Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

I recently had a similiar Issue:

When I was stopped at a Red Light (with no cars around me) smoke blew into my Edge From the A/C Vents filling my cab. I quickly turned off the A/C and rolled down the Windows. 5 minutes later, Being an obvious glutton for punishment, I turned the A/C back on, and smoke filled the cab Again. I called My Ford Dealership and made an appointment for the next morning.

I explained the Above and a few hours after Dropping off my Edge I got a call from my Service Writer saying "Unable to Duplicate the concern"

At THAT Point I mentioned that many Edge owners were having PTU leaks. He told me He Checked Them already and that even if they Leaked, the Seals arent Near my A/C intake. :banghead:

Hmmmmm Any Advice ?

Take your Edge to a different dealer for service.

Got mine in today for the PTU leak. I'm dealing with the Service Manager who gave me a loaner. I asked him what's the posibility of this being fixed right? He said that Ford has a 3rd generation seal but are not releasing it yet. He knows about the problem and said that many he has seen has been fixed with a seal change. He was not too optimistic ... but said they will do their best. They know about it ... and if their wrenches are as good as the staff there, hopefully it'll get fix.

Dealer is Whiteoak Ford in Mississauga, Ontario on Mavis Dr. One of the better dealers I have been at and I have been to many looking for a vehicle. I recommend them!

I recently had a similiar Issue:

When I was stopped at a Red Light (with no cars around me) smoke blew into my Edge From the A/C Vents filling my cab. I quickly turned off the A/C and rolled down the Windows. 5 minutes later, Being an obvious glutton for punishment, I turned the A/C back on, and smoke filled the cab Again. I called My Ford Dealership and made an appointment for the next morning.

I explained the Above and a few hours after Dropping off my Edge I got a call from my Service Writer saying "Unable to Duplicate the concern"

At THAT Point I mentioned that many Edge owners were having PTU leaks. He told me He Checked Them already and that even if they Leaked, the Seals arent Near my A/C intake. :banghead:

Hmmmmm Any Advice ?

I never had the smoke come in through the air vents. It poured out from the driver's side of the hood.

Got my vehicle back. They replaced the following:

1 unit: 7T4Z-3A329-BD Shaft P01

1 unit: 8T4Z-7275-A Kit P02

Fluid

They said that this seems to fix it for now. They had noticed a bit of pitting on the shaft and replaced it to be on the safe side. They doubted it was permenent. He said it seems to have worked on most of the vehicles as they have not come back. Some he said come back over 5 times ... it's weird.

Ford is holding back on the 3rd seal as they need to get heating ovens to heat the seal up to 212 deg. F

Got my vehicle back. They replaced the following:

1 unit: 7T4Z-3A329-BD Shaft P01

1 unit: 8T4Z-7275-A Kit P02

Fluid

They said that this seems to fix it for now. They had noticed a bit of pitting on the shaft and replaced it to be on the safe side. They doubted it was permenent. He said it seems to have worked on most of the vehicles as they have not come back. Some he said come back over 5 times ... it's weird.

Ford is holding back on the 3rd seal as they need to get heating ovens to heat the seal up to 212 deg. F

Ford claims (to me anyway) that it works on some and not on others because this is a very intricate procedure and not all dealerships do it right. I have had those parts put in my car twice now and still have a leak. Oh, and Ford also admitted that this problem does only seem to occur in cold weather which explains why I went from Feb to Oct with no leak and it came back in Feb. Very frustrating! Hopefully, you will have better luck with yours.

Ford claims (to me anyway) that it works on some and not on others because this is a very intricate procedure and not all dealerships do it right. I have had those parts put in my car twice now and still have a leak. Oh, and Ford also admitted that this problem does only seem to occur in cold weather which explains why I went from Feb to Oct with no leak and it came back in Feb. Very frustrating! Hopefully, you will have better luck with yours.

I have about 14 complaints about Stinkin PTU Problems with the Ford Edge.

Most of them seem to be coming from the Northern States or Canada. So it does seem to confirm that it is a cold weather problem.

At this point people don't care anymore they just want resolution.

This is definitely my last Ford.

SMOKIN EDGE

Edited by garyedwardsmith

I have about 14 complaints about Stinkin PTU Problems with the Ford Edge.

Most of them seem to be coming from the Northern States or Canada. So it does seem to confirm that it is a cold weather problem.

At this point people don't care anymore they just what resolution.

This is definitely my last Ford.

SMOKIN EDGE

I know. I am one of them! Love your website but all of this is not doing us any good if they don't have a fix for our problem.

I am the poster formerly known as Galaxieman (long story). The last fix on the MKX was the double seal installation and the report from the dealer noted the "heated as per procedure" so I guess some dealers are prepared for that procedure. This was completed on 3/20, no smells or leaks noted thus far and it has been moderately cold. Only about 200 miles since then and they want it back to inspect after 500 miles or so. We will see.

I have learned a great deal from the posts on these 26 pages. Thank you.

I have an 08 SEL AWD Edge built in June 2008 and purchased brand new December 4th, 2008. I have been smelling the "smell" for at least 6 weeks, but thought it was just breaking itself in since it was a new car. My husband took it in for the first oil change at 5,000 miles and had them check it out because of the smell. He said he saw 3 service guys standing under the front passenger side looking at my car on the rack and they said an AWD seal was leaking and they needed to order the part and they would call when it comes in and they would have my car a few days.

I couldn't believe all the information that came up when I came home and googled this leaking seal. I haven't taken my car in for the first seal replacement yet, but will keep you updated on my progress.

BTW, just curious if you get your oil changed at 3,000 or 5,000 miles?

Edited by jennifer11781

I have learned a great deal from the posts on these 26 pages. Thank you.

I have an 08 SEL AWD Edge built in June 2008 and purchased brand new December 4th, 2008. I have been smelling the "smell" for at least 6 weeks, but thought it was just breaking itself in since it was a new car. My husband took it in for the first oil change at 5,000 miles and had them check it out because of the smell. He said he saw 3 service guys standing under the front passenger side looking at my car on the rack and they said an AWD seal was leaking and they needed to order the part and they would call when it comes in and they would have my car a few days.

I couldn't believe all the information that came up when I came home and googled this leaking seal. I haven't taken my car in for the first seal replacement yet, but will keep you updated on my progress.

BTW, just curious if you get your oil changed at 3,000 or 5,000 miles?

Hi Jennifer. :D Check your Maintenance Schedule. The "Normal Service Oil Change Interval" for the Edge is 7,500 miles/6 months (whichever comes first). For those Edge's used for towing or severe driving conditions, the "Recommended Oil Change Interval" is 5,000 miles/6 months (whichever comes first).

Of course, you are free to change the oil as often as you want. It certainly won't hurt anything to change sooner, but to do it sooner than the recommended 7,500 miles/6 months or 5,000 miles/6 months would be a waste of time and money. Of course that is just my opinion (and the opinion of Ford's Engineers :yup: ).

Some Dealers and Oil Change shops will tell you 3,000 miles/3 months. However, advancement in engine technology and oil science have made that advice long outdated. They are simply trying to make more money by convincing you to use a shorter change interval.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Jennifer. :D Check your Maintenance Schedule. The "Normal Service Oil Change Interval" for the Edge is 7,500 miles/6 months (whichever comes first). For those Edge's used for towing or severe driving conditions, the "Recommended Oil Change Interval" is 5,000 miles/6 months (whichever comes first).

Of course, you are free to change the oil as often as you want. It certainly won't hurt anything to change sooner, but to do it sooner than the recommended 7,500 miles/6 months or 5,000 miles/6 months would be a waste of time and money. Of course that is just my opinion (and the opinion of Ford's Engineers :yup: ).

Some Dealers and Oil Change shops will tell you 3,000 miles/3 months. However, advancement in engine technology and oil science have made that advice long outdated. They are simply trying to make more money by convincing you to use a shorter change interval.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :beerchug:

I go by the owners manual at least as long as the warranty is in effect. I drive a 2003 Sable that has 180,000 miles on it. As you can surmise they are mostly highway miles. I went with the recommended 5000 miles between changes for the first 35,000 warranteed miles then switched to 100% synthetic oil and 10,000 mile intervals. I believe the long trips and advances in engine and oil technology makes this a perfectly sane practice.

So My Edge goes in Monday morning for probably 2 days to get the PTU replaced. I was happy to hear they weren't bothering to change the seals a couple times and just go straight to the unit. I hope my rental car isn't too bad, cause I'm sure I'll miss my Edge. Wish me luck for this one swap to fix it forever!

Thanks for responding to oil change question. I actually have an ESP and the agreement is an oil change every 5,000 miles, but they wrote to get the next one at 8,000 on the sticker so I just wanted some confirmation from you all.

Edited by jennifer11781

I finally got my Edge back today after having the unit replaced. I asked the part number and they said 7251. I don't have the paperwork because I have an open case due to the fact that I tried to get the 911 upgrade for Sync and they need a special cable to do the upgrade. Is the 7251 the newest unit? Also, do you usually get charged for the Sync upgrades from your dealer?

I finally got my Edge back today after having the unit replaced. I asked the part number and they said 7251. I don't have the paperwork because I have an open case due to the fact that I tried to get the 911 upgrade for Sync and they need a special cable to do the upgrade. Is the 7251 the newest unit? Also, do you usually get charged for the Sync upgrades from your dealer?

I had a unit with a 7251 part number installed on my MKX but it had a -A suffix. It leaked and they installed a new seal kit, which has been OK for about 3 weeks and 1000 miles.

I know nothing about Sync upgrades and did not know such a thing existed.

The AWD vehicles have a known problem with the Power Takeoff Unit seals. This is usually the seal where the passenger side axle goes into the PTU.

If you look up from under the vehicle it has that nice yellow colred seal deflector. Synthetic fluid will drip down onto the exhaust.

The smell is very uh different.

Parts are on National backorder right now.

Richard and Barbie

Yes there is a charge for the Sync upgrade. I was quoted 45.00. Will be done next week. :)

OK Guys..My 'nightmare' is over!!!

Had my arbitration hearing this morning...and the verdic is....BUYBACK!!!!

I won my case hands down...Ford will now be the proud owner of a leaky 2007 Edge.

I can only wish the rest of you with the same problems the best of luck...There is always a way out.

I certainly will miss the Edge. Besides this on-going problem, the vehicle is awesome...

Good luck to you all...

I just dropped off my '08 Ford Edge for a 10k oil change. I was told that last time (at 5K) I had "red" fluid leaking and that is when they change the PTU seals and the drive shaft. This time they tell me that "brown" fluid is leaking and that seal has to be changed. So I left the vehicle with the dealer.

I very displeased with quality of this vehicle.

Ford has completely taken the thrill out of buying a new vehicle.

SMOKIN EDGE

I read thru parts of this post and some of the posts in the link above.

Is this problem inherent to certain years or all AWD? It seems that the problem comes on after 10k miles or so? I just bought one and only have about 1200 miles on it, so thought I would get a clear grasp on this before I may have to deal with it. I will be bummed if I bought a car with problems. That was why I bought a new one in the first place :banghead:

The problem has been primarily with the '07 and '08s but I noticed the other posts have identified that some'09 owners (http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3149&hl=) are having problems.

Ford has not been forthcoming about the problem and haven't issued any recall so it is difficult to identify defective vehicles.

That said it seems to be primarily a problem in colder climates in the winter. My vehicle started stinking at under 3,000 km. If you smell smoke like burning wax, you have just purchase a crappy Ford Edge like the rest of us.

For more Stinkin PTU stories with the Ford Edge, you can check out my blog.

http://www.smokinedge.com

SMOKIN EDGE