27,000 miles and here is what I have.....

blazin_edge

So, I am at 27,000 miles and I have a few issues that need to be checked. Nothing major but here we go, and if you have had these issues please let me know.

*Driver seat feels loose. After put into position it has a movement every so often of about a 1/4 inch.

*Clank/rattle in rear when hitting little bumps.

*Little rattle in passenger door.

*Back hatch interior loose and un-snapping.

*MY FRONT TIRES HAVE AN UNUSUAL WEAR. MIDDLE THREADS WORN PRE-MATURE AND GETTING VERY SLICK.

*At low speeds the tranny jerks. (I know about this)

Only one major, others aren't to shabby. Our tires are those cheap continentals. Anyone else have those issues? On a FWD vehicle, when do YOU rotate tires? I have always had mustangs so FWD is new to me :banghead: .

Kevin

You should have them rotated at least every other oil change. Usually tire wear in the center of the tire only is caused by over inflation.

Hi blazin_egde. :D Yes, what druck52 said about wear in the middle of the tire tread. Essentially, no cause other than over-inflation. And I believe that the recommended tire rotation is every 7500 miles (the same interval as recommended oil changes).

Just curious, what psi do you keep your tires inflated to? Please tell us it is what is recommended on the door sticker of your Edge (probably about 34-35psi), and not what is imprinted on the sidewall of the tire?

Do you check your tires regularly, and use a good quality tire pressure gauge when you do?

All of the other concerns are the type that you should definitely get back to the Dealer with, before your "Bumper to Bumper" Warranty is up (3 years/36,000 miles).

Good luck! :beerchug:

My brother in law works for Michelin and has for 27 years now. He always says tire inflation should be strictly followed by what the manufacturer states on the door jamb. I have used this method for many many years and have yet to have a problem. Maybe I am just lucky.

I rotate my Tires every other oil change and I change my oil every 3000 miles even with Full Synthetic.

We keep tires at no more than 35 psi. That is why I am not sure why tire wear is like this. Well, I am WAY passed the tire rotation haha.

Hi blazin_edge. :D First question: Again. do you use a good quality tire pressure gauge to check your tire pressure? And a second question: Have you checked the pressure using a second pressure gauge, to see if the gauge you are using is calibrated incorrectly, or defective?

Anyway, good luck again! :beerchug:

Then, you should get a THIRD pressure gauge to make sure the SECOND gauge is accurate, then you should get a FORTH pressure gauge to make sure the THIRD gauge is accurate, then......

Trainmaster I don't know if your tiring to be funny or just a smart ass but checking with a second gauge is a smart idea. If you fill up at the gas station those gauges are always off and even if you just check them at home your gauge can be off. I have 2 gauges at home and they read 5psi off from each other which is a very big difference. I've been reading these boards for awhile and i don't understand all the smart ass comments that go on.

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, well I took her in at 30K miles and most was fixed. BUT!! what I didn't mention in my first post was I had a head tick start in the engine and started getting louder about 10K miles ago. Well, Ford made them put a new engine in for us. Not sure what the tick was, but they said may be something in the engine. So, at 30K, I got me a new engine and all issues fixed. Hmmm..... like new again. :) So if you have a head tick, go to your dealer ASAP!

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I'm at 30,000 miles, my fronts tires wear quickly as well and my rear tires look brand new, had my edge a year. I've had to change my front tires about 4 times in the pst year for wearing, and like i said rear tires even have some "hair" left on um! Weird $h!t man!!

So, I am at 27,000 miles and I have a few issues that need to be checked. Nothing major but here we go, and if you have had these issues please let me know.

*Driver seat feels loose. After put into position it has a movement every so often of about a 1/4 inch.

*MY FRONT TIRES HAVE AN UNUSUAL WEAR. MIDDLE THREADS WORN PRE-MATURE AND GETTING VERY SLICK.

Only one major, others aren't to shabby. Our tires are those cheap continentals. Anyone else have those issues? On a FWD vehicle, when do YOU rotate tires? I have always had mustangs so FWD is new to me :banghead: .

Kevin

I have a digital tire gauge. Cost me like $8 haha.

BBF2530, how do you like your MKZ? Thought about one of those or a Fusion as well. Was wishing we could get a turbo carged MKZ or Fusion from factory.

Kevin

Hi Kevin. :D I'm sorry, I somehow missed your above question from 12/29. I never saw it until now, when your post was bumped back to the top by "onthefrickingedge". I don't know if you are still around at all (I hope so), but here is my late answer!

My wife and I love the MKZ. Looks great inside and out. Beautiful ride and handling. The new 3.5L engine (well, it was new when we purchased 11/21/06) is absolutely fantastic. Smooth and powerful.

We now have 8,000 miles and have needed no service other than the regular oil changes and tire rotation.

Edited by bbf2530

I'm at 30,000 miles, my fronts tires wear quickly as well and my rear tires look brand new, had my edge a year. I've had to change my front tires about 4 times in the pst year for wearing, and like i said rear tires even have some "hair" left on um! Weird $h!t man!!

Wow...that better be excessive. There is no way I would pay for new tires that often. Are you peeling out every time you drive?

You may need an alignment. :fan:

Hi onthefricikingedge. :D You mention "change" your front tires, but you do not mention rotating your tires. Have you ever rotated the tires, the way they are supposed to be (according to the Maintenance Schedule and Owners Manual)?

Tire rotations on the Edge/MKX should be performed every 7500 miles. So you should have rotated your tires at least 4 times over the course of 30,000 miles of driving.

If you are not rotating your tires properly, you should give it a try. It will save you a lot of money and headaches.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi "onthefrickingedge", and anyone else who is wondering about tire rotations (and with apologies upfront to "bulldog" and the help he was trying to give): :D The Owners Manual has a clear tire rotation diagram.

It specifically states the proper rotation pattern is the following: Right front to right rear. Left front to left rear. Right rear to left front. Left rear to right front.

My recommendation would be that it is best to follow that advice.

Of course, if you should ever replace your original Factory tires with ones that are "Directional", you will need to adjust your rotation pattern accordingly ("bulldog" would then be 100% correct).

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 months later...

I followed tire pressure and rotation schedules and my Continentals wore out at 20k. I talked Discount Tire and Continental into giving me $75 off per tire this time. I guess they can't handle my driving style. I saw one driving in Gross Point, MI w/ Canada plates on it yesterday with Pirelli Scorpions on them. I presume possibly what they will be coming with from now on like the F150 w/ 20s?? I hope. I hate Continental. Didn't like them on my Expedition either.

No other issues to report. Fuel Mileage right in middle of the EPA sticker for my '07. Even though I make the transmission I do wish I could get rid of the hesitation in my tranny. I think I get it confused with what I want to do sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
35PSI???? The tires say 44???? Which one should I go with? I have been runnin them at 44 since I got it.

p.s., gettin around 21 mpg city, 23.5 highway.

Hi FINFAN. :D The tire pressure which is molded into the side of your tires (44PSI), is the MAXIMUM pressure that the tire is rated for and should never be approached in any normal use.

You really should read your Owners Manual concerning proper tire maintenance.

The Manufacturer Recommended Tire Pressure is listed on the sticker located on your drivers side door jamb (I believe the Edge is 35 PSI). That is the pressure you should be using. You can go 2-3 PSI higher than the recommended pressure if you wish, for better tire wear and MPG. However, much more than that and you will adversely affect tire wear, and the harsher ride will also increase wear and tear on your suspension components.

Again, it is not beneficial and can be dangerous to inflate your tires to the Maximum pressure listed on your tires sidewall.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi "onthefrickingedge", and anyone else who is wondering about tire rotations (and with apologies upfront to "bulldog" and the help he was trying to give): :D The Owners Manual has a clear tire rotation diagram.

It specifically states the proper rotation pattern is the following: Right front to right rear. Left front to left rear. Right rear to left front. Left rear to right front.

My recommendation would be that it is best to follow that advice.

Of course, if you should ever replace your original Factory tires with ones that are "Directional", you will need to adjust your rotation pattern accordingly ("bulldog" would then be 100% correct).

I have always gone front to back, back to font because I used to X my tires on one of my old vehicles and the belt slipped inside the tires and I had to replace them...and the tires were not directional. Ever since I used the front to back, back to front method, I have never had issues.

Just my 2 cents

• 6 months later...

Kevin

At least two of those are fixable, the rattle on the back could be two reasons the rubber stops are missing or maybe the cover of the spare tire is hitting cargo management or the stupid thing they put in there, mine does it to and it is less than 4K miles, try to place something behind it.

The rattle in passenger door in mine is mainly due to the buckle of the seat belt hitting the wall, try to cover it and see if this helps...if the noise if not due to that, I pass then...

If middle threads on any tire are extra worn, usually that is because they are over pressured, maybe those are not designed for 35psi, or they were defective, there is no other reason for that...the vehicle does not do that...

The driver seat moving is definitely a problem they have to fix, maybe the seat is a little loose from the floor, and all they have to do it to tighten it, or if it moves from the base up then definitely is screwed, need replacement/adjustment...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...