Bought the lower priced Edge, now wanting remote start and keyless functions. Ideas please

So happy to have found this forum.

Just bought a 2014 Edge Sport yesterday. I test drove one that was $2000 more and went with the cheaper one (long story that I can bore you with later), but one day after purchase, I wished I had purchased the other one.

After driving home, I realized that I should have spent $2k more and gotten what I wanted.

Anyway.... I would like to add the following: remote start and keyless start.

I looked at Ford's website and am confused over what to get.

It looks like i can add remote start, but am not sure about keyless.

Should I get Ford to install all of it for me, or should I find a radio store to install something like that?

How much would it be for remote start and how much for keyless start?

Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions..

Edited by ccualumni

Welcome!

Since you are new here, you perhaps don't know about the SEARCH function located near the top of the page on the right hand side right under the picture of the Edge.

Here is just one example of what can be found using "adding remote start" in the search box. Plenty of good information there to get started (pun intended!) with.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17035-adding-oem-remote-start-kits-parts-explained-detailed-2011/?hl=%2Badding+%2Bremote+%2Bstart

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1

The Ford keyless start system is a very complicated system that uses multiple antennas, different door handles and basically a completely different wiring setup. You will never be able to add it fully for any kind of reasonable cost, so you're better off exploring aftermarket options.

• Like 1

If that model is still on the dealers lot, you could always talk to your salesman and see what the cost differential is in trading your current on for the other. There's always the possibility the dealership will give you a deal as your an existing customer. I would expect the $2000 differential, plus probably a couple or three grand more, for paperwork, closing the existing loan and originating new loan, deprecation costs per blue book, etc.

The keyless entry is not worth the money in my opinion. It can (and does) fail, and offers no functionality in driving the car. No big deal to just push a button on the remote, and in the southwest, pushing the remote opens the windows and pops the vista roof (if equipped). This is not something that the keyless entry does by default, so you still have have a remote. I've had this feature on many rental cars and never cared whether I had it or not. Get in a push a button to start is not worth the extra cost over putting a key in the ignition.

Remote start is worth it if you in the frozen northern states (locally -10° this week) where it's nice to walk out to your car that already been warmed up. In the southwest it's air conditioning, but I was never able to cool the car adequately in the 10 minute envelope; but it helped.

• Like 1

I disagree completely, the keyless entry is the best feature on my Fusion. I can walk up, grab the door handle and get in. No need to fumble through my pocket to find the right remote (I always carry two, one for each of my cars). I don't have to take off my gloves to hit the button and best of all, if I'm carrying my 1 year old son I don't have to risk dropping him, banging his head on something or whatever as I try to hold him with one hand while I fumble for the key.

• Like 1

I just switched back to my 11 SEL after driving a 14 MKX for the last year. I do miss the touch entry feature but the actual push button start is really not a big deal to me (I know it's a package deal). I also did not like the remote tailgate cuz it's really slow, I find it easier to just open and close it. Both have remote start but my aftermarket Viper reaches a lot further which does come in handy. I would definitely think about going with a good aftermarket remote starter instead of adding the factory unit. One other thing I really missed was the HID kit I have on the SEL. The MKX did not come with HIDs!!!!!

• 3 months later...

I did my 12 Sel for under $300, including dealer activation of remote start using the IDS. That was for the cellular remote version.

If you just want key fob remote start, you can do it yourself for under $200 (including dealer activation).

I created a rather detailed thread on how to do it yourself.