wanted $$

I am scheduled for the 2nd week of April for the Arbitration meeting. I am expecting also a buyback from FORD..

It's a shame as otherwise it is a very fine vehicle...Well, looks like I will be looking once more at the Japanese models.

I guess I don't understand that. The Japanese cars are also having all kinds of problems with transmissions, rears etc and since no one makes a trouble free vehicle, one bad experience should not chase you away especially if Ford takes care of the problem to your satisfaction. Two of my brothers-in-law have had nothing but problems with their Honda Accords and they are not being satisfied by Honda. Buy what you like and what meets your needs. Who would have thought the Korean autos would be what they are today just a few short years from the tin cans they sold earlier!

If Ford takes care of my problem, if it reappears, I will go back ,maybe even to another MKX. I really like the thing other than this one difficulty and since I have had decades of trouble-free performance from Fords, Why not?

I guess I don't understand that. The Japanese cars are also having all kinds of problems with transmissions, rears etc and since no one makes a trouble free vehicle, one bad experience should not chase you away especially if Ford takes care of the problem to your satisfaction. Two of my brothers-in-law have had nothing but problems with their Honda Accords and they are not being satisfied by Honda. Buy what you like and what meets your needs. Who would have thought the Korean autos would be what they are today just a few short years from the tin cans they sold earlier!

If Ford takes care of my problem, if it reappears, I will go back ,maybe even to another MKX. I really like the thing other than this one difficulty and since I have had decades of trouble-free performance from Fords, Why not?

Well I thought if I got rid of the all wheel drive and went to a front wheel drive it would end my problems with the Edge. I had a Platinum White 09 in my sights with all the equipment, until the dealer loaned me a FWD with 30k on it. The transmission jerked and banged when it shifted several times in a row and several days in a row. I have already been down the transmission replacement road too, in the one they repurchased. I kept that part out of it. When the loaner FWD started acting up I just couldn't do it again.

I agree, the Nissan,Honda and Toyota crowd don't seem to be as reliable as they once were.

Well, if you're moving to a Traverse you're not getting away from anything. They share transmissions with the EDGE/MKX. I would discount the loaner based on the fact that people probably beat the snot out of it and it probably needs a fluid change (like most automatics at 30K).

Edited by CreamEDGE.

All manufacturers have their "problems"...However, what I do not find acceptable is the

method in which FORD is addressing this problem

--> Keep replacing Seals and PTU's and hope the problem will go away

As I have mentioned in my previous blogs, we are not talking about "rocket science" but basically a seal that is failing and allowing Transmission Fluid to leak out from the PTU.

FORD has had 2 years to address this problem. Thus far, no solution.

The transfer case / PTU was not invented 2 years ago. FORD has been using these components for years. So why do we see these failures on the Edge/MKX? Things that make you go Hmmm..?

I am no longer willing to be a "lab rat" as previously mentioned by someone else in this blog. I have been extremely patiente and coorperative (4 PTU's and 1 Seal Kit) + it is currently leaking again.

I have had great experiences in the past with Japanese (Nissan + Honda), so I guess I will try my luck once more with them..

Edited by iceman33

All manufacturers have their "problems"...However, what I do not find acceptable is the

method in which FORD is addressing this problem

--> Keep replacing Seals and PTU's and hope the problem will go away

As I have mentioned in my previous blogs, we are not talking about "rocket science" but basically a seal that is failing and allowing Transmission Fluid to leak out from the PTU.

FORD has had 2 years to address this problem. Thus far, no solution.

The transfer case / PTU was not invented 2 years ago. FORD has been using these components for years. So why do we see these failures on the Edge/MKX? Things that make you go Hmmm..?

I am no longer willing to be a "lab rat" as previously mentioned by someone else in this blog. I have been extremely patiente and coorperative (4 PTU's and 1 Seal Kit) + it is currently leaking again.

I have had great experiences in the past with Japanese (Nissan + Honda), so I guess I will try my luck once more with them..

And Ford has the gaul to continue to advertise on TV that their Quality is as good as Nissan and Toyota - Bull Shit

I am going back at 10,000km for as second set of seals.

My experience of buying a Ford has turned me against the Fricken Company. Screw them.

I would like to have one of those executive sitting in some ivory tower some place come and have a ride in this smoking vehicle and sit at at a red light and have the putrid smell coming into the vehicle. What a piece of shit.

Gary Smith

SMOKIN EDGE